Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#736 - 10/01/07 02:55 AM Sensory Deprivation
Octavius Offline

Loc: just visiting
I find one of the most powerful forms of magic, meditation, revelation, etc is revealed within the practice of sensory deprivation. I have made it a ritual for the beginning and end of each week as of late...such wonderous revelations.

Antone else practice SD?

Octavius

#783 - 10/02/07 01:00 AM Re: Sensory Deprivation [Re: Octavius]
Gravity Offline
stranger

Loc: U S A
For almost two years I was a creature of the night. I woke up around 7pm and usually went to sleep anywhere from 8am to 10am. My eyes had adjusted to the cool tones of the sunless sky and during this time I never once witnessed high noon.

About six months ago I was forced to flip my schedule and returned to living through the daytime hours. For almost a week I was snowblind under the hot sun. I had to wear sunglasses everywhere. My eyes were constantly being strained and forced to work beyond their usual comfort zone.

I noticed that during my nocturnal experience I was better able to see in the dark. Unlike now, I must use a light to navigate through my home at midnight. Depriving my senses of the usual intake of sunlight forced me to take a different perspective on a great many things.

#805 - 10/02/07 04:05 PM Re: Sensory Deprivation [Re: Gravity]
birdstrike Offline
pledge

Loc: Canada
Octavius you answered a question I have been meaning to ask for quite some time. I have been dying to try it because I find so much ritual time is disturbed by conscious senses. My question would be first off where to go to find SD tanks. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone using them outside the medical profession. I can only imagine the benefits of sensory deprivation.

#870 - 10/04/07 01:32 AM Re: Sensory Deprivation [Re: birdstrike]
Octavius Offline

I will preface this by saying that SD can be very dangerous. If you attampt the SD exercises I describe below, it's essential to have another person in the house to check on you periodically. I NEVER practice SD wihout my wife close at hand and aware of my practice.

An SD tank is not actually necessary, although I have used one. My home bathtub does quite well. Do whatever is necessary to completely eliminate all light from the room, and if you want to go "all out," buy some sound-proofing foam from your local Guitar Center or Sam Ashe store and cover your bathroom with it.

I fill my bath with water just slightly above body temperature and use a snorkel I've altered with some plastic tubing to avoid drowning. I use earplugs designed for swimmers, soft noseplugs, and a cloth sleepmask held tightly with a velcro binding. I use a gel-filled eye-mask usually used for deflating puffy eyes under the sleep mask for comfort...you can find them in most beauty supply stores...I actually like to chill mine in order to help the desensitization as the temperature slowly rises to body temp specifically around my eyes.

Nudity is absolutely necessary. Any kind of clothing will impede the sesations you can derrive. If you've done everything possible to negate all sesory input save the sound of your own breathing in your skull, you're ready to begin. Imerse yourself in the bath and disconnect not only with your anxieties, but from all random thought. The goal is a state beyond sleep...complete bodily paralysys accompanied by an eventual explosive consciousness. I find the best experiences are those where you simply let the multiverse accept your being and take you for a ride. I've had incredible experiences that range from terrifying to incredibly sexual.

A precaution...limit your first sessions to 15 minutes or less. Focus on merely achieving a state of complete sensory deprivation rather than any additional experience. Gradually extend your session as you become more comfortable with the practice. As the length of your sessions grow, only you can decide what your SD sessions will result in....simple self-centering, pan-dimensional exploration, meditation, fantasy, magical workings...the possibilities are endless.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe!

Octavius

#876 - 10/04/07 07:27 AM Re: Sensory Deprivation [Re: Octavius]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Do you get chilled after a while from the steadily lowering temperature of the water?

#920 - 10/05/07 12:41 PM Re: Sensory Deprivation [Re: Nemesis]
Cody Offline
pledge

Ah, you don't have to go through all that while "experts" drag your carcass out of the watery tomb, because in the end all that remains is your ideas of yourself within the parametres set forth to you by others. For a realistic observation of yourself I would suggest (as I have elsewhere) to become voluntarily homeless for however long it takes, it's a good foundation IMO and it is just one of many rituals you might undertake and at each gate you are asked "Do you accept this doom?" you either accept or decline. In short, S.D. is nothing but life "lite" with an out, it is a safe way to discover nothing, but it's popular among some crowds.

Edited by Cody (10/05/07 12:44 PM)

#924 - 10/06/07 01:36 AM Re: Sensory Deprivation [Re: Cody]
Octavius Offline

But it's fun! Don't you like to have fun, Mr. Cody? Or are you too busy pretending to understand the homeless, feeling the true burden of the minority, or otherwise convincing yourself of the truth within various "voluntary" realities?

Go play in the sushine for 30 minutes a day. Eat your broccoli. Pet a puppy. You'll feel better, I promise.

#969 - 10/08/07 02:12 PM Re: Sensory Deprivation [Re: Octavius]
Cody Offline
pledge

I meant exactly what I said, I like sunshine, broccoli is good with cheese and I like to eat puppies.

"Debasing" yourself is always the biggest struggle.

Edited by Cody (10/08/07 02:15 PM)

#989 - 10/08/07 11:56 PM Re: Sensory Deprivation [Re: Cody]
Gravity Offline
stranger

Loc: U S A
How about sensory overload? Any thoughts on this?

#993 - 10/09/07 02:22 AM Re: Sensory Deprivation [Re: Gravity]
97and107 Offline

Loc: New Mexico
Of course, it is the basis of Tantra - we are saved by that which damns us.

