Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#785 - 10/02/07 01:33 AM What "The Occult" means to me.
Gravity Offline
stranger

Loc: U S A
"The Occult" is a wide ranging subject. Just about anyone in my country would be able to give an opinion on those two words if asked about them. For the most part, my discussions with the common person about this subject was limited to the perspective of a "Compleat Spectator". These spectators are amazed at what is not easily explained and are fascinated with these fancy tales, highly susceptible to the effects of Magic.

But I. When I hear the term "The Occult" I do not immediately turn my thoughts towards Mr. Crowley or Sasquatch. Rather, it immediately translates as "Uncovering that which is hidden." in my mind. Or "See what others do not." Or anything along those lines.

"The Occult" to me, for example, was earlier today listening to a specific radio program and recognizing that the host was playing a certain character type to hold sway on his audience. All his guests fit into that narrow character type that he so carefully portrayed. Even the commercials aired during the program held true to the tone and the demeanor of the host and his guests. When he received calls from his audience it was easy to see that they all fit into a certain character type of their own as well. Just the kind of people who would be receptive to the Great Magical working that was this show.

The fact that I could see beyond and fly directly to the source of the Magic, was "The Occult" at work.

At least this is my perspective on the subject. Anyone here understand where I'm coming from?

#786 - 10/02/07 01:39 AM Re: What "The Occult" means to me. [Re: Gravity]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
The term Occult as you use it takes me back to cold late nights in woods, under a clear moon lit night in November, long knives, blood, fire, lust and things I can't remember.

Edited by Fist (10/02/07 01:43 AM)
Edit Reason: drinking and posting

#789 - 10/02/07 02:26 AM Re: What "The Occult" means to me. [Re: Fist]
ICouldBuyYouAll Offline
stranger

Loc: Expensive
I think one of my Fraternity brothers can relate Fist.

He thought he was the Incredible Hulk because when he use to get drunk and passed out, we'd put oversize torn purple shorts on him, drag him out in the woods and leave him.

#798 - 10/02/07 11:10 AM Re: What "The Occult" means to me. [Re: ICouldBuyYouAll]
97and107 Offline

Loc: New Mexico
The occult is the hidden, just as the etymology of the word suggests. It is the study of all things veiled to us. It gave rise to alchemy, which was the precursor to modern science. Isaac Newton was a professed alchemist. Occultism continues on into the present, exploring that which is just on the very fringes of human consciousness. There is no place in occultism for superstition - that is the very thing we seek to dispel through our research of the highest truths, beyond all that is and ever was.
#799 - 10/02/07 12:14 PM Re: What "The Occult" means to me. [Re: 97and107]
Old Spider Offline
stranger

Basically, science is another name for occult studies and magick is something we know works, but we don't yet know exactly how it works.
#801 - 10/02/07 01:27 PM Re: What "The Occult" means to me. [Re: Gravity]
Carme Offline
stranger

Gravity:

My take on "the occult" is that it's merely a different flavor of the mystical or religious mumbojumbo spouted by those with a need to look outside the realm of tangible explanations or supported theories to satisfy their ignorant ideas about the world.

Anyone with a rudimentary understanding of psychology and human behavior would read your post, nod, and say: so what? Don't get me wrong: it's great that you're seeing into such things--truly, keep questioning--but leave the fairy dust out of it.

Fist:

Are you trying to be humorous? I suppose pointless one-liners (that aren't even that witty or funny) are tolerated now. Let's hear it for mediocrity--a Satanist's most frequent companion. I single you out because, frankly, you should know better. It makes ICouldBuyYouAll's drivel look OK.

Please, please someone (who has the time) respond to Old Spider's comment that science is basically another name for occult studies. Simply reading that made me puke a little in my mouth.

#806 - 10/02/07 04:46 PM Re: What "The Occult" means to me. [Re: Carme]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Science is defined magic.

Magic can be undefined science.

#1847 - 11/13/07 11:57 AM Re: What "The Occult" means to me. [Re: Old Spider]
97and107 Offline

Originally Posted By: Old Spider
Basically, science is another name for occult studies and magick is something we know works, but we don't yet know exactly how it works.

Hmm, I'm not sure I understand you here...

Science is a method, and we can use it in the occult, but that alone won't serve our purpose. Much of occultism is mystery...big mysteries that can't be solved right away, even in science. Alchemy was the forerunner to modern science, and even today alchemy continues to be the most logical choice for an occultist to turn to for support of his or her theories.

Magick is the act of causing change to occur in conformity with your will...just as Crowley suggest (and I do agree)

The occult itself is just a broad term for anything obscured from view...and we have whole archetypes of "mystery" at play in the world so this gives us much mental fuel for certain...

Harpocrates for instance, Pan, Hermes, Mithras, Satan...these all draw us and lurk just beyond the field of our vision, delighting us with their mystery.

From what I have observed, almost all Satanists love a good mystery...and a good fight...

The difference between us and your regular jackoffs is the Satanist actively pursues that mystery, rather than just getting on your knees and bowing before it in fear....

not to say that kneeling doesn't have it's proper applications...

;\)

#1915 - 11/14/07 09:26 PM Re: What "The Occult" means to me. [Re: Gravity]
Chandler Offline
stranger

Quite often the Occult is only "hidden" because people are so ignorant. One doesn't have to try too hard to monopolize some secrets.

The Occultist doesn't necessarily have to be a practitioner of magic. He can be the guy merely taking notice, a scholar, an armchair magician. It is a pursuit with its own intrigue. Also, I would consider a conspirator of any achievement to be of a particular breed of occultist.

