Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7216 - 04/04/08 11:14 PM Gun Control Laws
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Gun Control Laws

On the last forum there was a post on gun control that went in quite a few different directions from where it would be expected…

I myself am licensed to carry a handgun concealed in my state for my protection and self defense… I do… This was something important to me as a young man so I worked towards making people aware that gun laws only limit the law-abiding citizen… I also used to boycott Time, Life, Warner as they were some of the biggest pushers of anti gun regulations…

Where do you stand…

Can you legally carry weapons where you reside? How does this make you feel?

Do you think carrying a weapon makes you more prone to be involved with gun violence?

If you are in the back of a store and you notice a robbery would you pull your gun and shoot the perp?

As stated I can and do carry a handgun it makes me feel prepared and a bit humbled… I myself think that carrying a gun as long as you have used said gun at the range really makes the responsible adult never wish to use it… So I must admit for me carrying has left me wanting to use my weapon for its intended purpose less not more…

To answer the question about the scenario I purposed simply put no… If I were in the back of a store and felt I was not in danger or none of my own were in fear of harm, you are on your own… I myself have no need to save humanity from itself, only the wish to protect myself from crazy fuckers… Like assholes that think they’re going to beat you down on the bus or some other equally threatening action…

There will always be a bigger dog… Tools can help level the playing field…

Peace

~T~

#7221 - 04/05/08 12:40 AM Re: Gun Control Laws [Re: ta2zz]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
 Quote:
I myself am licensed to carry a handgun concealed in my state for my protection and self defense…

As was I. I still own my handgun, but I no longer possess the license to carry it concealed.

Quote:

In the state of Virginia, a citizen is allowed to carry a handgun on their person, in the open, into almost any building. We are restricted from carrying them into a restaurant that serves alcohol. However, our legislature is proposing a new law that would allow that. I believe we have some other restrictions, such as schools and government buildings. I like the idea that a common citizen can arm themself and walk into the mall to do some shopping. However, 99% of us do not. I have yet to go grocery shopping and see Average Joe packing a sidearm in aisle 7.

Quote:
Do you think carrying a weapon makes you more prone to be involved with gun violence?

I have to say yes. It makes you feel empowered and may warp your judgement. I have related my story several times on this site. I once had the license to carry a concealed weapon. I pulled that weapon on a shithead, hoping to provoke him into a reaction that justified my pulling the trigger. It didn't happen. I was arrested for brandishing a weapon. He walked the streets and later went on to commit 2 rapes and fled the US. The cops asked for my help in finding him. The charges against me were dropped, but I never renewed my license to carry a concealed weapon. At the time, I felt justified to pull my weapon on him. It was the wrong decision, and had I shot him, I would have been in the wrong and probably ended up doing several years on 2nd degree murder.

Quote:
If you are in the back of a store and you notice a robbery would you pull your gun and shoot the perp?

Absolutely. The next victim after the clerk would be you. I remember the Luby's Restaurant shooting in Texas. Had the patrons been allowed to carry a concealed weapon, the body count could have been significantly less. I am a supporter of teachers being allowed to carry weapons into the classroom. Look at all the recent school shootings. Had one teacher been armed with a .357 and knew how to use it, maybe the body count would be 3 instead of 20. I watch a lot of the police video shows on tv. I am amazed at the number of folks that turn tail and flee the minute some thug acts stupid. There can be 5 burly guys standing in line to buy Twinkies and beer, and some kid will brandish a knife and demand money. Burly guys go running. Five against one seems pretty good odds. I am not the biggest guy in the world, but if I happen upon a crime, I am doing everything within my power to severely hurt or kill the perp.

Quote:
As stated I can and do carry a handgun it makes me feel prepared and a bit humbled… I myself think that carrying a gun as long as you have used said gun at the range really makes the responsible adult never wish to use it… So I must admit for me carrying has left me wanting to use my weapon for its intended purpose less not more…

I applaud you for your sense of judgement. I would hope you don't jump into a rash decision like I did, and pull it when unnecessary. However, I would also hope that you would have sense enough to pull it when I am being robbed, raped, beat down, or in a spree shooting.

Washington, DC has the strictest gun control law in the nation. No citizen is allowed to own or possess any gun, period. Yet we continually lead, or mix in the top 3, in the nation for gun violence. Why? Because only criminals own guns. They don't fear the average Joe to be packing heat and know how to use it. Perhaps if a few Joe's were packing heat, our crime rate might drop.

