Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>
Topic Options
#9133 - 05/28/08 12:06 AM Re: The Satanic Bible [Re: SATANAS]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Originally Posted By: SATANAS
not as politicly correct as most people on here

It is not about being politically correct, but it is about talking about things that you know…

cant spell for shit - does that make me less of a satanist ? - i didnt think so

Some might say yes it does make you simply a poser or wannabe… A Satanist would want to look as good as he could here or anywhere… On this forum you are your words, profile, and your avatar… Nothing more… A Satanist would take the time to type in a program such as Word… This will improve your spelling… Which is much more Satanic than lazily claiming you know your spelling sucks…

I was where you are once…

TRY HARDER… Do this for yourself…

You also know that not capping your I when speaking about yourself tells much about your self-respect…

~T~

Oh yeah read my quote a few times over…

#9143 - 05/28/08 04:33 AM Re: The Satanic Bible [Re: SATANAS]
Amina Offline

Loc: Denmark
cant spell for shit - does that make me less of a satanist ?

Yes it does. Or rather: I am from Denmark. I am also bad at English spelling, but I use a spellchecker. This do not remove all my errors but it helps. I am sure you are able to do the same, and by doing so show that you respect yourself and those you communicate with. Not trying to look your best is a sign of lack of self respect.

- Amina

#9748 - 06/22/08 04:39 AM Re: The Satanic Bible [Re: Deathlehem]
Caine Offline
lurker

I am acutally looking for a copy of TSB, i am unable to find one and from what I heard from a friend, it is impossible to get a complete version. With all the crap that is out on the internet, I don't know what is an actual place I can go to read it. Please let me know. Thanks.
#9749 - 06/22/08 04:47 AM Re: The Satanic Bible [Re: Caine]
psiren Offline
pledge

Loc: Spain
You can read it here in the Media Room section.
#9851 - 06/28/08 01:22 AM Re: The Satanic Bible [Re: psiren]
Sinthesis Offline
stranger

Loc: various places in New Jersey
For the most part, reading the Satanic Bible was a joke because first I had read Nietzsche, which is a thousand times more insightful, and reading TSB after that just feels unoriginal and repetitive. It is indeed good for Christian de-programming, but I deprogrammed myself out of Christianity without LaVey's help just fine. LaVey's Satanism is too anti-Christian for my tastes. Not that I'm not anti-Christian (in the philosophic sense), but I would also prefer to assert something instead of only denying something. I wonder if TSB is ONLY useful for de-programming people out of Christianity, which would make it pretty pathetic.

I am annoyed because LaVey seems unable to make up his mind about whether or not he really believes in magic and Satan, or if he is just playing and trying to keep the act up. I get the feeling he was a metaphoric Satanist but TSB was actually terribly not clear about that. Even if he didn't believe in Satan it seems like he believed in magic, which I might actually view as more primitive.

I agree with *someone?* that the semi-critical view of the Sexual Revolution is awesome. I think LaVeyan Satanism is partially a reaction against the Summer of Love.

However I have read several books that merely have one concept or line which make the rest of the muck worth trudging through. Despite my mostly critical attitude toward TSB, the following quotes almost redeem the entire book.

“The formalized beginning and end of the ceremony acts as a dogmatic, anti-intellectual device, the purpose of which is to disassociate the activities and frame of reference of the outside world from that of the ritual chamber, when the whole will must be employed. This facet of the ceremony is MOST important to the intellectual, as he ESPECIALLY requires the ‘decompression chamber’ effect of the chants, bells, candles, and other trappings, before he can put his pure and willful desires to work for himself, in the projection and utilization of his imagery.”

The story of my life in the occult. Rather than any structure or system to focus my will, I have mainly needed transitions to help me de-focus on everything else and get in the zone.

“When religion consistently becomes a solitary situation it reaches into that realm of self-denial which runs concurrent with anti-social behavior…It is for this reason that the Satanist should attempt to seek out others with whom to engage in these ceremonies.”

