Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#709 - 09/27/07 09:57 PM San Antonio Apartments Banning Tattoos
MCSA TEK Offline
pledge

Loc: Orlando Fl USA
It's against the law for landlords to discriminate based on the color of a person's skin. But can they reject you because of what's on your skin?

Some San Antonio apartment complexes are refusing to rent to people with tattoos and body piercings. News 4 WOAI Trouble Shooter Jaie Avila investigates the case of one couple who says that policy is unfair.

LINK

Chris

#711 - 09/27/07 11:25 PM Re: San Antonio Apartments Banning Tattoos [Re: MCSA TEK]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
My wife and I were planning to move to San Antonio within the next 6 years. With our combined 27 tattoos and 20? piercings(who has time to count), I guess we won't be looking at apartments. It's still a toss up between San Antonio and Memphis, though this gives a bonus to Memphis.

I can understand the thought process behind this action. These are upscale apartments, from what the article said. They tend to follow their own set of rules. Stereotypes abound. Afterall, no one that tattooed and pierced could be successful and law abiding. It reminds me of my 10th high school reunion. I attended with all my piercings and tatoos(obviously), and thinking to myself I wouldn't be the only one with a tongue ring. I was wrong. I immediately became a focus of attention. Which I had not intended. I had classmates that I barely talked to in HS telling me their life story. Yeah they worked at such and such big firm and were making hand over fist money. Tee times were a bitch, etc. But they envied me. I was able to be myself and be free. I didn't have to dress up in a monkey suit each day and be held accountable. I didn't have to put on false airs to woo a client. I heard time and time again, from asses I barely knew, "I wish I could do what you do. I wish I could get a tattoo" My advise to all them....so do it. What's more important? Your 6 figure salary, smoke and mirror life? Or doing what you really want to do? I may not have all of life's riches. I may not be able to afford the next model BMW. But I live each day on my terms and am free. Got on a tangent there.

#714 - 09/28/07 05:17 AM Re: San Antonio Apartments Banning Tattoos [Re: MCSA TEK]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut
I spent some time in TX back in 89-90 San Antonio was where the long hairs and tattooed people were more accepted… Over in Jasper county I was continually told “your not from around here”… How could they tell? Was it my long hair or tattooed arms? Was it simply the fact that I dressed to my own standards and did not need or want a cowboy hat? Did they realize how unintelligent they sounded saying that like they are some carnie mind reader…

Remember they are still fighting the civil war in most of the southern states…

The rich will always try to make their own little rules to keep them safe from what they fear… Freedom of mind and body is a big fear to that type…

Tattooed people facing discrimination, seriously this is not news…

~T~

#949 - 10/07/07 03:36 PM Re: San Antonio Apartments Banning Tattoos [Re: ta2zz]
Sinistar Offline

Loc: New York City
It would be great if someone sued for discrinination and actually won.

#956 - 10/07/07 05:40 PM Re: San Antonio Apartments Banning Tattoos [Re: Sinistar]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
They consutled with a lawyer, who told them that it is within a condominium association's rights to deny applicants, and have specific rules for behavior and dress.

It sucks, but it's legal (at least for how at any rate).

Although I'm sure if these folks had been black, oh how the shit would have hit the fan.

#959 - 10/08/07 07:23 AM Re: San Antonio Apartments Banning Tattoos [Re: Nemesis]
Sinistar Offline

Loc: New York City
That's true, it is part of behavior and dress. Everybody loves to play the discrimination card nowadays so I was thinking "why not?". Texas is a very conservative state, so this was to be expected in some places.

#986 - 10/08/07 09:55 PM Re: San Antonio Apartments Banning Tattoos [Re: Sinistar]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut
Yeah the only news here is it is happening in San Antonio which was a very lenient area in TX back in the 90's...

I also feel the right lawyer could make a case... But you would have to be some tattooed big wig Texan to even think about it...

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.019 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 20 queries. Zlib compression disabled.