Page 3 of 7 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#75781 - 04/06/13 03:44 PM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: Le Deluge]
Ken Barrett Offline
stranger

Loc: Devil's Hole, USA
Divided up some of my favorites by decade:

•Psycho (1960) The Curse of the Werewolf (1961) Night of the Living Dead (1968) Rosemary`s Baby (1968)

•Crowhaven Farm (1970) Werewolves on Wheels (1971) Horror Express (1972) Gargoyles (1972) Exorcist (1973) Satan’s School for Girls (1973) SSSSSSS (1973) Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973) Beyond the Door (1974) It’s Alive (1974) Killdozer! (1974) Shadow of the Hawk (1976) The Omen (1976) The Omen II (1978) The Devil’s Rain (1975) Race with the Devil (1975) Trilogy of Terror (only the Zuni Doll part, 1975) Mako: The Jaws Of Death (1976) The Premonition (1976) Curse of the Black Widow (1977) Snowbeast (1977) Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) Devil Dog (1978) Deathmoon (1978) Dr. Strange (1978) The Brood (1978) Salem’s Lot (1979) Amityville Horror (1979)

•The Shining (1980) Friday the 13th (1980) Motel Hell (1980) Ghost Story (1981) Psycho 2 (1982) The Entity (1983) Ghostbusters (1984)

A movie buff friend of mine (now deceased) said of the first showing of Psycho back in '60 (in whatever town he was in) that adults were fainting and throwing up and running out of the theater, a reaction he never saw in any other horror flick.

#75783 - 04/06/13 05:38 PM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: Ken Barrett]
Conchis Offline

Loc: us
 Originally Posted By: Ken Barrett
Killdozer! (1974)

WOW. Not many people have had the pleasure of enjoying this little gem. I mean who doesn't like alien possessed bulldozers rampaging around a rural worksite. Classic horror so ridiculously scary that it breaks your sense of fear and becomes hilarious.

If you enjoy horrible movies like this (as I do) then I highly recommend checking out Black Devil doll... From Hell (1984). If you can find a copy of this rare blaxploitation movie than definitely check it out, it might be one of the most fucked up movies I have ever seen. There are a couple of remakes of the original entitled Black Devil Doll, although I have not seen them, and can't attest to there level of horrible movie beauty.

#75789 - 04/06/13 10:12 PM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: blackblooded]
Cassandra Offline
pledge

Loc: Temple, Texas
My favorite horror movies include:

Along with The Shining, Pet Semetary, and so on.

I just went to see the remake of Evil Dead yesterday. Maybe some people would like that one but I did not. They relied too much (for my taste) on just graphic gore and would not let up. I know there is a thrill to that sort of thing but I prefer the more subtle creepiness.

Finding a good, quality horror film is hard for me. The modern ones especially rely too much on just sound effects and the like (in my opinion!).

#75858 - 04/09/13 05:30 PM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: Cassandra]
OutbreakUndead Offline
lurker

I'm a huge fan of horror and would say it's probably my most watched genre. I have an unquenchable thirst for it and enjoy watching credible works, as well as trashy tongue in cheek 'campathons'. Some of my favourites include.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (mainly 1 and 3)
Rob Zombie's Halloween
28 Weeks later
Seven (probably classed as a thriller)
Zombie Flesh Eaters
The August Underground Trilogy
House of 1000 Corpses
Devil's Rejects
Cannibal Holocaust
Funny Games
The first Saw movie
Dawn of the Dead
Hellraiser

The list is extensive so there are too many to mention. Also, my mind tends to go blank when list writing.

#75863 - 04/09/13 08:30 PM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: OutbreakUndead]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
 Originally Posted By: OutbreakUndead

Rob Zombie's Halloween

I have to ask because I'm usually in the minority...

Zombie's Halloween sequel? Thoughts?

I loved it personally and found it more powerful than the first one.

#75864 - 04/09/13 08:42 PM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: Fnord]
OutbreakUndead Offline
lurker

Originally Posted By: Fnord
Zombie's Halloween sequel? Thoughts?

I saw it so long ago, so I can't really remember it very well. I do remember being disappointed though. I'm going to re-watch it and see how I feel about it now. I could do with my memory being refreshed. I've also changed a lot since then, so it may resonate more with me.

Rob got quite a lot of grief about it if I remember correctly. He's flat out refused to do a third, which is a shame.

I'm looking forward to The Lords of Salem. It has a lot of potential to be his best.

#75865 - 04/09/13 08:47 PM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: OutbreakUndead]
Fnord Offline

Not a Zombie fan, per say. The dude has the potential to hit the nail on the head though when he's on point (House of 1000 corpses to be sure).

The Halloween sequel played out in Michael's head. I loved the imagery and symbolic use of color (lots of it). This one is philosophically much deeper than anything else Zombie has ever produced.

#75882 - 04/10/13 06:59 PM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: OutbreakUndead]
Le Deluge Offline

Originally Posted By: OutbreakUndead

I saw it so long ago, so I can't really remember it very well. I do remember being disappointed though. I'm going to re-watch it and see how I feel about it now. I could do with my memory being refreshed. I've also changed a lot since then, so it may resonate more with me.