The Aghori tribes are especially good at this, drinking is a religion to them.

It is said of Siva Bhairav, the fierce aspect of Siva, that even his vomiting pleases the gods. He is a drunkard, and a scoundrel, by all accounts, and engages in sex with women who are so driven mad by his presence they leave their household to follow him. ;\)

Yet he is among the holiest of intelligences accessible to the human mind, according to the Indian occult lore.

#1929 - 11/15/07 07:03 PM Re: Sensory Deprivation [Re: 97and107]
jesusbeater Offline
pledge

Loc: Ireland
yeah, here in Ireland we kinda have the same philosophy, however it usually leads to the accident and emergency wards busting at capacity on a Friday and Saturday nights( our traditional days of worship to the night father Guinness).
Am studying psychology at the moment and have recently been discussing sensory deprivation in relation to the history of psychology as a science.
Apparently the guy that invented it originally had a more drastic tank made where one was completely submerged in a diving suit.It had severe side effects and the c.i.a. tried to acquire it from him and get him to work for them( I think it might have been skinner or Thorndike but was definitely a behaviourist).
So Octavius has warned any one attempt it do so supervised and well prepared, be true to yourself and know your own limits.
I experimented a lot with LSD years ago.I found that it did help expand my mind and make me more open to abstract thinking and I gained a lot of confidence from it.However I feel it was only beneficial to me because I stopped when I did.If I had continued to push my self I would have inevitably become a vegetable.
So anyway, all I'm really saying is that different things work for different people, I've tried it before and never really benefited from it too much but I am aware that it can be great for certain people.

#1960 - 11/16/07 11:24 PM Re: Sensory Deprivation [Re: jesusbeater]
Meq Offline
Banned

Just don't consider combining LSD with a sensory deprivation tank (unless you are VERY experienced at both, and then use extreme caution).

This can lead the mind into very dangerous psychological territory.

#35835 - 02/19/10 07:23 PM Re: Sensory Deprivation [Re: Meq]
contragenic Offline
stranger

Loc: Phoenix,Az
Sensory deprivation, sleep deprivation, exercises in bondage, humiliation. This is an endless list for me, one that is very dear to me also. Anything I have done or will do that forces me to give up control, that truly places my mind in an altered state, has been extremely valuable. When it comes to mixing drugs with experiences like these, well that is a no no. The reason it is a no no is because the goal is to alter the perception of the true self,and when under the influence we are not our true selves. If a person goes into a dungeon scene with the intention of transforming oneself,it would be a serious waste of time for all involved if drugs were involved.
Personally my favorite sensory deprivation technique is to be completely bound to a table, catheterized, blindfolded and in the dark, no music no sound whatsoever. When the panic disappears a profound peace takes it's place and I start floating up and over everything.Ending a session like this is always a bit sad, like coming down off a good LSD trip. Why do I choose to do these things? My first SD experience was recommended to me, as a possible remedy for my bi polar mania and my tendency to be a complete control freak. Honestly, it has worked, I do not take any psych meds any more and I no longer feel the need to control situations or people. However, when called on to be in control I am able to perform without any ego attached to the situation, I remain detached, more of a guide than anything else.
Sharing these experiences is a joy, and since I have been completely sober through them all I have complete recall of my feelings.
The act of suspension though, that is a whole other sensation albeit similar to SD. I will go into that in some future post.
I truly am Not a lurker, but I suppose labels make people feel safe.Sad really.

Life is too short for fantasies!

#56370 - 06/30/11 02:42 PM Re: Sensory Deprivation [Re: Octavius]
Dedalus Offline
pledge

Loc: Ireland
Anyone heard of the Ganzfeld experiment?

Late as this repsonse is, those who practice in sensory deprivation may find this interesting. The Ganzfeld method of sensory deprivation has the advantages of being cheap and effective, and does not require a flotation chamber, or even a bath tub.

To deprive the senses, users simply need a radio, headphones, and a ping pong ball, silly as it seems. The ping pong ball is halved, and both halves are taped in place over the eyes in a dimy lit room, leaving nothing in the field of vision but a soft white glow. The radio is set to an un-used frequency producing white noise.

Thirty minutes or so into this procedure, the participant/user generally begins to hallucinate. Information on and accounts of the experience can be found online . Here is the wikipedia page also; Ganzfeld Experiment.

I used to do this from time to time last year, when I had more free time and privacy at night, and having experienced it, I highly recommend it. My hallucinations were less specific than accounts of the experience I have read elsewhere, and generally manifested as a deluge of seemingly unrelated images an experiences, much like a waking dream. It is, generally speaking, and with few exceptions in my experience, very relaxing, and as Octavius said above (years ago...), it's fun.

Enjoy.

#72494 - 11/04/12 12:40 AM Re: Sensory Deprivation [Re: Dedalus]
Pynkii Offline
stranger

I have never personally tried any form of sensory deprivation before... but have any of you read the book "Inside the Black Room"? It documents experiments done at Princeton where participants were subjected to periods of up to 4 days in light and sound proof rooms... That sounds intense (more on this here, thanks to the Compleat Witch Bib Blog)

My evening is rather uneventful... So I'm contemplating purchasing some ping pong balls, for I do love a good trip, and I'll make sure to let you all know how my Ganzfeld experience goes. I would also like to test out the bathroom method sometime in the near future. I like your ritualization of the process (to the OP), it seems to me that doing so would be more beneficial than just "trying it out"

Edited by Pynkii (11/04/12 12:41 AM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.