Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#11290 - 09/08/08 12:33 PM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: Dimitri]
Cody Offline
pledge

I still have an old Panasonoic that has a turntable AND an eight track deck- so HA!!! that was my generation but just for laughs I really grew up on an old crank type turntable. You know the type that you had to wind up to play and open or close the wooden doors to adjust the volume, of course you don't, that is the mark of the curse but in the end one had a shovel and the other had a hoe.
#11297 - 09/08/08 04:27 PM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: Cody]
Mercury_Templar Offline
93 93/93

Loc: Cabarita, Vic, Australia
Stop trying to be random - it's pissing me off. Your last four posts have been worthless. Cut it out or see what happens.

M.'.T.'.
VE-GEDULAH
LE-OLAM
AMEN

#12547 - 10/12/08 01:04 AM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: SevenDeadlySins]
BloodHorn Offline

Loc: Stockbridge Ga
I am not sure of what say about some of this, But i do have to say one thing to sevendeadly sins.
You said, 'Yes, but i would make the point that only YOU know what you are capable of'. Sometimes you do not really know what you are capable of until the situation comes upon you. Plenty of times i did not think i was able to do something. But some how i pushed myself to be able to do what i thought wasn't possible. And I'm sure everyone here has done the same. Sometimes doubt is just a part of natural instinct. But the determination takes over, And you end up doing.
Don't take it the wrong way Seven, That is just how i thought of what you said. But you are correct to a certain degree.

#24367 - 05/10/09 03:05 AM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: ZephyrGirl]
GarrettProAudio Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: ZephyrGirl
Personally, I like to move through alot of different stereotypes depending on what it is I'm trying to acheive.

I totally agree with this statement. I believe its almost a necessity, at this point, to be able to do that just to get through life. Lets face it...you most likely will not get along with or befriend everyone you meet in life but for the few that smite you, isn't there great satisfaction on knowing how to "play ball in there court" to manipulate them to your advantage? But on the contrary, does it not make you feel like a phony at some point? Is there not enough fake people in the world already? What are you thoughts or morals on it?
-Cheers-

#24444 - 05/11/09 11:38 AM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: GarrettProAudio]
Saligia Offline
stranger

Loc: Manchester, England
I think the difference between somebody who is false and somebody who is capable of being false is that the latter is aware of their "true" personality and simply adopts an alternate persona in order to achieve their goals. On the flip side of this, somebody who is inherently false (wannabe "gangsters" instantly spring to mind. Definitely one of my pet peeves) attempts to create a fixed personality for themselves that just isn't natural to them.

I'm not sure morality is even an issue here as adopting various images for various events is not harmful to anybody (not in any way that I can think of anyway) and therefore should be adopted whenever it suits the individual.

#26792 - 07/04/09 11:56 AM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: Saligia]
Satans Scrotum Offline
stranger

I've always admired people who could change themselves in different situations, I think for most people, it's easy. My girlfriend is a different person around certain people, like a master of disguise. My step-dad has this same ability, I remember him always being different when his friends was around. He would be a total dick when it was just mom and I, but soon as one of his buddies came over, he was a gentlemen. I personally suck at this, I'm the same with everyone, and even when it's in my best interest to not be myself, I still can't change. And having the ability to change, can really benefit, as others described in this thread. I think it's a good ability to have, and for those who have it, should use it, to it's full advantage.

As stereotyping goes, I believe this happens to me often, I'll give an example. When I'm out on the town, people will often ask me for drugs, if I have them, or know where to get them. And I don't use illegal drugs, social drinker and cigarette smoker, that's it. So why would they ask me unless they assumed me to be a drug dealer or user, stereotyping.

I don't let it hinder me, but I would like to get better at deception and lying. I believe I could benefit from it, I been told I was to honest. And I don't see how honesty does anyone any good.

#26793 - 07/04/09 02:39 PM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: Satans Scrotum]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Originally Posted By: Satans Scrotum
As stereotyping goes, I believe this happens to me often, I'll give an example. When I'm out on the town, people will often ask me for drugs, if I have them, or know where to get them. And I don't use illegal drugs, social drinker and cigarette smoker, that's it. So why would they ask me unless they assumed me to be a drug dealer or user, stereotyping.

