Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#828 - 10/02/07 11:17 PM Guests in chat...
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut
Hey Rick,

We talked about it you agreed that guests were worth some fun when we were bored in chat... Should guests be allowed back into the chat room?

Anyone have any comments on this issue? Are we just asking for more silly kiddies as members?

#850 - 10/03/07 12:47 PM Re: Guests in chat... [Re: ta2zz]
MCSA TEK Offline
pledge

Loc: Orlando Fl USA
On the positive side.

I sincerely enjoy speaking to guests who enter our chat in order to learn what it is that we believe. It gives me the opportunity to set the record straight and to offer a different point of view. I truly believe in our system and feel that following its concepts can drastically improve peoples lives. Having "interested and respectful" guests in the chat room offers a fantastic opportunity for us to grow as a board.

HOWEVER

Guests are a double edged sword.

We may not keep it in mind often, but we do serve as a public face for Satanism. We are representative of our community and If one of our members steps out of line we do have some control. We can, at the very least ban him and correct the posts.

I have entered the old chats only to find guests pretending to be members spreading misinformation, stereotypes, and even trying to scam other guests out of credit card numbers. I feel that allowing guests without having some way to police them is a bad idea.

Without moderation, the chats should remain private.

Just my .02

Chris

#865 - 10/03/07 11:49 PM Re: Guests in chat... [Re: MCSA TEK]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
The old chat allowed you to go into private chat. A useful feature IMHO.

#873 - 10/04/07 05:15 AM Re: Guests in chat... [Re: MCSA TEK]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: MCSA TEK
We may not keep it in mind often, but we do serve as a public face for Satanism. We are representative of our community and If one of our members steps out of line we do have some control. We can, at the very least ban him and correct the posts.

Forum members were banned due to conduct in the chat if I remember correctly… Lets not blow our position out of proportion…

Quote:
I have entered the old chats only to find guests pretending to be members spreading misinformation, stereotypes, and even trying to scam other guests out of credit card numbers. I feel that allowing guests without having some way to police them is a bad idea.

From what I seem to remember the focus was on me… Perhaps I pissed off a guest, or it was a disgruntled x-member trying to make trouble for me, shit for all we know it was a current member… But needless any guest that a few of you saw trying to say they were me from Africa funny shit there… Did you give it your credit information? Did you pay it for your membership here? If any did you deserve the consequences…

Quote:
Without moderation, the chats should remain private.

I stopped needing a bathroom monitor in preschool… Seriously how much happened from guests in chat?

Ultimately it is Rick’s decision…

~T~

#874 - 10/04/07 05:18 AM Re: Guests in chat... [Re: Fist]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: Fist
The old chat allowed you to go into private chat. A useful feature IMHO.

While useful in ways it could end up remaining the same as now with all members in a hidden room therefore not there... This new chat does allow pm's...

Now perhaps a room for members only and a room for mixed crowds could work...

~T~

#902 - 10/04/07 05:33 PM Re: Guests in chat... [Re: ta2zz]
Veldrin Offline
pledge

Loc: Melbourne, Australia.
Who could hold a vendetta against you ta2zz? =P

Hmm, it's a tricky choice, both have good and bad sides.
Having an open chat does give new members another way to learn, however this can be done by simply taking two minutes and registering and making a post. Or even just read the posts without registering, that's what I did for a while.

There are other options for those seeking information, so I'd rather it be members only. Cutting down on the people simply out for annoyance would be a boon, in my view at least.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.02 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.