Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#84371 - 01/22/14 03:47 AM TopShelfSpirits: HardtoFind/Expensive Alternatives
PsybaisdBheulach Offline
pledge

Loc: California
I like top shelf but often I do not like the price tag. With a little time and research I have found that I can often find an alternative. With more and more information and review sites it has been easier then when I first began this research methodology.

About 25 years ago I looked for an alternative to the ever expensive Louis XIII de Remy Martin Grande Champagne Cognac 750ml, currently it is 2799.99 a bottle at K and L wines. I have never bought a bottle, for obvious reasons, but I have sampled it in a bar setting at 75 a shot. It is beyond smooth and a very nice experience. But I wanted to find something at least comparable and in my search back then, which took a while, without the internet’s existence, I found this alternative: Delamain Pale & Dry Grande Champagne Cognac 750ml which is currently 75 at K and L Wines

My current search has been for Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon. This is a hard to find bourbon and I am told it is produced in a low volume but costs about 100. But the problem is getting one, and the people that do either sell it at a 100 plus a shot or they sell it on an auction site for 2-3000. So after a little Internet research I found this alternative: W. L. Weller Special Reserve Straight Bourbon Whiskey 750ml. It is made with the same formulation as Pappy Van Winkle and the price is very easy on the eyes. Currently K and L wines has it at 17.

These are some of my suggestions for alternatives, what suggestions can everyone else make?

#84464 - 01/25/14 08:48 AM Re: TopShelfSpirits: HardtoFind/Expensive Alternatives [Re: PsybaisdBheulach]
PsybaisdBheulach Offline
pledge

I am not typically a Vodka drinker but I have tasted a few but nothing that would be considered overly expensive. I recently was filming a Bloody-Mary competition for a bartender friend of mine and the vodka they used was the best he had ever tasted. The name of the Vodka is Tito’s Handmade Vodka ( http://titosvodka.com ) I sampled some and it reminded me of some homemade grappa I once had, it was outstanding and I would highly recommend it.

Edited by PsybaisdBheulach (01/25/14 08:49 AM)

#85776 - 03/16/14 12:02 PM Re: TopShelfSpirits: HardtoFind/Expensive Alternatives [Re: PsybaisdBheulach]
Goliath Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: PsybaisdBheulach
Delamain Pale & Dry Grande Champagne Cognac 750ml which is currently 75 at K and L Wines

*Takes notes*

I'm very far from being an expert on wine, but one resource you might consider is the Wine Trials.

The authors argue that one of the main reasons why wine fans and reviewers prefer expensive, top-shelf wines to cheaper alternatives is simply because the top-shelf wines are more expensive. That taste they enjoy so much is the taste of money.

They claim to have confirmed this hypothesis with blind taste tests, in which testers regularly rated inexpensive wines more highly than expensive ones.

Whether that's true or not, the Wine Trials provides a long list of inexpensive wines which their tasters rated highly, and this list has never steered me wrong. I've enjoyed every wine I've purchased based on their recommendation--and their comparatively low prices have allowed me to spread the risk around, instead of gambling a large sum of money on a single bottle of Chateau de Prix-élevé that I may or may not like.

(Though I still do like to splurge once in a while. What's the point of having a little money if you can't piss it away?)

Of course, since I wasn't part of the blind taste test, this raises an interesting question: am I really enjoying the taste of the wine? Or just the taste of cost-efficiency?

#85830 - 03/20/14 12:48 AM Re: TopShelfSpirits: HardtoFind/Expensive Alternatives [Re: Goliath]
PsybaisdBheulach Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: Goliath
*Takes notes*

I will critique instead.

I'm very far from being an expert on wine, but one resource you might consider is the Wine Trials.

What Wine Trials are you talking about? Add references/quotes/hyperlinks.

(Though I still do like to splurge once in a while. What's the point of having a little money if you can't piss it away?)

That is your opinion not mine. For me, I would prefer to buy something better or comparable for less; hence the point of this post.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.018 seconds of which 0.004 seconds were spent on 17 queries. Zlib compression disabled.