Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#68103 - 06/30/12 02:55 PM A fake Sigil of Baphomet is being used widely!
IcyClawz Offline
stranger

Loc: Israel

This note is for supporters of the Church of Satan!

I can't seem to find any topic about this, so I'm going to point something out:
After a research of a few hours, I have to make it clear that many Satanists are using a fake, unrelated to CoS, Sigil of Baphomet in their blogs, websites, etc.
This is the correct, official Sigil of Baphomet, registered to the Church of Satan:

The letters in Hebrew mean: Leviathan (לויתן)
Now the widely used, fake sigil is the following:

See the difference? The letters says B-Z-N-R-Ts (בזנרץ) (since the letter "ץ" can come ONLY in the end of a word), which means absolutely NOTHING (source: I know Hebrew, I'm from Israel).

If so, where did it come from?
After a short investigation, the only valid explanation is: The fake sigil is used by the black metal band Cradle Of Filth in their album "The Principle Of Evil Made Flesh" - the CD and the inner part of the front cover. The reason they changed the letters is most likely* to avoid copyright infringement (the Leviathan version is registered to the Church of Satan, while the inner pentacle is actually in the public domain).
* No official word from the band on this subject.

Some images:
CD: http://www.covershut.com/cd_covers/Cradl...Cover-10830.jpg
Front Cover: http://www.covershut.com/covers/Cradle-O...Cover-10830.jpg

Edited by IcyClawz (06/30/12 03:39 PM)
Edit Reason: Made something clear.

#68106 - 06/30/12 03:22 PM Re: A fake Sigil of Baphomet is being used widely! [Re: IcyClawz]
Erich Zann Offline

Loc: Germany
It's pretty common that people use the Baphomet they like best, if any. There are no rules which Baphomet is "real" and which isn't. You are right when it comes to the fact that there is one the CoS officially uses - but that doesn't make it the ultimate Baphomet to be used by every Satanist in the world. Furthermore, most of the people around here are not related (anymore) to the CoS at all.

If your favorite Baphomet would be made of french fries or apples it would be as good as the CoS' one - use what works best for you, not what a single organization registered as a trademark.

-Bart Simpson

#68107 - 06/30/12 03:34 PM Re: A fake Sigil of Baphomet is being used widely! [Re: Erich Zann]
IcyClawz Offline
stranger

That's true, but I'm writing this for people who thought they use the CoS sigil. I doubt many would love to use a sigil with no meaning at all, that publicized by some band. After all, it's not the case "which sigil you prefer" because they are absolutely the same (except the letters, of course), only that one has a meaning and one has no meaning at all.
I've seen this mostly in blogs where people show off their The Satanic Bible copy, and then the fake sigil. I'm SURE they meant the CoS sigil, not just any sigil, but didn't realize/notice the difference.

EDIT: Made it clear in the main post, that it's a note for CoS supporters.

#68108 - 06/30/12 03:45 PM Re: A fake Sigil of Baphomet is being used widely! [Re: IcyClawz]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Most of such blogs aren't read often nor is there a high probability of written value.
The baphomet, be it the real or "false" one, only signifies a wanting to associate with the term "Satanism". Few fucks are given on the difference. Both have the same function really.. only by use of marketing there is difference.

Edited by Dimitri (06/30/12 03:50 PM)
Edit Reason: Typo

#68109 - 06/30/12 03:51 PM Re: A fake Sigil of Baphomet is being used widely! [Re: Dimitri]
IcyClawz Offline
stranger

Well then, be this post for the few who "give a rats ass on the difference". I just made a point for those who care but are uninformed.

#68120 - 06/30/12 08:22 PM Re: A fake Sigil of Baphomet is being used widely! [Re: IcyClawz]
LeftHandonFeet Offline

Its all in retrospect, folks. The Sigil of Baphomet posted in this thread known as the CoS official copyrighted symbol is NOT the first symbol in honor and image of the godhead Baphomet. Who is to say that sometime in the future there won't be a new symbol devised that supersedes the current power and authority that tends to rest with the Sigil of Baphomet? There are numerous images on necklace pendants, t shirts, album covers, stickers, etc., that are technically sigils (seals or magical signs or images) of Baphomet (the goat crafed godhead supposedly originating from the Knights Templar prior to it giving birth to the Masonic Temple). When looking at symbols, try not to get too caught in the corporate mentality of immediately affiliating it with the money making bigots that wants you to stay in their herd mentality of spending money on anything and everything they present to you as the ultimate convenience, if not something "necessary" for you to have.
Look at the Lorraine Cross used on the page of the Satanic Bible containing the Nine Satanic Statements. It technically can be named an infinite Celtic cross, according to its design and the 2 symbols that it holds (the '8' laying on its side stands for infinity, and the Lorraine cross above it is said to be a sybmol for brimstone- a Roman cross with an added line going right to left).
However, seeing someone who speaks and reads Hebrew has posted that the "Hebrew characters" in the fake Sigil of Baphomet mean literally nothing, perhaps we should look out for this symbol and be weary of its usage or acceptance. I myself have seen a fake Sigil of Baphomet likened unto the one in this thread being sold at a t shirt shop. I am sure copyright reasons led to the division of this version.
Below is a link to EBay- I typed "Baphomet pendant" in the search query and lots of cool necklaces are for sale, even if not the official Church of Satan sigil.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Baphomet+pendants&_sacat=0

Edited by LeftHandonFeet (06/30/12 08:35 PM)
Edit Reason: added a website link that will help readers of my post to understand it better

#68133 - 07/01/12 12:55 AM Re: A fake Sigil of Baphomet is being used widely! [Re: LeftHandonFeet]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

A fake sigil of baphomet?! Well Jebus Titty-Fucking Chryst, rally the troops because something must be done to put an end to this terrible scourge!