At times the answers to our questions are so obvious and right in front of us that we just cannot see them. Perhaps they are too simple or maybe we just do not want to believe things or accept responsibility at times. Reality doesnít change just because you say you fell asleep during a tattoo, or because you want it to.

In another thread I mentioned your tattoos and your avatar and the common perceptions of both.

Perspective is key, understanding your own perspective is only the start. One should not only look at themselves through their own eyes but also try to look at yourself as others see you. To not understand why people stereotype you and perceive you as a drug dealer/user is your own weakness not others. You must realize you have stereotyped yourself with your choice of markings and placement. Simply, you look the part of a ghetto thug thatís done time.

Sorry if this upsets you but that is a fact.

Originally Posted By: Satans Scrotum
I don't let it hinder me, but I would like to get better at deception and lying. I believe I could benefit from it, I been told I was to honest. And I don't see how honesty does anyone any good.

I live by honesty this doesnít mean I have not learned at times to shut the fuck up and take fifteen dollars change on a sixteen dollar order I paid for with a twenty. I myself despise liars and fakes with a passion, though I often use deception in my day-to-day life. Honesty builds trust with those who can handle it, though many fear or misunderstand it as well.

This forum can be used as a small example of real world perceptions, you can learn a lot here. Here you are only known by your words, your profile and how you present yourself (avatar, writing style, spelling, etc.). In the real world you have chosen to mark yourself in a very distinguishable, noticeable way. In this you have limited yourself in what situations you can easily blend into. Makeup could serve as a tool in covering your tattoos when needed, so all is not lost.

You are your own man how you choose to be perceived is only your choice and in reality matters little to me.

Simple honesty.

~T~

#26803 - 07/04/09 09:52 PM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: ta2zz]
Satans Scrotum Offline
stranger

Thanks for your honesty, I do accept and understand how some people perceive me. As the tattoo thing goes, I have future plans for fresh ink, things less menacing. I outgrew my fascination with serial killers, so I think the new ink will drastically improve my image. I also like honesty and trust, and those who are absolute, those who like me do so because I'm always the same. And those who don't, usually do so because of the same reason. And like I said, being yourself, does have limitations if you're not flexible. Lot's of things I could never do, that others can, but I accept it.

I've never really tried to stereotype myself or knew exactly how others did, but I always knew it was some kind of degenerate. And I can definitely see how that could effect someones self-esteem. I never fully understood how important peoples opinions of oneself was til I got older.

#27225 - 07/18/09 04:53 PM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: Stag]
Morbid Rex Offline

stereotypes, labels, in the end they're all empty and meaningless definitions proposed by many nauseating unthinking sheep. A by-product of our consumerist yuppie culture that says you have to be this way or that way.

In the words of Terrence McKenna "Culture is not your friend."

Edited by Morbid Rex (07/18/09 04:54 PM)

Satanism! The only scientifically proven religion.

#27227 - 07/18/09 07:09 PM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: Morbid Rex]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Stereotypes are not empty and meaningless. Most stereotypes are based on truth. Alot of people have trouble excepting that fact, that does not, however, make them inaccurate. It is because most stereotypes are based on truth that they become stereotypes. If they weren't good at encompassing a large group then they wouldn't be thought of as stereotypes.

Labels can be empty and meaningless, but they still affect you. It is for that reason that one must be careful of the labels they place upon themselves and be mindful of the labels given to them by other people. The right label can help or hurt you under different circumstances.

#27228 - 07/18/09 11:14 PM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
I totally agree with both you and Tat.

Stereotyping is bred into us. We teach our children to look out for the creepy old perv in the van. When we are walking down the street, we automatically steer clear of the panhandlers and the drug dealers. When we are lost in a new city, there is a reason why we only ask directions from people who look a certain way. Stereotyping other people can keep us safe and can assist us in making good decisions in life. Realizing what stereotypes we have been given by others can help us learn how to alter parts of our appearance or personality that are working against us or cultivate those parts that are helping us excel.

It is folly to ignore these things. Regardless of the capitalist culture blah blah blah mentioned above, you simply cannot go through life not caring how you are viewed by others (unless of course, you are independently wealthy).

