Topic Options
#72353 - 10/31/12 10:22 PM Best Horror Films
blackblooded Offline
stranger

Loc: Louisiana
Friday The 13th Series
Banshee!!!
Survival of The Dead
Return of The Living Dead Series(personal favorite being Rave to the Grave)
Dawn of the Dead
Night of the Living Dead
Creepshow
The Shining
The Haunting in Connecticut
Atrocious
Left for Dead(Western/Horror, for the hot cowboys)
Dead Souls
Lake Placid

It may seem like a long list, but ALOT didn't make the cut (Ghoul, Remains, The Exorcist, anything by SyFy). I think any horror buff should see these.

#72361 - 11/01/12 06:43 AM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: blackblooded]
Jason King Offline
Banned/Martyrdom Denied

Loc: 65?1%833Q!92A24 (It's a code)
We may be overdoing the "best of" topics, but be that as it may, I'm surprised that you didn't include The Exorcist on your list. Or for slashers, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original) and House of 1000 Corpses.

And seriously, Lake Placid? That's the alligator movie with Jeff Daniels, right?

And where is Session 9 on your list?

Zombies weren't the least bit scary until 28 Days Later, and even then, they weren't all that.

I realize taste is subjective, and I'll give you a few of my own horror tastes in addition to those mentioned above:

Saw (only the first, btw)
Hostel (again, only the first)
Event Horizon (sci-fi horror)
In the Mouth of Madness (best HPL film IMO)
Frailty (a true thriller)
The Amityville Horror (again, the original)

JK

#72374 - 11/01/12 01:25 PM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: blackblooded]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
Many horror films slip over into the humorous/campy (some of the Vincent Price vehicles) or into the sympathetic/pathetic (Frankenstein, The Wolf Man). Many of the current ones are just gross, trying to out-slash or nauseate one another.

The movies which tingle my Tingler tend to be the ones which have a sort of amateurish, home-movie quality about them: the original Night of the Living Dead, Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things, Deathdream, etc.

I would go with Dagon as the best slick HPL film, and the amateur silent Call of Cthulhu as the most effective.

The two Hostel movies creeped me out not just because of the graphic cruelty, but because we live in an age when films occasionally inspire wackos to emulate them. Sometimes this is fun, as with Eyes Wide Shut inspiring this; sometimes not so nice, as with Taxi Driver. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Hostel does not plant copycat ideas.

Vampires: Most are campy, some genuinely romantic (Bram Stoker's Dracula), some really funny (Blood for Dracula). Christopher Lee always had a hard time climbing over the famously big-titted Hammer heroines to get to their necks. For genuine creepiness I'd go with the "Nosferatu genre" the original Max Schreck version, the Klaus Kinski version, and most recently the Williem Dafoe vehicle Shadow of the Vampire. WD should have gotten the Oscar for that one. The Kinski movie came close to being campy just because KK was so utterly repulsive (he is anyway, even without makeup) and no one in the film seemed to think anything of it. If you're Jonathan Harker and something like that opens the door to you, I would expect a bit more Dwight Frye.

When I was a kid in the 1950s, I stayed up all night with the lights on after seeing Them! That movie's other claim to fame is that Walt Disney saw an unknown actor playing a hick in it, and promptly cast him (Fess Parker) as Davy Crockett.

#72379 - 11/01/12 02:54 PM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Lightseeker Offline
stranger

I saw "Neigbhor" a few days ago. While this is mainly a "Hostel" type of movie that takes graphic cruelty and gore to a new level I would still recommend it.
The heroine is a young woman who smilingly and childishly tortures her victims to death. No motive for her deeds is ever given in the whole movie and a possible background story is only vaguely hinted at. All this gives the film a weird, surreal kind of touch which makes it interesting and in my opinion lifts it above "Hostel" qualitiy wise.
If you're going to watch it though I would recommend tracking down the "Unrated" version. The "Rated" one has the most intense and disturbing scene cut out in order to avoid an NC-17 classification.

Regarding Lovecraft films I agree with Dr. Aquino that "Dagon" is one of the few worth watching. I also liked "Re-Animator" (the first part) and "From Beyond". I think "The Unnamable" and "Necronomicon" were utter junk though.

#72386 - 11/02/12 12:39 AM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: Lightseeker]
Woland Moderator Offline
Seasoned

Loc: Oslo, Norway
My measure for a really good Horror, is that the film filled me with intense discomfort whilst watching it for the first time, and that has only happened on a very few occasions.

Repulsion (1965) by Mr. Roman Polanski.

The Shining (1980) by Mr. Stanley Kubrick

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) by Mr. Wes Craven.

Woland

Contra Mundum!

#72389 - 11/02/12 03:53 AM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: blackblooded]
Gattamelata Offline
stranger

Temnye vody (dark waters/dead waters) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109550/

A sort of lovecraftian inspired tale: "a young English woman named Elizabeth, who, after the death of her father, travels to a convent on a remote island where her mother died after giving birth to her. The convent is populated only by nuns, who practise strange rituals in the catacombs under the building and who seem to hold something at bay down there."