^^...and that is the reason I am on this forum. Quite frustrated about this part, I don't live near enough to major cities. I am wondering if I should just start a drum circle or a metal band because it would still be a cool group experience but it wouldn't require me to sift through the world in search of people of a "common perspective" which will probably turn out not to be so similar, and whose personalities I might not even be able to stand anyway.

#9853 - 06/28/08 03:26 AM Re: The Satanic Bible [Re: Sinthesis]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
I'm sure that you'll find one or two on here whose personalities you can stand, although the drum circle might be a giggle.

Thanks for your input so far. It's been intelligent and well presented, you have gotten a few threads, that had much to offer originally but were detoured with viral shit (including this one) back on track.

I agree with you. I can only imagine what I would have thought of TSB had I read it last instead of first. And having started this thread feel compelled to say, it was never meant to be a thread that said the SB was the shit, but rather a place to reflect on what good may be able to be gleaned from it.

So again, well done, nice to have you around.

Zeph

#9855 - 06/28/08 03:58 AM Re: The Satanic Bible [Re: Sinthesis]
psiren Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: Sinthesis
I wonder if TSB is ONLY useful for de-programming people out of Christianity, which would make it pretty pathetic.

I've never been a christian, I was christened as a child and sent to a christian school (by Atheist and agnostic parents ) but never actually believed in any of it as far back as i can remember.
I did however find TSB useful as an intro to Satanism in general. I had no idea what it was; in my head it was christians gone bad, sacrifices and such. So from someone at that level of knowledge it's very useful.

I too got confused with whether or not LaVey believed in Satan, I tend to think not but he is rather vague on the whole issue. That aside though, I found the first half of the book very interesting and basically a sound philosophy.
The second half in my opninion is pure nonsense, page fillers, mumbo jumbo. But the first half is worth the read.

#9856 - 06/28/08 04:22 AM Re: The Satanic Bible [Re: psiren]
Sinthesis Offline
stranger

Loc: various places in New Jersey
Thanks for the compliments, Zeph.

Siren, if you like the Book of Fire/Infernal Diatribe, I recommend Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Nietzsche, as well as the first few passages of The Antichrist by Nietzsche. You can find both of them online, I think, and the second one is a really awesome quick read. ("Our recipe for happiness" is to me one of the finest things ever written.) I might as well recommend the novel Demian by Hermann Hesse at this point too, which was one of my biggest initiations into the realms of darkness. It is more brooding and contemplative and less fiery and energetic than the literature we've been discussing so far but it is amazing in its insistence on spiritual authenticity and its counter to the Christian rejection of human nature. Though Hesse had a Catholic background he is definitely relevant to many people who did not grow up with that.

If you do a substantial reading of Nietzsche you begin to feel like LaVey invented almost nothing new. I know I'm name dropping Nietzsche a lot like I'm some kind of cocky academic but I think if you appreciate the ripoff you will appreciate the original all the more.

I'm glad you thought TSB served as a decent intro. I guess my problem was that I was already introduced to Satanism when I read it. I guess my perspective is skewed then. But I still have to ask, if TSB is the intro book - where is the advanced course?

#9875 - 06/28/08 03:35 PM Re: The Satanic Bible [Re: Sinthesis]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

The most interesting thing about The Satanic Bible is it has never gone out of print… That in itself says something…
Also here we are 40 odd years later still discussing it…

Originally Posted By: psiren
I too got confused with whether or not LaVey believed in Satan, I tend to think not but he is rather vague on the whole issue.

He leaves such decisions to the individual… Just like myself sometimes I can believe in a force beyond our understandings sometimes I think I am silly for ever harboring such beliefs… It is human to wonder and change you ideas from time to time is it not?

If you do a substantial reading of Nietzsche you begin to feel like LaVey invented almost nothing new.

Can we even begin to believe that anyone invented human behavior? LaVey invented nothing but a way for him to profit off of human behavior… Selling his followers everything he spoke against…

What I took away from that book was it was ok to be human…

But I still have to ask, if TSB is the intro book - where is the advanced course?