And certainly, practical psychology that isn't just common sense would constitute occult knowledge -even magic at times.

But I reserve the term "magic" for a narrower category of phenomena than did the Great Beast. If it is not "magical", I do not consider it to be magic, and neither do most people.

By "magical", what do I mean? I'll tell you. It doesn't have to be anything profound, but it must at least SEEM profound. As 97and107 said, or to this effect, magic ought to be an intentional act for which the cause is not comprehensible. Lesser Magic, in my opinion (LaVey did not say this) is that magic which misdirects the onlooker, but not the magician. This would be the case with ordinary legerdemain, and the sort of crowd psychology or individual exploitation that you mentioned.

But Greater Magic, as I define it, would be that sort of magic which actually mystifies the magician himself. Achieving altered states of consciousness which bring about certain effects with reliability, where the chain of causality cannot be traced. A great deal of the time, because human beings are so profoundly complicated, we need to misdirect ourselves to perceive the world in a mode that allows for opportunities to present themselves practicably. The most basic example would be the guy who awakens and affirms his mission statement in the mirror every morning: "I am happy, confident, desirable, and destined for success!" But Ceremonial Magic is far more advanced than that. And a mission statement has a more obvious means of effectiveness than Ceremonial Magic. It is also NOT AS EFFECTIVE as Ceremonial Magic. It is a commonly known method of self-misdirection, which I would therefore not consider magical or occult.

And there are certainly less explicable phenomena out there, but this is my conservative treatment of the subject.

#1916 - 11/15/07 12:14 AM Re: What "The Occult" means to me. [Re: Chandler]
97and107 Offline

True, an occultist can also be a student, but let's not forget, as you study you are causing change to occur in your brain tissue on a very physical real level.

Thus everyone except a person in a vegetable state is a magician...we all have power. Some people just choose to push the envelope more than others.

This misdirection you speak of is important. A great system to use is the I Ching. You can use it to overlap thousands of archetypes at once, and go beyond even what traditional ceremonial magick is capable of. It is possible because of the nature of binary communication, which is fast, efficient and extends across culture and popular meme. So one can tap into every archetype and design on the planet at once, if all the arrangements are laid out in the right ways...that's some formidable firepower.

#2679 - 12/10/07 01:54 AM Re: What "The Occult" means to me. [Re: 97and107]
Annuit Coeptis Offline
banned
stranger

Loc: USA
The term stems from the Latin occulo -culere -cului -cultum, meaning “to cover, to hide." Hence we have the participle occultus -a -um {hidden, concealed, private}, and the adverb occulte {secretly, obscurely}. Alas, scores of the Brotherhoods claiming the greater heritage of the Illuminati fail to heed the obligations to their teachings indicated in the etymology of “occult.”

A true and honorable Brotherhood will heed two main Hermetic “powers of the Sphinx” as its obligatory and pivotal precept: “to keep Silent” and “to Go.” Religion is innate to Mankind. Accordingly, disposition toward occult teachings also lay innate in souls with this temper. All occult teachings emit from initiatory visions of Arte birthed now and again within silent inheritances of Magi hidden in the libraries at Alexandria, in the Caves at Qumran and Nag Hammadi, preserved in the libraries of the Vatican, in Alexandria, Pergamum and practiced in the Tibetan monasteries of the Himalayas, and within the Pyramids of Gizeh.

It is no irony that Religious Science within an academic rubric has overturned the idea that “occult” is hidden from public view, and has revised it to mean that ordinary reality overlays hidden meanings and essences that can be learned with proper instruction. The instructions are no longer “occult” in the old sense. A salient feature of modern Western occultism is a reliance on texts to provide the means for a practitioner to teach him or herself. In other words, one can successfully practice occultism without ever having to come into contact with a living teacher.

Frater Annuit Coeptis

#93756 - 10/16/14 02:45 PM Re: What "The Occult" means to me. [Re: Gravity]
Camila Carroll Offline
lurker

Many people either have one or another answer. The occult as being of anything spiritual. Or just "evil devil worship" as I recall many saying. In my view the occult is basically the unknown. And people fear the unknown and run away from it. Not trying to understand it at all. Many people I know is okay with ignorance. Is okay going to "Heaven" and having all memories and truth erased from your mind. Playing pretend happy for all eternity. Yet people like us wants to approach the truth and want to seek it. We follow the left hand path with question. With excitement.
#93832 - 10/18/14 06:02 PM Re: What "The Occult" means to me. [Re: Morgan]
witch Offline
pledge

If "magic" is what we cannot define, the occult provides us with possible definitions. The "occult" should rather be anticipated as a source of knowledge.

#93835 - 10/18/14 07:13 PM Re: What "The Occult" means to me. [Re: Gravity]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
Here's your reading assignment for tonight. Peter McAlpine, a good friend and member of the original Church of Satan, dashed off this gem back at the beginning of the 1970s, and Anton and I jammed it down the throat [or up the ass] of everyone who asked us about "the occult" thereafter. ;\)

Peter was a pioneer modern conspiracy theorist, although he was a bit hung up on the British royal family as the evil geniuses behind all the world's ills. I told him I might drink to that in the period leading up to World War I [see the DVD docudrama Fall of Eagles], but today I think HMQE2 is just trying to keep her rambunctious family out of the tabloids.

#94862 - 12/17/14 08:04 AM Re: What "The Occult" means to me. [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Setan Kober Offline
lurker

For me, occult is hidden nature knowledge about universe
Occult is beyond "modern" religion and science.
We know for sure, Occult works
But it is difficult to understand occult with logical concept.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.