I am aware of how I am seen by others, both the good and the bad. I know which of these things assist me in getting what I want and need in life and I know which ones are working against me and if it weren't for the lovely assholes in life who are willing to point out their perceptions of me, I would not be able to improve myself, my appearance, my station in life, etc.

Sometimes a person simply cannot see the forest for the trees. There have been many times in my life where I thought I was coming across one way only to find that I was mistaken. I am not a stranger to self-examination, but sometimes it takes an outside source to point out a character flaw that may seem small to me but has a very large impact on how others relate to me. It may boil down to semantics: some people say I am adaptable because I am willing and able to jump into many different situations, some people say I am unpredictable because I have been in those situations. I think the former is well worth expanding on, but unless I find the root of the latter and why that portion of people do not see it the way the first group does, I will not always have the desired affect on people and that can hinder my progress in reaching my life goals.

#27232 - 07/19/09 12:42 AM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: ceruleansteel]
Samuel Hain Offline
pledge

Loc: arkansas
People hate generalizations. By people, of course, I mean the herd, not the elite.To bad they can't be good little lemmings and run off the cliff to enhance humanity and lighten our load.They have been taught that to generalize and stereotype is the height of evil because the media masters say it is. Of course these beacons of tolerance and open mindedness also stereotype in every movie and TV show they do.They can have their enemies but we are not allowed to have ours. In reality why do we even call them generalizations? Because they are generally true.Why build a political or religious philosophy on the exception to the rule , as if they are the norm, and reserve all your hatred and venom for those who point out in reality that the emperor truly has no clothes?
#27234 - 07/19/09 03:39 AM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: Samuel Hain]
hellbent666
Unregistered

Stereotypes exist whether we like them or not. Any sociologist will tell you that the main premise behind their work is due to those existing stereotypes. But for good or for ill?

Ill I say! What good is it to pretend like you're a part of some conventional, prescribed, iron on patch of social behavior? I think in this regard is where I despise certain parts of Satanism. It advocates that we, in a sense, lie to others, just to gain material success. Materialism nauseates me more than anything though. I adhere to my utopian ideals when I say that above all else it is most important to be genuine, even when you will not be benefited.

You get to be that lone wolf, that is not swayed by others' whims. You get to be 100% genuine regardless of social venue. This I think has a much better pay off when you KNOW you're the real deal and not just doing shit to one up someone.

#27240 - 07/19/09 01:56 PM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: ]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Getting to be the bad lone wolf will not pay your rent on time.

There are better ways to manipulate the herd than to always spit in their face.

It is a matter of knowing when to act and how to act in any given situation so that you can come out on top.

Morgan

#27242 - 07/19/09 07:44 PM Re: Stereotyping Yourself [Re: ]
ceruleansteel Offline

Loc: Behind you
Okay, so your stereotype is non-conformist loser who will never make it in life, yet blames everyone else for his station instead of doing something about it.

Quote:
It advocates that we, in a sense, lie to others, just to gain material success.

Actually, it advocates that we do what we need to do in order to achieve WHATEVER we believe is successful. "Vital Existance"...to some it means one thing and to others it means a completely different thing.

And unless you're living in a cave, I'm going to have to call bullshit on your little rant against materialism. At the very least, you have a computer. And I'm betting you also have a television, a few game consoles, a cell phone, a car, and a vast collection of death metal and non-conformist, neutered emo music.

Do you also wear tight jeans and kiss boys?

Quote:
I adhere to my utopian ideals when I say that above all else it is most important to be genuine, even when you will not be benefited.

That is the stupidest batch of crap I have read in a long time. Why are you here? You are obviously NOT an LHP-oriented person. Everything that humans do in life is for benefit. Even your railing against materialism and your so-called utopian ideals are for your benefit (and I'm guessing it's so that others will overlook your most likely less than impressive existance).

Stereotypes exist, and they are a tool that has been and can be used to assist someone in becoming whatever they deem is a success in their life, whether it be amassing great wealth or avoiding some task. It is also a tool that (as I've already said) can keep us safe from harm and help us make wise decisions. Thinking that you are the genuine article is bullshit. You project an appearance just like everyone else does. Do you openly fart in public?

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.