Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#8040 - 04/21/08 01:13 AM Opinions on intentional deception
selene Offline
stranger

I'm curious to what your thoughts are on deceiving someone purposefully for your own good. As an example, I currently am in a profession that certain people find distasteful, and that future employers will likely look down upon. Therefore, I generally tell a cover story to these individuals to protect myself from any negative repercussions. And yes, to answer the most often asked question, I am prepared to deal with consequences if I am "found out".

This practice fits fine with my personal beliefs, but I would like alternate opinions. One thought that I have from time to time is 'am I just deceiving myself through this practice?' Which leads me to think: 'should I simply be brutally honest with these individuals and live with my repercussions?'

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure where to place it...!

Many thanks for all intelligent responses,
Selene

#8041 - 04/21/08 03:10 AM Re: Opinions on intentional deception [Re: selene]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Loc: CA
Its a dog eat dog world out there. People lie to you constantly. Every time a guy smiles and talks to you, no matter what he says, he only want one thing...

The pharmaceutical industry lies to you. They tell you how great their pills work... invent new disorders and syndromes, make new pills for them... sure they work great, but there are the side effects they brush under the rug...

Politicians, do you think they're honest with you?

Every one is lying to you in someway, and they're making a profit off it it. Its like a game, which you haven't learned to play like them.

Kayla

~~352~~

#8042 - 04/21/08 03:18 AM Re: Opinions on intentional deception [Re: selene]
Sinistar Offline

Loc: New York City
Everybody will do it to you so might as well, right? If you're doing it as part of your profession, then be good at it. "Self-preservation is the highest of law."

Interesting that Luc brings up the pharmaceutical companies. I've already got issues with them. People do it us.

Nothing positive ever comes about from brutal honesty. That's why it's "brutal".

#8043 - 04/21/08 05:44 AM Re: Opinions on intentional deception [Re: selene]
psiren Offline
pledge

Loc: Spain
Honesty can come back and bite you on the ass. Even when people admire your honesty and openess, they've always got that knowledge about you to use against you if necessary to their own ends. I speak from personal experience, I'm often too open for my own good.
It's not deceiving yourself to omit certain information and have a useful cover story. It's self-protection.
Doesn't everyone lie to prospective employers to some extent?

#8046 - 04/21/08 09:28 AM Re: Opinions on intentional deception [Re: psiren]
PigFeeder Offline

Loc: Near Montreal, QC
"He who stand on the tallest pile of skulls can see the farthest".
"Rise above all, even yourself. Only then can you truly at your greatest."

I might have gotten those quotes a little off but the idea is there. If lying about something makes you in a better position than the outsider, then yes, do it. Do what you have to do to make your life better, not theres.

Think of it this way, everyone is an opponent. Because at one point or another they will screw you over, hurt you, lie about you, do something negative to you in one way or another. So the less your opponent knows about you, the better position you are in.
"What mama don't know can't hurt her." Right? And if they do find out use your cunning intelligence to figure out what your next step is. You are the one that has to make the decision on when to lie and when to tell the truth. You have to make the decision of when it is right and wrong, a positive impact or negative. Asses the situation, and deal with it so it end in your favour. It's your life, the ball is always in yur court, what are you going to do with it? Always think of the possible reprecussions of your actions. It is up to you to find out if what you are doing is worth it or not.

Good luck, and may you be succesful in and, enjoy your work.

#8049 - 04/21/08 10:00 AM Re: Opinions on intentional deception [Re: PigFeeder]
97and107 Offline

Loc: New Mexico
Yes, I think so, and once upon engaging in such debate, one will come to learn truth is always the best option. to become a Lord of Lies, one needs to become truth...
#8052 - 04/21/08 10:23 AM Re: Opinions on intentional deception [Re: PigFeeder]
selene Offline
stranger

@Luciferific: It's rather ironic that you bring up men's desires first in your post because that is exactly what I exploit. Well, women as well but to a much lesser extent.

@Sinistar: Do you really think absolutely nothing positive comes out of brutal honesty? I believe there is a time and place for its use, just that it should be used selectively with certain persons. The employers/people I refer to in my OP are excluded from this, of course.

@psiren: Your last line made me laugh, because it is so true, I remember taking a pre-hire ethics "test" while I was a teenager which had to be answered a certain way in order to be hired. I don't believe anyone would have answered that test honestly and still been considered for the company!

@PigFeeder: I live by "what they don't know won't hurt them" in reference to certain familial figures in my life. Also, I do very much enjoy my work, and it's quite lucrative for me at the present time. It will be interesting to see what happens come summer as the economy continues to worsen.

@97and107: I'm not quite sure I understand what you have posted... I interpret what you mean as one should always present their "truth" as "the truth" and ensure it is accepted as such with whomever they should encounter?

To all: I appreciate your willingness to respond to me. One thing I've always despised about most online forums is that until you have XX number of posts, you tend to be ignored or written off. Granted, we mostly do that to avoid baiting trolls and wasting time with ignorant posters, but it is frustrating to simply be new and not be answered.