#7260 - 04/05/08 05:42 PM Re: Gun Control Laws [Re: fakepropht]
Pan420 Offline
pledge

Loc: New Mexico
Well in new mexico it is leagle to carry a concealed firearm. I do not carry one around town with me. For i don't have the licence. But I have several guns at home. I find it easier that way. Cause with my temper and behavior I am afraid that I would use the excessive force. But I guess to each his own. If you can be responsible with a concealed weapon than good for you, just use your better judgment.

"Use your fist and not your mouth",
Marilyn Manson

#7375 - 04/07/08 04:44 AM Re: Gun Control Laws [Re: ta2zz]
Ringmaster Offline

Loc: Salem Oregon
 Originally Posted By: ta2zz

Where do you stand…

~T~

Currently I walk with, shower with, sleep with, eat with, ect... an m-16A2 but that is only because of my job. My ability to properly use and carry this weapon makes me feel a hell of a lot more comfortable then if I wasn't walking around with it, I would rather have it and not need to use it then need to use it and not have it. Anyway personally I think just simply owning a sidearm doesn't make anyone more prone to violence. How can you be more prone to violence if people don't know you even carry a sidearm?
But i do agree with people who own sidearms about protecting themselves because I am going to do the same thing when I come back from Iraq.
To answer your question about shooting the perp robbing a store. Damn right I would have no problem shooting that individual because my being a witness could possibly place my life in danger and that I cannot allow. But I would ONLY use the weapon when my life is threatened not the same way most wanna be gang banger thugs use them.
I am aware that sidearms get a bad reputation due to people who abuse the right to carry a weapon, so I do agree with controlling firearms to an extent due to a persons past criminal history but other then that I do not agree one bit with most gun control laws.
I also praise the fact that your maturity makes you want to use your sidearm less and less. I would never want to take another beings life away from them but if my life is in danger it becomes a "my life or his life" scenario.

#7379 - 04/07/08 06:06 AM Re: Gun Control Laws [Re: Ringmaster]
Sinistar Offline

Loc: New York City
In our society, a gun is power, no question. In my state, auxiliary police officers and security personnel are referred to as "Rent-a-Cops" because they don't carry. Even a security officer who carries a weapon wouldn't even be subjected to insults because of that firearm.

The first time you use any firearm and take someone's life, you feel the shock, awe, pain, and grief. After you keep doing it, it hurts less and less. That's the real pain of losing humanity.

I imagine that those who have used a firearm would be less inclined to use it because of the negative emotions as a result.

#9256 - 05/30/08 10:27 PM Re: Gun Control Laws [Re: ta2zz]
Rune Darksinger Offline
stranger

Loc: New Jersey
>>Can you legally carry weapons where you reside? How does this make you feel?<<

we have weird gun laws in new jersey, as we are run by weak willed ninnies such as mcgreevey and corzine. i think we should be allowed to carry and own firearms and it irks me that we are very strict about it.

>>Do you think carrying a weapon makes you more prone to be involved with gun violence?<<

no. i think not carrying a gun makes you more prone to being a victim. i don't consider it evolution to become too weak willed to defend yourself against threat and death.

>>If you are in the back of a store and you notice a robbery would you pull your gun and shoot the perp?<<

I'd shoot him. If I did not have a gun, i'd beat him senseless with a mop handle or something. we have become a society of victims fearful to act against those who prey upon us. we seek appeasement from those who want to kill us, be it a thug beating your brains out with a tire iron or an islamic maniac threatening to kill the infidels.

#9264 - 05/31/08 03:23 AM Re: Gun Control Laws [Re: ta2zz]
devul Offline
stranger

Loc: Yuma, AZ
 Quote:
Can you legally carry weapons where you reside?

I live in Yuma, AZ . Anyone want to guess my profession? (Hint: I’m carrying a holstered 9mm as I write this.) The rules on-base are different than off-base. Off–base anyone can carry UN-concealed without a permit anywhere (excluding banks, government offices, bars, or anywhere that posts a ban on weapons) and a lot of people do. This town still has a little bit of a "Wild West" feel to it. Off-base the weapon must be loaded with a round in the chamber. Weapons do not have to be registered.

On-base is the exact opposite; the weapon must be condition 4 (ammo removed, chamber empty, weapon on safe), and ALL weapons (including BB-guns, crossbows, even blowguns) must be registered.

Quote:

Not necessarily; but I think that some people may not be mature enough to use their weapon as a LAST resort. A visible weapon can serve as a deterrent, though.

Quote:

Only if someone’s life was in jeopardy. Physical property is usually not as valuable as human life. Most people in this forum would agree that we only have one life to live. I’d rather see life preserved than taken.

