Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#7511 - 04/11/08 05:54 PM Stereotyping Yourself
Stag Offline
pledge

This won't be news to most of you, but I found it interesting none the less.

How Stereotyping Yourself Contributes to Your Success (or Failure)

Faults in performance do not necessarily signify a dearth of skills or abilities, social scientists have found. Instead the failures may arise from awareness of stereotypes that others hold about the groups to which we belong.

Social identity research examines not only how we both take on (internalize) and live out (externalize) identities that are shared with our peers but also how these things can change.

This research can help us identify ways of responding to othersí stereotypes so that human talent and potential are not squandered. Although stereotypes can promote failure, they can also lift a personís or groupís performance and be tools that promote social progress.

and the rest...

Stag

#7555 - 04/12/08 05:02 PM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: Stag]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Loc: CA
"If it's a man's world, I'm glad I'm a woman." Marylin Monroe.

Becoming your stereotype may be very beneficial for some, but have negative consequences for others. Take me for instance: do you know how far in life I can go... or at least what a comfortable life I can have being a dumb blond with big tits?

I don't know many stereotype to make any further examples. I know racial stereotypes; but i refrain for using them. Don't want to offend any one like that.

Kayla

~~352~~

#7591 - 04/13/08 02:56 AM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
Stag Offline
pledge

Looks lke the link above wasn't working try here

The occult implications of this are that if we can bring the "stereotyping" under conscious control we can channel the course of our lives into a more productive direction. This is pretty widely known in occult circles, but it's interesting to see it getting some attention in the scientific press.

For example:

Quote:
The participants in this research were Asian women. In different conditions of the studies they were required to focus on the fact either that they were women (who are stereotypically worse at math than men) or that they were Asian (stereotypically better at math than members of other ethnic groups). As in Beilock and her colleaguesí work, in the former case the women performed worse than they did when no group membership was made salient. Yet in the latter case they did better.

Stag

#7863 - 04/17/08 06:31 AM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: Stag]
StaniSlav Offline
stranger

Loc: AmsterdAm
If I had to stereotype myself it would look something like this:

Red Hair: I'm a geek, yet have a sexual thrive and libido that can't be stopped.

My Scotish heritage: I'm fairly simple minded and drink all day long.

My Jewish heritage: I'm greedy as hell and control all banks in the world. (Not to mention Hollywood). Oh, and we lied about the hollocaust. You see, we're attention whores.

To be honest, I am some of those things. But that has more to do with my individual personality, then with the color of my hair, or where my parents are from.

#9279 - 05/31/08 02:35 PM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: StaniSlav]
Ringmaster Offline

Loc: Salem Oregon
wow never really sat down to think about sterotyping myself, even though i agree about that it can both help and hinder you. If i had to say a certain sterotype it would be rebel, simply for the fact i think for myself question authority and shit like that but when it really comes down to it i am just my own person. people tell me that they have never met anyone quite like me.

#9338 - 06/02/08 10:26 PM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: Ringmaster]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
Personally, I like to move through alot of different stereotypes depending on what it is I'm trying to acheive.

For instance, I can play the dumb blonde with big tits mentioned above, if I want to exploit a man, or make a women underestimate me. SOmetimes you're better of being underestimated.

I can play the nerd stereotype for job interviews etc (I work in IT).

I can play the biker stereotype if I need to intimidate someone.

I can play the injured sick stereotype if I need to raise money. I don't like to use this one though, unless it's genuine. I'm not into defrauding people by using their sympathy, although I'm sure there are plenty who would.

That's just a couple that come to mind. I find it easy to move in and out of stereotypes, because I find it easy to dress and assesorise to match which ever one that I need at that time.

That's the thing with stereotypes, they can very much work to your advantage in the right circumstances.

You need to be aware of the stereotypes you are portraying however. You don't want to portray the biker type at a job interview etc.

If you can look at yourself and honestly gage what others see, you will have alot more success at manipulating that to your benefit.

Zeph

#10104 - 07/06/08 08:43 AM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: ZephyrGirl]
SevenDeadlySins Offline
stranger

Loc: chicago illinois
i think to everyone we ALL put on degrees of perception or masks depending on the situation.

the only people whom get the full picture of whom we are as people is ourselves .

use the masks to get what we want i say . stereotyping me i think is a small dark gift . it causes many to either underestimate me or on the flipside have a exagerated view of me .

i enjoy playing to both.