Thanks again for all the logical responses,

Selene

#8076 - 04/21/08 11:34 PM Re: Opinions on intentional deception [Re: selene]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
As a hobby, I make a small living off of lying on a daily basis. I play poker. I have to lie. And I am lied to constantly. I find it easy to read an opponent and see if they truly have the hand or not. I also try to disguise my tells as best I can. By learning to read an opponent, I can carry that over into every day interaction in daily life. I can see when a coworker or one of my kids is fibbing. I don't think anyone can claim to being 100% honest in their life.

Secondly, did you ever think that by being active online, you could be found out? Myspace, Facebook, 600club. All are accessible by doing some simple searches based on user names and real names. An employer or lover could google you and find out about your secret life. Be wary about what you share online.

#8078 - 04/22/08 12:02 AM Re: Opinions on intentional deception [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
Octavius Offline

Loc: just visiting
 Originally Posted By: LUCIFERIFIC
Its a dog eat dog world out there. People lie to you constantly. Every time a guy smiles and talks to you, no matter what he says, he only want one thing...

Fuck, I HATE this stereotype. Contrary to popular opinion, men CAN think without using their cock. I can certainly appreciate an attractive female without ulterior motives. When I smile at a woman at work, I'm not thinking about what I want to do to her; I'm thinking about how much money I can get her to spend in my store. If that means doting on her like a little princess because she's putting off the "worship my cuteness" vibe, no problem. But that doesn't mean I want to bone her. In fact, if she's putting off that kind of vibe I'm actually TURNED OFF. Narcissism is transparent and obvious. (Just look at School Bully's posts...sorry, mate.) Actually, few things give me more pleasure than shutting down some sweet thing who thinks she's "all that."

Confidence is one thing, and is certainly alluring, but a pretty woman doesn't automatically send all men into rape-mode. And don't come back with some tired argument about men and their uncontrollable testosterone, or how nature drives the human male to reproduce on a subconscious level. Yes, we are animals. However, we are intelligent animals who can control our erections.

#8080 - 04/22/08 01:54 AM Re: Opinions on intentional deception [Re: Octavius]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
As a women of the world, I would like to back you on that post Octavious. That type of stereotype only makes it harder for men that aren't like that to be taken at face value and for ones that are easier for them to justify that behaviour.

Good on YOU Octovious, more power to ya!

Zeph

#8083 - 04/22/08 07:01 AM Re: Opinions on intentional deception [Re: Octavius]
School Bully Offline

Loc: Melbourne
 Originally Posted By: Octavius
Narcissism is transparent and obvious. (Just look at School Bully's posts...sorry, mate.)

The only crime I am guilty of is that the only person I wish to know absolutely and thoroughly well is myself.

I've got my beady little eyes on you, Octavius ... you'll keep.

#8095 - 04/22/08 03:02 PM Re: Opinions on intentional deception [Re: fakepropht]
selene Offline
stranger

@fakepropht: I agree with you, I would find it very hard to believe anyone is completely honest in every interaction they encounter. As far as online activity, I do tend to be ever so slightly paranoid and thus restrict what information is shared on any site.
#8096 - 04/22/08 03:08 PM Re: Opinions on intentional deception [Re: Octavius]
PigFeeder Offline

Loc: Near Montreal, QC
Yes I agree with you. I became sort of inferiror because I also HATE this stereotype. I've heard it used many times and I get mad everytime. I was debating on answering but you inspired me I must say. I absolutely despise this stereotype. Men can think and converse without the desire for sex. It isn't always about getting laid.. Not everyone has desires they cannot control. I don't know about you Kayla, but I can control myself very well and my goals are hardly ever sex. I have older friends and we talk about many things. One of them beibng women. I have friends who say "Wow I really like her, I'd really like to get to know her". But I know fromthere personality and the thibngs discussed that the goal is merely conversation; a result of finding the person interesting. And by the way, you're all up for "Women and men are equal"? Well.. This speaks for itself.. What men do women do as well. Women are just quiter and less obvious about it.. Most of the time..

~~ Snow ~~.

#8107 - 04/22/08 11:49 PM Re: Opinions on intentional deception [Re: PigFeeder]
97and107 Offline

Loc: New Mexico
Yeah? Well I'm shallow...I size up every guy I come across as makeable or not...

All of my friends are fuckable, except that I'm monogamous at heart. Well....not all of them. On some level, sure. I'm a Narcissist...straight up. I love looking at myself in the mirror. Curvy curvy curvy....squeezing my nipples to make my boobs look nice and perky...oh yeah...

Vanity.

XD

#8108 - 04/23/08 12:00 AM Re: Opinions on intentional deception [Re: 97and107]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Loc: CA
Oh baby! Naomi, that post was *tit*-illating \:\) I think we already talked about this sizing up thing in a different thread. But I was being general with men, just to try and show Serene that men lie, and thats its okay for her to lie also.

K

~~352~~

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.