#9347 - 06/03/08 12:30 AM Re: Gun Control Laws [Re: devul]
97and107 Offline

Loc: New Mexico
I believe in the right of all citizens to carry weapons, as long as they are abiding by the laws (provided the laws make sense)

I do carry a knife but I don't carry a gun. I believe I'm within my safe limits to not need to carry a gun, even though I do go out at night I try not to take risks.

I don't carry because I don't have a permit or anything like that.

#9356 - 06/03/08 06:20 AM Re: Gun Control Laws [Re: 97and107]
Lestat_from_lt Offline
stranger

Loc: Lithuania, Ukmerge
I myself carry a double edged knife which is great advantage in situations where my life is in danger. I can give you an example. I was attacked by 5 people gang who were quite drunk. They tried to rob me and push me off the bridge (if they've would suceede, I would be dead). I slashed man's chest. One writer said that a sting of a bee makes better reaction than being hit with pole. It wasn't a big wound, only few drops of blood, but the weapon scared them away (probably gang thought that i am going to use knife seriously). Although I hate violence and I do not promote it, I think that weapon comes handy in tricky situations.

#9357 - 06/03/08 06:22 AM Re: Gun Control Laws [Re: Lestat_from_lt]
Lestat_from_lt Offline
stranger

I'm sorry if i have made any gramatical or logical mistakes. English is a foreign language to me

#9360 - 06/03/08 12:48 PM Re: Gun Control Laws [Re: Lestat_from_lt]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
You've done well so far, Lestat, considering English is a second language for you. For some on here, English is their native language, but we sure can't tell that from reading their posts!

Cheers,
Nemesis

#9369 - 06/03/08 06:46 PM Re: Gun Control Laws [Re: Nemesis]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
Hand guns, automatics and semi automatics are all illegal where I live. So is carrying pretty much any type of weapon.

Knuckle dusters, knives, nun chucks, capsicum spray, cattle prods, motorcycle chains (although I've seen some great chain belts, I'm not sure if you can even still wear them), all illegal to carry. Oh yeah and of course cross bows, bows and arrows) except sports ones, although I'm not sure exactly how they rule on that and dart guns, bb guns are pretty hard to get and the ones you can get are piss weak and the bb's are plastic, a blow darts all illegal. Pretty boring huh?

So you're pretty much fucked here if you want to defend yourself. ACtually you're really not even allowed to defend you home and property, so don't hurt that damn intruder or he'll sue you.

For house security it's back to basics I'm afraid. Big dog, baseball bat and half a pool cue, one by the front door one by the back door.

Rolls of coins are still allowed, so that is always a good one to keep in your purse if you're really worried, but quite frankly, I have very rarely been worried walking at night pretty much anywhere around Adelaide. Mind you, I ooze attitude when I want, and I tend to turn it on a bit if I am in a dark place etc. Except when it comes to the aboriginal gangs, then I try and ooze confidence but not aggression. It's a fine line.

As for helping someone, it would really depend on the situation. If I was in a service station say, at night and my kids where in the car (which they always lock when I walk away from them/it) I probably wouldn't do shit.

Australian guns laws were totally redone when Martin Bryant shot up Pt Arthur some years ago. I think it still stands as the most people shot by a single gunman anywhere in the world. The then government jumped on the event as a way to totally get rid of automatic weapons. Sparking a string of conspiricy theories.

Zeph

#9384 - 06/04/08 04:14 AM Re: Gun Control Laws [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Lestat_from_lt Offline
stranger

Well thank you Nemesis \:\)

Gun laws are quite stupid in some ways, but nevertheless, you must protect yourself or your property. As I said before, I believe that handguns are not nesecerilly best solution, except if your foe is armed with one. If you stand against thief who has gun with bare hands or 'cold' weapon... You have almost no chance to survive, except: the foe doesn't want to kill you or foe is very stupid and he doesn't know how to use a gun

#9386 - 06/04/08 12:14 PM Re: Gun Control Laws [Re: Lestat_from_lt]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Where I am from a double bladed knife is illegal... The last I looked as you said if you are facing a gun a cold weapon such as your knife does very little... Unless you are fast enough to deflect the bullets with that thing... ;\)

Welcome to the forum

~T~

#9394 - 06/05/08 01:13 AM Re: Gun Control Laws [Re: ta2zz]
Lestat_from_lt Offline
stranger

thank you tazz

in my country double edged knife is illegal too. But you need something to defence with and as I said before: i am definetly not a good fighter, so the weapon such as brass knuckle wouldn't be very handy to me. The image of long knife scares the foe a bit. The self defensive reaction makes a foe to reatreat.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.029 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.