Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7364 - 04/07/08 03:25 AM Shadow self
Six String God Offline
stranger

Loc: Michigan
link

I did a search for this, and i did not find anything discussing this topic directly.
(but if there is a topic of it, please do point out)

Anyways The thing i want to talk about is what this shadow is and how it is a part of peoples lives.

My thought are that if you can control and understand this part of yourself, you are self actualized, or very near.

I also understand that it can be a very destructive force and should not be taken lightly.

If you want to ask questions or need clarification, please ask, I have studied this subject.

Your thoughts.

How do you understand this and use it to exceed in life, instead of it being ones downfall?

Edited by Six String God (04/07/08 03:39 AM)

#7366 - 04/07/08 03:38 AM Re: Shadow self [Re: Six String God]
Xutech Offline
stranger

Loc: Australia
You seem to be suggesting that you are self actualised, or near to it.

That is something I don't agree with. I think that anyone who might be at one with their shadow would not necessarily be any more enlightened than anyone else.

Plenty of people have claimed to have had religious or supernatural experiences, and yet have never come to understand that experience for the rest of their lives.

I wonder what agenda you have in framing your post in the way that you have.

#7368 - 04/07/08 03:47 AM Re: Shadow self [Re: Xutech]
Six String God Offline
stranger

Loc: Michigan
not at all did i suggest that, plus the post was not complete.

i just edited the topic and then i saw your post.

sorry for my words, i am just trying to understand myself.

i consider myself as a frantic person really. nor do i believe that i've had supernatural experiences, and when i did, i was a confused
teen and I'll admit to it.

I refuse to be manipulated like that again.

I've learned something thought, self actualization and enlightenment are terms that cant be thrown around.

Edited by Six String God (04/07/08 04:15 AM)

#7394 - 04/07/08 05:02 PM Re: Shadow self [Re: Six String God]
Succubus666 Offline

The concept of a “shadow self” actually seems like a more specific way of explaining something that is a part of human nature and that any rational person would experience. We make billions of choices every day without even realizing it, and that’s just on a small scale. When we come to facing larger, more significant decisions we will inevitably encounter a duality within ourselves - the proverbial devil on one shoulder and angel on the other if you will. The “shadow self” would be representative of negative self-talk, and the “enlightened self” would be representative of a way to face things with a more calculatedly positive outcome. One is clearly more representative of our internalized fears and the decision to act on an impulse to satisfy them, and the other presents a means to elude those fears and act in a manner that allows us to conquer them and thus take another step toward enlightenment.

Part of what differentiates humans from animals is our ability to override pure instinct with the need to understand and act on things in a more logical, rationalized manner. The intellectualized concepts in the human world are much more complex than the basic instinctual concepts in the animal world. As a result every culture that has ever walked the earth has developed symbols and metaphors to help explain the depth and complexity of the human mind. The “shadow self” is merely another metaphor for the intellectual concepts and perceptions that makes up a part of who we are and offers its side of any given debate within our internal dialogues and decision making processes.

#7415 - 04/08/08 03:06 AM Re: Shadow self [Re: Succubus666]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
I always thought the 'shadow self' were the traits in our personality that we tended to deny due to not liking or finding them attractive.

But it's denial of these traits that makes them come out stronger and in more self destructive ways?

It is a subject which I find very interesting also. Wasn't it a Jung thing? Guess I'm going to have to go and look into it a bit more now. :-)

Zeph

#7426 - 04/08/08 04:40 PM Re: Shadow self [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Succubus666 Offline

People that act more out of fear or cowardice - the aspect of themselves that could possibly be defined as the “shadow self” - tend to be the ones who are at the bottom of the food chain as far as human conditioning goes. And since that is a place in which most people simply would not want to be, it goes to reason that these traits are also the things people most deny in themselves or try to avoid.

Unfortunately in some cases where rage is suppressed to an unhealthy degree, when people who may be perceived as being at the bottom of the food chain finally can’t deal with their internalized feelings, they can snap in a way that brings on mass destruction of both themselves and others. This is where things like school shootings and other short-lived massacres come into play. If there is not a healthy balance between the duality in our nature, one side or the other can rear its head in a very ugly way.

#8273 - 04/29/08 04:43 PM Re: Shadow self [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Engel08 Offline
stranger

Loc: California
I believe it actually originates from wicca. Or whatever they call themselves these days.
At least that is where I first heard the actual phrase.

My belief is or my understanding of the shadow self from this source was a more lustful and primal and dark and clever part of yourself.

But I also understand that it wasn't something to be banished or locked down but to be observed and understood and considered part of yourself, always.

#8299 - 04/30/08 06:26 PM Re: Shadow self [Re: Engel08]
Meq Offline
Banned

The concept of the Shadow was developed by Carl Jung and later adopted by various new age/neopagan groups.

It is much older though, having parallels with many traditions including Buddhist philosophy, Stoicism, Neoplatonism, Gnosticism etc.

Here's a quote from the Gospel of Thomas (nearly 2000 years old) which clearly anticipates the concept of the Shadow:

"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you.
If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will kill you."

#8335 - 05/01/08 09:41 PM Re: Shadow self [Re: Six String God]
rubaestellae Offline
stranger

Loc: Australia
Thats odd, the wiki on shadow self is not what I think of when I refer to shadow self. The shadow self as repressed weaknesses AND instinct? Seems like those two things should be mutually exclusive.

Repressed weakness is something for me at least thats brought about by existing as part of a 'society'. Absorbing of the various pressures and suggestions forced upon you from an external source.

However instinct I see as being completely internal. I believe we are born with various instincts hardwired into us. Some behaviors and actions can be taught or assumed after birth of course but I don't believe them to be considered instincts just learned behaviors.

So basically repressed weakness = external/post birth, instinct = internal/hardwired at conception. I don't see how they could be in the same category let alone considered shadow.

For me when I think of the shadow self, I think of the real self that frequently gets moved aside in order for us to all cooperate and live harmoniously in society. I certainly don't think it is comprised of repressed weaknesses. Instinct sure, but instinct isn't just all the shadow self is - instinct is reaction without a reflection process. And since we have the capacity to think and reflect we must therefore be more than just a bag of instincts.

It is a very interesting topic, something I spend a lot of time thinking about.

#8347 - 05/02/08 06:43 PM Re: Shadow self [Re: rubaestellae]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Wiki is not hte end all reference on anything.
Hell, you can edit it and make it say anything...

"For me when I think of the shadow self, I think of the real self that frequently gets moved aside in order for us to all cooperate and live harmoniously in society."

I think this is kinda what Carl Jung was talking about in regards to the shadow/animus self. I always thought that his psychological writings/stuff was cool. He wrote this great book that i really liked, when I get home I will post the name of it.

Morgan

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 23 queries. Zlib compression disabled.