Another flick that merits mention is 'IMPRINT'; the thirteenth episode of the first season of the Masters of Horror series. Directed by Takashi Miike, it was never aired, due to concern over the film's graphic and disturbing nature. When I began wathcing this, I first so no reason why they refused to air it, it looked like a conventional and somewhat uninspiring horroresque film. But then it took a more sinister and bizarre turn.

#72422 - 11/02/12 05:26 PM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: Gattamelata]
blackblooded Offline
stranger

Loc: Louisiana
I love Masters of Horror. I think they should relaunch it.

As for the Exorcist, I did like it, but more as a comedy than a horror. The things the demons make Riley say get some good laughs(YOUR MOTHER SUCKS DICKS IN HELL).

#72438 - 11/03/12 10:12 AM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: Woland]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
 Originally Posted By: Woland
My measure for a really good Horror, is that the film filled me with intense discomfort whilst watching it for the first time, and that has only happened on a very few occasions.

Repulsion (1965) by Mr. Roman Polanski.

Have you seen The Tenant as well? I understand that Polanski thought of Repulsion, The Tenant & Rosemary's Baby as a trilogy dealing with the close and uncomfortable confines of apartment living (The Hidden Dimension again).

I'm not sure which film is best but I think I'd put Repulsion first and Rosemary's Baby last.

#72489 - 11/03/12 11:18 PM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: Fnord]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Fnord
I understand that Polanski thought of Repulsion, The Tenant & Rosemary's Baby as a trilogy dealing with the close and uncomfortable confines of apartment living.

I confess it never occurred to me that RB was a commentary on the annoyances of apartment living, but I guess a case could be made for that.

#72491 - 11/03/12 11:28 PM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: Fnord]
Pynkii Offline
stranger

Session 9... It was pretty good, I'll give it some props, but the David Caruso, I can't get over my deep seed hatred for him... his acting skills make me want to weep. Or rip my eyeballs out.

The original Texas Chainsaw is great, and the first of the new versions I enjoyed.

Versus: Japanese zombie flick, EPIC
Ju-On (the grudge): really weird and kind of tacky but awesome as well
Piranha: great for laughs, and watching college kids get ripped to shreads

Anyone seen The Shrine? Some americans go to Poland, so the movie is mostly in Polish without subtitles but it gives it a great feel... it's got a super creepy vibe and a good twist and some demons and gnarly shit as well.

#72497 - 11/04/12 01:14 AM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Well, Doc, I ain't making it up.

Repulsion is the first of Polanski's "apartment trilogy" (the other two being Rosemary's Baby (1968) and The Tenant (Le Locataire, 1976).

I've seen this referenced multitudes of times (here, again, for example) and Polanski himself discusses it in a few interviews I've seen. Google is your friend.

So take your smiley and shove it.

Edited by Fnord (11/04/12 01:20 AM)

#72499 - 11/04/12 01:46 AM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: Fnord]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Fnord
So take your smiley and shove it.

No offense to you was intended. I just think it funny that RB would be presented by Polanski as "a critique on the annoyances of apartment living". That's like saying that The Exorcist is a commentary on the difficulty of raising polite children, or Poltergeist on the necessity to have your home lot properly surveyed.

#72500 - 11/04/12 02:54 AM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

My listing of horror movies.

I don't really find movies like the Halloween series or the Friday the 13th movies particularly scary.

I did find a movie called Duel from the early 1970's to be scary. I found it to be very frightening, though I don't think that movie could be called horror.

That movie had a simple sort of point to it: a guy in a car is chased by a homicidal maniac in a "death truck."

I liked the Exorcist and I went through a six month period when I read the Exorcist like six times and watched the movie a few times as well.

A guy at school I knew spent most of his time in class doing lines from the Exorcist, instead of studying for some little thing called the Higher School Certificate or in other words "the big piece of paper." So the Exorcist was popular with others I knew as well.

I also found the old Stephen King movies like Carrie, Salems Lot and Christine to be quite good horror. The Shining with Jack Nicolson - damn good horror. Very frightening.

I go for Duel and The Shining as my top two.

#72717 - 11/08/12 02:56 PM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: ]
madvuduskya Offline
pledge

My favorite horror film of all time is the old black and white 50's version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
Pure cold war nuclear commie hysteria for a 13 year old boy to see for his first time home alone on one of those old midnight spook movie reels they used to run late weekend nights in the 70's.
Yeah like I could sleep after seeing that, I might wake up as a souless pinko commie.

#72719 - 11/08/12 04:31 PM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: madvuduskya]
Naama Offline

Loc: NewYork
"Hellraiser"
Perhaps, its not the most horrifying film you can think of. But I remember sneaking into a video-salon (we did not have such "westerns" on screens and in the movie theatres back then)and having a satisfaction when my dream (seeing a "real" horror movie) came true. Maybe I did not understand this movie 100% (details, elements, deeper meaning), but it was 1.5 hours of pure serotonin circulating through every cell of my body.

Edited by Naama (11/08/12 04:35 PM)

Page 1 of 7 12345>Last »

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.015 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.