We are living it...

~T~

I am done rambling…

#9879 - 06/28/08 04:46 PM Re: The Satanic Bible [Re: Sinthesis]
psiren Offline
pledge

Thanks for the recommendations, I've never read any Nietzsche, a friend of mine has also recommended these 2 books to me (also pointing out the rip-off quailty of TSB) so I shall definitely check them out some time.

As for the 'advanced course', I don't know. I guess I'm different than a lot on here in that I don't read a lot of 'Satanic literature' if that's the right phrase. I'm not particularly interested in pursuing it to any great level, not in an academic sense anyway. Perhaps ‘intro’ was the wrong word for what I meant. What I meant was that before reading it I had a fucked-up idea of what Satanism is. A better phrase would be ‘eye-opener’.

#9880 - 06/28/08 05:00 PM Re: The Satanic Bible [Re: ta2zz]
psiren Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: ta2zz

He leaves such decisions to the individual… Just like myself sometimes I can believe in a force beyond our understandings sometimes I think I am silly for ever harboring such beliefs… It is human to wonder and change you ideas from time to time is it not?

Of course, yes. Don't you find the vagueness slightly annoying though? I mean was he covering all bases? It's one thing to change your ideas over time but to be vague about them at a given time annoys me. My views may change in the future and have in the past but I know what I believe now.

#10378 - 07/30/08 06:43 AM Re: The Satanic Bible [Re: Deathlehem]
mutt mutton Offline
stranger

Loc: paragould ar
well for me t stb opened my eyes to different
kinds of stuuf such as indulgence not ...abstinence
to me that meant have fun in life
dont deny yourself and if you can use
magick&ritual to help you get what you want
hail!!!!!

#10380 - 07/30/08 01:51 PM Re: The Satanic Bible [Re: mutt mutton]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: mutt mutton
well for me t stb opened my eyes to different
kinds of stuuf such as indulgence not ...abstinence
to me that meant have fun in life
dont deny yourself and if you can use
magick&ritual to help you get what you want
hail!!!!!

For starters I want to ask you to do something about your spelling, grammar and punctuation. It really get's a bit the beast out of me if I see writings like that. Almost like I am dealing with a less intelligent person. Like said before, use word or another spell checker. You find different versions online and otherwise: http://www.spellcheck.net/

Secondly, in which way did the SB open your eyes differently? Could you clarify me that part?

#10384 - 07/30/08 05:45 PM Re: The Satanic Bible [Re: ZephyrGirl]
coelentrate Offline

Loc: Dundee, Scotland
I have a problem with the Satanic Bible. I'm a scientist and skeptic. I will not, cannot just read a book targeted to the uneducated masses and believe everything, or even anything, that it says without good reason.

Lavey says lots and lots of things that I agree with. But, he says everything as a matter-of-fact. In his books, things seem to be objective 100% fact, when they're really philosophical ideas. Worse, he doesn't tend to say why he made the conclusions he did. I can only assume he wants me to take his word for it.

The worst example I can think of at this moment is not from the Satanic Bible, but from "the satanic witch". where he spends pages and pages describing a psychiatric system of personal manipulation based on judging people by outward physical appearances. That the length of limbs and the girth of the torso are a manifestation of personality. There is actually a law of biological science that goes against this.

My current stance as far as how to act goes, is to try it (lesser magic, that is. I want to become great at lesser magic) and find out. What I did above was only handwaving, the very thing I accused Lavey of. I know that the only way to know for sure is to try it out myself. I'll let you know how it goes. Meanwhile I'd like to know your reflections on this.

#10385 - 07/30/08 05:58 PM Re: The Satanic Bible [Re: coelentrate]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
From what I've read, Satanic Rituals is also written as fact, but wholly made up.

I think though, if you can get beyond that, there is still much lesser magick to be learnt from them. Although, as a female, the Satanic witch is not what I would model my behaviour on.

Zeph

Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.024 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.