Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#68614 - 07/09/12 08:40 PM Re: A fake Sigil of Baphomet is being used widely! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
William Wright Offline

Loc: Nashville
I think the inverted star inside a circle is plenty interesting enough without the surrounding gobbledygook. Actually, the goat's head also does little for me. Too obvious - "Here, let me SHOW you what all the hubbub is about."

I like that the ToS reduced the Sigil to its most basic parts - circle, inverted star. But unlike ToS's Pentagram, I prefer that the points touch the circle.

I understand that according to the ToS, the points not touching is significant because it symbolizes the idea of the subjective and objective fields being separate. But I speak here not as a philosopher but simply as an observer. Aesthetically speaking, I think the points-touching Pentagram has a more hypnotic effect and is more visually appealing.

#68621 - 07/10/12 01:25 AM Re: A fake Sigil of Baphomet is being used widely! [Re: William Wright]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
I used to hate the goat's head pentacle but it's really grown on me in the past year or so. Unadorned pentagrams are great too-- I just like that you can have so much variety on a simple shape with so many different shades of meaning.

Here's a version I drew a couple weeks ago for my personal use, based off of De Guaita's famous illustration in La Clef de la Magie Noire:

#68622 - 07/10/12 01:56 AM Re: A fake Sigil of Baphomet is being used widely! [Re: The Zebu]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
I didn't keep a photo or copy of it, and it was unfortunately destroyed by dry ice fog during the filming of Asylum of Satan [hence was not seen in that film], but I did a sort of 3-D Baph in which the goat's horns came out and curled around the two upright points, and his nose projected over the horizontal crossbar. His ears still fit, and his chin and beard still fit too. I also eliminated the outer circle, so that the five Hebrew letters just floated in space out there. Did the whole thing in UV-paint on black cardstock, so that when UV light hit it, it really jumped out at you. I also eliminated the goat's eyeballs, giving him glowing triangular "sockets" rather like you see in Batman's mask. As with my previous Baph, pictured in CoS, SuperBaph also had somewhat batwing-like ears and a more simple, sculptured snout modeled from my Irish Setter Brandy. The standard Baph nose artwork always bothered me somehow.

#68629 - 07/10/12 05:08 AM 3-D Baph [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Prion Offline
stranger

Dr Aquino,

Your mission - should you choose to accept it - is to recreate that "3-D Baph" in all its original glory. Do it for Set. \:D

While many would appreciate a physical recreation of your 3-dimensional take on the Sigil of Baphomet (particularly with your fame in mind), a computerized 3D model based on such a design would also be pretty impressive.

Especially in an age when we have 3D printers. The possibilities are endless...

Prion

#68657 - 07/10/12 02:59 PM Re: A fake Sigil of Baphomet is being used widely! [Re: Dimitri]
Latvian Offline

Loc: EU, Latvia, Riga (old town)
 Originally Posted By: Dimitri
...Do your pathworking. I'll be keeping myself busy with supporting/indulging/exploring/working with/in/on Satanism.
It inspires even me! Thanks, Dimitri!

I think the real power of the Community of Satanism is strong individuals. Strong and smart individuals make strong pack and no one can be strong or perfect in all sciences, subjects or know all..., but we have to develop best skills and especially, where we have talents or subjects which are related with our practical life or sometimes just interest us as individuals…

#68658 - 07/10/12 03:17 PM Re: 3-D Baph [Re: Prion]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Prion
Your mission - should you choose to accept it - is to recreate that "3-D Baph" in all its original glory

Well, Brandy's no longer around to model, but I may play around with it.

I should mention that when Anton saw SuperBaph, he remarked that it looked like something that a Marvel Comics superhero would wear as his chest emblem.

As Mr. King reminds us, the "Gothic mysterioso" of the original Baph is part of its punch, even if it's technically kooky.

#68678 - 07/11/12 02:15 AM Re: 3-D Baph [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Prion Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino
As Mr. King reminds us, the "Gothic mysterioso" of the original Baph is part of its punch, even if it's technically kooky.

Speaking of which, Dr Aquino, I noticed you chose a minimalist Pentagram as the emblem of the Temple of Set, kind of a "Baph lite", if you will:

Given the allure of the original Baph, can you explain what were the reasons (aesthetic, philosophical, or otherwise) for adopting a minimalist Pentagram for the ToS? (I assume the above choice of logo was your doing.)