Rob got quite a lot of grief about it if I remember correctly. He's flat out refused to do a third, which is a shame.

That was roughly my assessment of the film. I don't know if he was under constraints by the Production Company, but it didn't have the same "Zombiefied" feel to it.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to The Lords of Salem. It has a lot of potential to be his best.

Definitely. He's one of the better filmmakers around. 3 really solid films. Has the potential to make a lot more. Hollywood can be difficult to navigate. I just wrote off H2. Unleash the "Zombie" creativity, and the films should be golden.

#75884 - 04/10/13 09:19 PM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: Le Deluge]
Fnord Offline

Originally Posted By: Le Deluge

That was roughly my assessment of the film. I don't know if he was under constraints by the Production Company, but it didn't have the same "Zombiefied" feel to it.

Quite the opposite from what I understand. The Weinsteins evidently approached Zombie with an idea for the film and he turned it down. It was slated for another direction and the Weinsteins ultimately decided to give Zombie carte blanche.

This film is definitely all Zombie. His focus on the first was to make Michael Myers scary again. His focus on the second film was the effect on the characters of the first film.

Very interesting approach. Don't get me wrong... I enjoy 'official clown business' as much as the next guy. I just thought the Halloween sequel... poignant perhaps?... especially for a Zombie film.

Edited by Fnord (04/10/13 09:19 PM)

#75889 - 04/11/13 03:44 AM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: Fnord]
Le Deluge Offline

Was thinking of Halloween 2. He may have been tired of it after that sequel. You can only take the Myers character so far. I love dark satire, so he tends to win extra points with the clownery.

#76409 - 05/17/13 11:22 PM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: blackblooded]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
Hmmm the Best of the Best? Horror is a funny genre really, there's so much that is classified as Horror that I wouldn't. Most are high drama/thriller with an aesthetic. Take for instance the Walking Dead series, its less about the Zombies and more so about the dynamic of the characters and their struggle. It's more or less night time soaps. Don't get me wrong, I like the series well enough. I started on the Graphic Novels years ago as air plane reading material when I traveled. Some are even comedies.

Instead I'll offer some of my favorites (there's far too many to list!):
Psycho, 1960
The Exorcist, 1973
The Brood, 1979
The Shining, 1980
Return of the Living Dead, 1985
All the Dead Films by Romero (starting with Night of the Living Dead 1968)
Strange Invaders, 1983 (Sci-Fi, but I've seen it classed as Horror as well).
Evil Dead, 1981
Texas Chainsaw Massacre, 1974

Just a few off the top of my head. Rob Zombie's The Lords of Salem was fairly decent. I blogged that one recently:
The Lords of Salem

Check my archives for other films I've blogged such as Sinister, and the film Intruders was inspiring enough for me to finish the story of Hollow Face Hollow Face and create a video.

Edited by SIN3 (05/17/13 11:22 PM)

#76825 - 06/01/13 12:29 PM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: SIN3]
Ken Barrett Offline
stranger

In addition to my original list, worth mentioning:

La terrificante notte del demonio (The Terrible Night With The Female Demon aka The Devil's Nightmare) (1971) - great flick! After an ancestor's pact with the devil and selling his soul for the devil's services, additionally the eldest girl for each generation must be in service to Satan, a succubus to send men into perdition. The witchy woman poisions, buries, beheads, iron madiens (put into a coffer that's spiked on the inside), by shear will turns a tree branch to a snake to kill a lesbian. She certianly kills in delight, all based the seven deadly sins. Now a favorite of mine.

Blood Sabbath (1972) not so much a favorite of mine but love the naked witches ... a vietnam vet runs into a coven ... and makes a deal with the queen witch to find love with a beautiful water nymph. Fav scene: Nude beautiful witches dance wildly after drawing a circle on the ground to invoke the dark arts.

Land of the Minotar (1976) - Peter Cushing & gang worships a minotar satan like golden statue with awesome fire coming out of the nostrils. The voice of the Minotar rings out: 'those who enter the forbiden chamber, MUST DIE!' as a the young beautiful thirteen-ish virgin girl grabs the dagger to thrust into chests of young men and women.

awesome fearsome 70s at its best ...

#76826 - 06/01/13 12:33 PM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: Ken Barrett]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Quote:
La terrificante notte del demonio

The Devil's Nightmare, 1971

I haven't seen the first on the list, but I've seen the other two. I'll have to check it out.

Edited by SIN3 (06/01/13 12:37 PM)
Edit Reason: linked

#76847 - 06/03/13 11:31 AM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: SIN3]
Ken Barrett Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: SIN3
I haven't seen the first on the list, but I've seen the other two. I'll have to check it out.

It's the best of the three. One of my favorites is Beyond the Door, probally too old for you to enjoy but I remember how demonic late TV was in the 70s ...

#76848 - 06/03/13 05:24 PM Re: Best Horror Films [Re: Ken Barrett]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

I was just a tot in the 70's but I do remember the early 80's. It seemed like late night TV was so much better back then. Had it not been for Elvira'S Movie Macabre, I probably wouldn't have known about a good sized volume of that genre.

Page 3 of 7 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  TV is God, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Woland, fakepropht, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.064 seconds of which 0.046 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.