Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8160 - 04/24/08 11:22 PM Earth Expansion
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Loc: CA
That's the name of the theory opposite to the theory of plate tectonics.

The theory says that instead of plates moving around aimlessly after breaking apart from pangea; the earth was actually smaller in size and gradually just grew bigger.

It seems like a silly theory; but lets watch the video first:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VjgidAICoQI

After watching the video it *looks* plausible. Especially when the ocean floor is done in the rainbow colors.

One thing it would explain would be the giant size of animals and bugs back then millions of years ago... smaller earth would mean less gravity... less gravity would mean bigger things. So as the earth gets bigger, its gravity grows stronger, and things shrink.

But I don't understand where all the water (ocean) came from in this theoretical model? Unless the small earth was like Europa and was once covered entirely of water?

I just found the theory interesting. If the earth was expanding, would that mean there were voids and pockets of space inside the earth? And if this theory were true, it would mean Atlantis and Lumeria could not have existed, because there is now room for even another continent.

I came up with a far out hypothesis that maybe the earth is a giant hollow geode; with a crusty outside, and its inside was made of giant crystals of some type. But I can't prove this.

Kayla

Edited by LUCIFERIFIC (04/24/08 11:42 PM)

~~352~~

#8165 - 04/25/08 10:01 AM Re: Earth Expansion [Re: LUCIFERIFIC]
Meq Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: LUCIFERIFIC
But I don't understand where all the water (ocean) came from in this theoretical model? Unless the small earth was like Europa and was once covered entirely of water?

Nope, that won't work - according to this model, land animals and trees evolved before the Earth expanded a few million years ago (hence the matching fossil remains along opposing continental coasts). So there must have been dry land before the Earth expanded.

So where did the water come from?
Was it from Noah's flood or a similar supernatural event?
Or is the growth of the oceans simply impossible to explain rationally on this model?

Of course, the sea beds could have been much deeper than now - but that doesn't quite cut the mustard in explaining how an Earth almost completely covered in land (on that model) expanded to become 70% water-covered.

The possibility of empty space (or gas?) expanding inside the earth (blowing it up like a balloon?) seems a bit more plausible than the mass of the earth increasing over the last few million years (which would be necessary to alter the gravity and crush large animals). And again, where would the extra mass come from?

But unless this empty space can be observed and measured, and all rational competing hypotheses discounted, I see little evidence yet for its existence.

Perhaps the orthodox model of plate tectonics has some holes in it. Science progresses through revising old models in the light of new evidence and better explanatory theories.
So mainstream science may well revise this model in the future (to whatever extent) if it turns out to no longer fit the best available evidence.

However, I'm not yet ready to buy into the Earth Expansion model - this seems to be lacking in scientific credibility to at least the extent of its competing model - though I'll leave the final word to open-minded professional geologists for now...

Meq

#8167 - 04/25/08 12:35 PM Re: Earth Expansion [Re: Meq]
LUCIFERIFIC Offline

Loc: CA
You're right Meq. An earth that is all land expanding to be 70% water is about as backwards as god making Adam out of dirt, and we humans being 70-80% water \:\) !

Darn, the gravity thing works so well in this expansion model too... if gravity increases with size? But I read somewhere gravity is associated with the mass of an object... if the earth expanded, and no additional mass was gained (because I don't see how as you pointed out), then its mass would be relatively the same right?

I guess it's back to plate tectonics for me. But the rainbow colors they did with the seabed?

Oh wait, they have found massive spaces below the ocean... it has a weird name beginning with a P. I ran into it a while back. That P word was borrowed from this fictional work. I have to go find it and i'll post it here. From what I'm remember these caverns below the ocean were found to be the size of continents; but very hot...

Kayla

Edited by LUCIFERIFIC (04/25/08 12:42 PM)

~~352~~

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.017 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 16 queries. Zlib compression disabled.