#68710 - 07/11/12 12:34 PM Re: 3-D Baph [Re: Prion]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Prion
[quote=Michael A.Aquino]Can you explain what were the reasons (aesthetic, philosophical, or otherwise) for adopting a minimalist Pentagram for the ToS?

The short answer is Set told us to in the Book of Coming Forth by Night. Cf. The Temple of Set Appendix #2. In subsequent years we figured out why (Appendix #6).

As a point of historical interest: In the original Church of Satan, during years 1966-71, the medallion of the IV° was a white Pentagram against a black circular background. The V° added a red lightning bolt down through the Pentagram. [You can see Anton wearing this in early photos, before he switched to the silver metal pendant.] The Baphomet was worn by degrees I°-III° (red/white/black respectively).

In 1972 I suggested that we used the Baphomet completely, and Anton approved that. Blue was added for IV° and purple for V° [though Anton continued to prefer his pendant].

After 1975 the Temple of Set retained this color-code, except that we reversed the I° & II°. When we eventually added the VI°, it got a gold background. All medallions have silver pentagrams, except that of Honorary Setian, which has a gold Pentagram against green.

After 1975 Anton dropped the color-code; anyone could buy and wear a Baphomet of any color [including new ones such as baby blue and pink].

#68713 - 07/11/12 01:33 PM Re: 3-D Baph [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Jason King Offline
Banned/Martyrdom Denied

Loc: 65?1%833Q!92A24 (It's a code)
The meaning of this symbolism was explained quite well by Dr. Flowers in chapter 10 of his essential Lords of the Left Hand Path, q.v. p. 230. And you are there referred to Dr. Aquino's own Crystal Tablet, namely Appendix 1.

Just sayin'

JK <3 M

p.s. in re: Prion, not Dr. Mike, sorry.

Edited by Jason King (07/11/12 01:35 PM)
Edit Reason: added a p.s.

#68728 - 07/12/12 05:27 AM Re: 3-D Baph [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Prion Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Michael A.Aquino
The short answer is Set told us to in the Book of Coming Forth by Night.

I'm curious, good Doctor. Do you mean that in a completely literal fashion? Or are there various layers of esoteric meaning behind such a statement?

Since I do find it difficult to imagine a metaphysical principle having opinions - I've long considered those a product of human cognition. Then again, mythological imagery can be one means to explore the connection between the psyche and metaphysical principles - but surely only a fundamentalist would simplistically take myth for straightforward fact.

(Not wanting to veer too far off the topic of this thread.)

#68731 - 07/12/12 07:04 AM Re: 3-D Baph [Re: Prion]
Jason King Offline
Banned/Martyrdom Denied

Prion, Dr. Mike was referring to this:

Originally Posted By: Set
With the years my Pentagram was corrupted, yet time has not the power to destroy it.

Its position was restored by the Church of Satan, but its essence was dimmed with a Moorish name, and the perverse letters of the Hebrews, and the goat of decadent Khar.

To the latter point, I believe the reply would be that GBM workings occur in a type of space beyond the physical and hence categories such as "opinions" and "words" are just the interpretive outline placed on such vergences by the human mind. Translating the ineffable, so to speak.

Does this mean I believe any of this? No. But when exchanging ideas, it's always best to understand your opponent's position as they understand it, and in the best possible such light. Then, and only then, can you rejoin with force.

Just sayin'

JK <3 M

Edited by Jason King (07/12/12 07:06 AM)
Edit Reason: added an apostrophe and an "s"

#68740 - 07/12/12 11:38 AM Re: 3-D Baph [Re: Jason King]
Latvian Offline

CoS and other genuine versions are lovely, but I am north man and Baltic Satanist from LV ane a bit more than 20 years for rituals use my own pentagrqmm with words in my native language!

#68741 - 07/12/12 12:31 PM Re: A fake Sigil of Baphomet is being used widely! [Re: IcyClawz]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

O.K., so Jason doesn't want S-A-T-A-N in the English alphabet 'cause it isn't spooky enough. So how about we do it in Marabic:

#68742 - 07/12/12 12:50 PM Re: A fake Sigil of Baphomet is being used widely! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Jason King Offline
Banned/Martyrdom Denied

No. I've already said that I use my own postmodern Pentagram. click here

JK

Edited by Jason King (07/12/12 12:53 PM)

#68776 - 07/12/12 07:04 PM Re: A fake Sigil of Baphomet is being used widely! [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Latvian Offline

Thanks for Marabic - I even didn't know about existence of Marabic! Quite interesting! I'm going to find out a bit more... http://www.freewebs.com/forbiddeneye/infochamber.htm

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.