#10133 - 07/08/08 05:53 AM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: SevenDeadlySins]
MaggotFaceMoe Offline

Loc: Finland
 Originally Posted By: SevenDeadlySins

the only people whom get the full picture of whom we are as people is ourselves .

Which is not actually true. Our perception of our selves is most often very flawed. It is taught in basic psychology. We might know what lies in our hearts, but we don't still see our selves in the true light. Very often have I had someone close to me point out things about me that I couldn't see but after thinking it through I understood was true. My view is always very biased and sometimes it's good to get feed back from an outsider's viewpoint to come to better understanding of what I am, or even what I could be.

#10138 - 07/08/08 09:33 PM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: MaggotFaceMoe]
SevenDeadlySins Offline
stranger

Loc: chicago illinois
Yes, but i would make the point that only YOU know what you are capable of. While we all may have a biased perception of ourselves, I believe that on the flipside you and only you KNOW your total thoughts. That in itself makes me think otherwise.

#11225 - 09/05/08 09:18 AM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: SevenDeadlySins]
Cody Offline
pledge

I currently reside in a small dusky towne called Los Alamos, NM by choice, there are plenty of stereotypes out there without my help. I have a strange facsination with Artificial Intelligence because it only started with human minds, human interaction seems much different, many surprises.
#11227 - 09/05/08 01:49 PM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: Cody]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

We do not need to stereotype ourselves.
Others will do it for us.

#11243 - 09/06/08 07:53 AM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: Dimitri]
MaggotFaceMoe Offline

Loc: Finland
What a foolish way to reply. The intention behind starting this thread wasn't, I believe, meant to be so serious.
And besides, I think it helps self development when actually spending time to look at your self from an outside perspective and trying to stereotype your self. Might even find something you don't want to see, which is why it is quite wise to do at times. To break the illusion of perfection...

#11245 - 09/06/08 12:29 PM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: MaggotFaceMoe]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

I don't think it is foolish. It is just a fact.
You can stereotype yourself but others will always put you in another stereotyping box.
You can always spent time on self development by taking a look at yourself from an outside perspective without trying to stereotyping yourself. If you are smart you'll notice you'll belong in different "boxes". I don't know about you but I'm a complicated person. I just can't be stereotyped towards one thing. I'm to rich in personalities. Trying to put someone in 1 box makes someone weak and the last thing I am is a weak simple minded person.

#11260 - 09/07/08 02:48 PM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: Dimitri]
Ringmaster Offline

Loc: Salem Oregon
Yes it may seem foolish, but if it weren't for the way others view you would you still be the same way that you are now? because though many people say they don't give a damn about what others think about them there is always a thought or to that crosses that individuals mind about what the other person said about them.

"I just can't be stereotyped towards one thing. I'm to rich in personalities"

True, very true, nobody can be put into a single sterotype.

Anyone can sterotype themselves, BUT I doubt that any one person can COMPLETELY see what they need to improve on or what makes them the person that they are. Because there is always something that someone else sees about them that a certain individual doesn't.

Also I ask you, does the whole idea of "fuck what others think about me" (I know you didn't say this it is just an example)apply to your friends and family. When it comes to the way my friends and family think about the type of person that I am it is very important to me because of the fact that my family is one of the things that mean the most to me in this world. Also when it comes to friends they have earned enough respect to be able to help me build who I am. I am in no way saying that base the type of person you are completely off of friends and family because to do so would be foolish all in all you do have the ultimate decision of who you are.

~RINGMASTER~

#11261 - 09/07/08 03:42 PM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: Ringmaster]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Quote:
Because there is always something that someone else sees about them that a certain individual doesn't.

I still don't see a reason for stereotyping myself with this. If you know yourself you'll automatically notice when one of your abilities needs improvement. In my case if I don't notice that an ability of mine needs improvement someone will just tell me or let me notice. There is no stereotyping in that part.

Quote:
Also I ask you, does the whole idea of "fuck what others think about me" (I know you didn't say this it is just an example)apply to your friends and family.
Keeping in mind I always act differently in behaviour near family or friends I can wholeheartly say: yes, it is applied. My caracter in general is almost always the same only with friends or family it will change on such a base that i'll make more jokes or am more serious. This is no stereotype only small change in behaviour.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.