Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8035 - 04/20/08 10:02 PM My first attempt at Stop Motion Animation...
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
I dunno if this will be appropriate to post, but I wanted to show off.....

Bear in mind this is my first ever attempt at stop motion, and yes, I was helped by a friend of mine, of whom studies animation.

Give me your opinions and critique. \:\)

#8036 - 04/20/08 10:10 PM Re: My first attempt at Stop Motion Animation... [Re: DistroyA]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
It was way too quick to form an opinion. If you would have made it last say 10 seconds, then perhaps we could get a sense of what was going on.

#8037 - 04/20/08 10:53 PM Re: My first attempt at Stop Motion Animation... [Re: DistroyA]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut
Looks like Optimus Prime transforming to me... A good first test...

Your lighting needs to be way more consistent... What are you using for a camera a still cam or a video cam? How long did the 4 seconds take to do?

~T~

Funny I almost bought clay today but decided I need to focus on building my shop...

A friend showed me this a few days ago...

Bumblebee vs Optimus Prime

Edited by ta2zz (04/20/08 10:58 PM)
Edit Reason: added clip

#8044 - 04/21/08 05:58 AM Re: My first attempt at Stop Motion Animation... [Re: DistroyA]
psiren Offline
pledge

Loc: Spain
Cool, it was short though. I did a few of these with clay figures, takes forever doesn't it? I got about 5 seconds worth of film for a whole days work, and it was pretty jumpy too.
#8054 - 04/21/08 11:08 AM Re: My first attempt at Stop Motion Animation... [Re: psiren]
neurosys Offline
stranger

Loc: san diego, CA
I toyed with stop motion and clay a long time back when I got my first digital cam. I guess it takes a long time but its so much fun I guess I didnt notice. I wish I still had the vid, I made like what looked like a tiny gumby rolled into a ball which rolls into view of the camera then stops, its bottom flattens out and the animation is basically me sculpting what eventually turned out looking like those lil baby devil skulls you see on the tabloid front pages. nothing to be read into that btw lol, its just what it turned up looking like and I thought it was cool. Now I do 3d animation for my own video game developments (still learning).

I liked your vid lol almsot forgot that. The short experimental ones are the most fun. very cool.

Neurosys

#8062 - 04/21/08 12:17 PM Re: My first attempt at Stop Motion Animation... [Re: neurosys]
psiren Offline
pledge

Loc: Spain
I wish I had my vid too, it was just a demo I did at work, work then being art and media workshops for kids. It wasn't anything great, just a little dude hatching out of an egg and walking about. It was cute though, I'm shit hot with clay and stuff.
#8329 - 05/01/08 01:43 PM Re: My first attempt at Stop Motion Animation... [Re: ta2zz]
DistroyA Offline

Originally Posted By: ta2zz
Looks like Optimus Prime transforming to me... A good first test...

Your lighting needs to be way more consistent... What are you using for a camera a still cam or a video cam? How long did the 4 seconds take to do?

~T~

Yeah, I know about the lighting. It was really just an introduction for me to Stop Motion.

I was using my friend's Macbook's iSight on a freeware Stop Motion program.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get a more portable camera and make better animations soon.

Thanks for the critique anyway. I'm glad one or two people liked it. \:\)

#8370 - 05/03/08 12:10 PM Re: My first attempt at Stop Motion Animation... [Re: DistroyA]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut
Anasazi Stop Motion Animator

The above program seems to be good and free... Free is always hard to beat... It's limitations and bugs are well documented... I have tested this program with my DV camcorder (not a panasonic) using the Panasonic VFW DV codec listed on that last page... But have not even gone as far as you did...

I will admit I just do not seem to have the room to set up something that will not be moved between shooting...

BTW. I put up that clip as something to strive for not to discourage you...

Peace

~T~

#8845 - 05/20/08 11:47 AM Re: My first attempt at Stop Motion Animation... [Re: ta2zz]
DistroyA Offline

Seems the program is Windows only. I use Mac, so it's kinda useless to me. Thanks for the link though. I got a free program anyway for Mac (That still has some bugs and problems, due to it being converted to my older version of OS X)

As for the clip you posted, I kinda realised that, so don't worry, I'm not discouraged in the slightest. In fact, I'm still aiming to improve my animation skills and techniques, and posted a couple of testers on Youtube about a month ago, so yeah, like I said, you haven't discouraged me.

In fact, I saw that vid you posted after posting my vid on Youtube. It's still a good example of stop motion.

Cheers

DistroyA

#11000 - 08/24/08 06:39 PM Re: My first attempt at Stop Motion Animation... [Re: DistroyA]
DemonProphet Offline
stranger

Loc: Maryland, USA
Good first try, I was going to try it out myself but just stuck with regular video. Kudos

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.019 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 23 queries. Zlib compression disabled.