Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#7166 - 04/04/08 07:43 AM Re: Converting. [Re: Octavius]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
I'm sorry Octavius, but in that case I will have to back down and not debate this. I am not someone who looks into the Pagan religions, particularly not Wicca. However one of my ex girlfriends was Wiccan and I have had a few Wiccan friends. I have based my opinions of Wicca on my on experiences and if that isn't a valid enough reason for you then I'm sorry but nothing I have ever will be good enough for you. I see no point in wasting my time studying in detail the delusional few.

I don't mean to give any impressions that I'm the guy who knows everything but my opinions are far from baseless. I hope you can see that.

A lot of people here have a tendency to insult the intelligence of anyone who speaks out on a topic they are not specifically an expert on, with phrases like "try actual research" and other condescending comments often being flung around. I seriously hope we don't end up destroying this forum with our own pretentiousness because we're coming close at present. For a new poster this place is nothing but a firing range with their ego as the damn target and it's rather sickening.

As for the debate itself. I have witnessed people who claim to be Wicca lifting beliefs wholesale out of TV shows, literature, even games like World Of Darkness. What I saw was nothing but a fad religion, it was rather pathetic, contradictory at time and internally inconsistent. I've spoken to people who think they are vampires and have to drink blood, people who try to do candle magic, people who use tarot cards and crystals in place of modern medicine. Half of them seemed convinced they could talk to the dead, or read each others mind, or they would claim to have psychic links. One person I knew would randomly do an over exaggerated fake cough because he believed he was psychically linked to people who drown.... Wicca is a mismatch religion that doesn't make sense. Show me an internally consistent and sensible (as sensible as possible for theism) example of this and I will retract that statement.

#7172 - 04/04/08 09:34 AM Re: Converting. [Re: TornadoCreator]
Octavius Offline

Loc: just visiting
I'm not asking or expecting you to be an expert, I'm asking and expecting you to inform yourself. The fact that you view my request as a waste of time is disappointing and really speaks volumes about your character. For example, I've met and spoken with many soldiers in my life, but I'd never make a blanket statement on what it is to serve in the military based on my limited knowledge. I don't expect anyone to spend six years researching their replies here, but if you're going to spout off on a topic without anything to back it up, make sure you state that it's your opinion.

To be clear, this isn't about Wicca. It's about speaking from an informed and intelligent perspective. Go back and look at those posts from Dev from a few weeks ago... did you take the time to read through them and view the links to the various videos? Crazy or not, the guy knows how to present his position and back it up with something other than his opinion. At least he gave me something to THINK about.

Yes, Satanism allows you to bleat your opinion loud and mightily. But without substance, integrity, and purpose, your posts are nothing but dismissible. That goes for everyone on this site, myself included.

#7206 - 04/04/08 07:44 PM Re: Converting. [Re: Octavius]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
As much as I agree with your basic idea and points there Octavius, I believe that judging things from multiple independent personal experiences is normally sufficient to make a general opinion on a subject. Now this is subject to situation obviously. If I meet three French people I don't assume that all French people are the same as them because that would be quite a blanket opinion, however when it comes to ideologies it's different. People of a specific religion, political affiliation, philosophy and ideology are normally, in my experience quite similar, (and I realise I'm using the same method of personal experiences to justify using personal experiences to make an opinion on a subject matter, but bare with me).

If I meet 50 Southern Baptists, they are normally pretty damn similar. Same if I meet 50 Mormons. They are all the bloody same. Every Liberal Hippy seems to act the same, and all the right wing conservatives seem the same as well. I can't argue with this, it's what I see daily. This is why when I see not just 2 or 3 but at least 20, maybe even 30 people in my life who claimed to be Wiccan, including a girlfriend I dated for a year, who told me a lot about her crackpot delusions, I trust my senses to accept that this trend will continue. I can't surely have found every fucking anomaly in Wicca. Granted I have said I will revoke my stance if people can provide convincing evidence that it is a real religion, and it has some internal consistency but I don't see it.

When it comes down to it Octavius, almost everything I state is an opinion, mine, that's why I said it. It's an obvious conclusion that what I said is my opinion, so obvious it doesn't need to be stated. The people on this forum are intelligent enough to know the difference between colloquialisms making it so that an opinion is spoken about as though it was fact and someone speaking actual fact.

Personally I think we'll have to agree that although we hold the same basic idea I think we have a rather different scale by which we consider someone able to speak about something with authority. I am much more lenient that yourself in that respect. Whether this is a good thing or not I think is a matter of opinion.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.013 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 16 queries. Zlib compression disabled.