Seriously though; who fucking cares?! It seems like a very inconsequential thing to get your panties in a bunch over.

#68139 - 07/01/12 03:19 AM Re: A fake Sigil of Baphomet is being used widely! [Re: Erich Zann]
Latvian Offline

Loc: EU, Latvia, Riga (old town)
 Originally Posted By: Erich Zann
...Furthermore, most of the people around here are not related (anymore) to the CoS at all. If your favorite Baphomet would be made of french fries or apples it would be as good as the CoS' one - use what works best for you...
I agree with You! I'm from Latvia and because of geographical distance (from Latvia) I'm never been related with CoS... Of course I read great book of high priest Priest of the Church of Satan, Peter H. Gilmore and other good stuff...

I'm Laveyan Satanist and a bit self-made Satanist and for me such hairsplitting like right and false Baphomet isn't important...

#68143 - 07/01/12 04:07 AM Re: A fake Sigil of Baphomet is being used widely! [Re: IcyClawz]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

There was a time you could tell the initiated from the wannabe through how much of the misinformation they spewed. Now the world has to explain everything so even the idiotic can parrot the basics. Due to this everything is becoming mediocre because everyone thinks they understand and can do anything and everything.

If we were to take this example as being of any importance in my eyes you’re not really helping anyone. Maybe you’re just trying to help the tr00-Satanists® ?

Dare I point out that every symbol in Satanism is borrowed from elsewhere? Even that so called registered trademark of the COS.

In reading this page I have to believe the Sigil you point out comes from Walpurgis 9's Hellish Graphics.

In reading this I was always under the impression the trademark registered has to contain the words Church of Satan.

Am I incorrect in my interpretation of this?

~T~

#68146 - 07/01/12 05:58 AM Re: A fake Sigil of Baphomet is being used widely! [Re: ta2zz]
IcyClawz Offline
stranger

I guess you all miss the point and make it hard on yourself. I wasn't talking about the "sole validity of the CoS sigil", I was talking specifically about this one - this meaningless sigil. But so be it, use the B-Z-N-R-Ts for I don't give a rat's ass. You'll look funny when someone asks you what your sigil means, you won't be able to explain it (saying that your B-Z-N-R-Ts means "Leviathan" is just lying and making yourself a "smartass"). I can't see the point of using something you cannot explain. But that's me. Whatever.

#68147 - 07/01/12 06:10 AM Re: A fake Sigil of Baphomet is being used widely! [Re: IcyClawz]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Few have asked me what the sigil means. As a matter of fact; no one ever did. I don't even use it ;\) Take a chill pill.

#68148 - 07/01/12 06:19 AM Re: A fake Sigil of Baphomet is being used widely! [Re: Dimitri]
IcyClawz Offline
stranger

I'm actually very chill, thanks.
It's funny how you turned an informative post into subjective thread. Wasn't meant to be subjective, but only a side-note for those who care. If you give a damn of what you represent, it's your own problem. I do give a damn, and I always strive to perfection when it comes to presenting myself. For all I care, you can call yourself Bznrats, instead of Satanists. After all, "who gives a damn about the difference?", it's a matter of choice isn't it? I proudly support the CoS and LaVeyan Satanism, and choose my symbols wisely.

#68151 - 07/01/12 07:39 AM Re: A fake Sigil of Baphomet is being used widely! [Re: IcyClawz]
Jason King Offline
Banned/Martyrdom Denied

Loc: 65?1%833Q!92A24 (It's a code)
Yeah, I actually had a private exchange a while back on this very topic. My best guess was that the fake baph lettering was perhaps the transcripted name of one of the band members. And, you're absolutely correct, Tzaddi in the final form gives the exact word order, and it is no word in Hebrew.

Whether they did it for copyright or not, the usage of a final form would indicate familiarity with the rules of Hebrew word formation, which would indicate specific intent as to meaning.

JK

#68152 - 07/01/12 07:45 AM Re: A fake Sigil of Baphomet is being used widely! [Re: Jason King]
IcyClawz Offline
stranger

Yeah. The whole point of this post was to inform people that what's written on the false sigil equals to "Blablabla". I love every form of Pentagram, even the Pagan/Wiccan versions of it, they all very artistic to me. But when you write some meaningless bullshit on it, I feel it's disrespectful to my belief. That's my point of view. And if you're being asked what the letters mean, how can you proudly answer if you yourself have no damn idea - embarrassing situation. Instead of giving the impression that you're a wise person, you'll confirm to them their first thought (that you're probably another freak of some sort).

#68155 - 07/01/12 09:13 AM Re: A fake Sigil of Baphomet is being used widely! [Re: IcyClawz]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Hardly subjective.. but it is hard to ignore your issues and need to correct. You strive for perfection in presentation? Good for you. Keep your shit straight, others will also be minding theirs.. they do not need you to write it down for them. Searching out things yourself is always more worthwhile as opposed of others telling so.

Support CoS as much as you want. Point out what you think is correct or faulty. Do your pathworking. I'll be keeping myself busy with supporting/indulging/exploring/working with/in/on Satanism. ;\)

Edited by Dimitri (07/01/12 09:14 AM)

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.