Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#12166 - 10/03/08 12:35 AM Re: Temple of Set...Satanists? [Re: Fabiano]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
[quote=Fabiano]When you say :
 Quote:
he is the neter (Platonic Form, universal principle) of isolate self consciousness - the individual awareness of being from which all intelligent life proceeds. Can this be assimilated to what the buddhists call the "Clear Light mind" ?

No, I think that what you are referring to here is the Buddhist nirvana, which represents an individual's mind or consciousness cleared of all junk [to put it simply]. This is one of the main explanations of/justifications for initiation. It is also, in Setian philosophy, an impossibility. The junk is just as necessary as the sublime purity. What's important is to realize each as such, and to utilize it wisely. [This happened to be another one of Anton's insights; he was passionately interested in personal deification, but always with an eye to the "monsters of the id" accompanying such a quest.]

Set is the neter of the isolate consciousness of self, of unique, aware existence. This is the beginning of the quest, not its end. Indeed we would say that there is no final end [and certainly not a common one] - there is rather Xeper, a continuous evolution of deification. Hegel's "dialectic idealism" is sometimes described as "the mind of God seeking to fully understand itself through the unfolding of universal history". We'd say that is each of us.

#12169 - 10/03/08 04:07 AM Re: Temple of Set...Satanists? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
Welcome!

How wonderfully lucky we are to have you contribute to 'our' forum.

I personally have read and enjoyed your book on the Church of Satan and will definately download and read you book on the Temple of Set.

I'm sure you'll enjoy this forum. There are some great minds here and for the most part, interesting discussion. This is little more than a 'hello', but I do hope to learn much from your presence here. I hope that I also have something to offer you also.

The Temple of Set was actually the first internet page I found on Satanism when I starting looking into it a scant 2 odd years ago. Then I found this site and was immediately hooked, unfortunately that was the old forum and all that wonderful information was lost, however this one is starting to grow and develope again.

Anyway enough garrulous chit chat.

I can totally relate to what you are saying about the beginning of the quest as apposed to the end, or a set end or outcome. I can't imagine that there is a final end other than the permenant one of death.

It's a point that LUX was totally not getting. Focusing on the self isn't just about selfishness and bad behaviour and an excuse to be rude and an arsehole.

Zeph

#12175 - 10/03/08 07:23 AM Re: Temple of Set...Satanists? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
I've been deeply interested in Egyptian mythology for at least the past 10 years, starting in high school. My interest has waned in it a bit over the recent years and I haven't kept up my studies, but I still retained quite a lot of information about the complexities of their pantheons. As well as the manner in which the major gods tended to absorb the personalities and attributes of the many locals gods worshipped in various regions throughout Egypt.

I know I'm not the only one who wishes the Greeks had never meddled with their religion and traditions, bastardizing and corrupting much of the information. Egyptian scholars themselves warned against the Greeks and their tendency to distort information on their behalf.

Had you heard of the possibility that the great interpretative works done by Budge were incorrect? That his interpretation of the more advanced hieroglyphs were off, thereby rendering our understanding of the Egyptian culture inaccurate? After having studied hieroglyphs on my own for some time, I was none too pleased to hear about this. I never researched it further, as this was the time I started to lose interest.

Apep is considered to be more of an elemental god, such as Nut and Geb, even Ma'at, yes? Not to be worshipped, yet remains a personification of "enemy" for both the gods and humans to continually battle.

#12209 - 10/04/08 09:12 PM Re: Temple of Set...Satanists? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Fabiano Offline

Thanks a lot for the time you spent for answering me, I appreciate!

Indeed, according to the buddhist, the "Clear Light Mind" cannot be seen as long as there are "raw feelings/mindstates" (as opposite to "subtile") . Through meditation, you stop the "raw" feelings (the junk as you named them) and step into more and more subtile mindstates. The most subtile being the "Clear Light Mind".
I think LHP religions & philosophies share the approach of "stripping the junk for keeping only the purest". The LHP doesn't do it this way. It considers the Junk is part of us. We just have to accept it and plainly live with it.

But do you think that it's really impossible to realise the "Clear Light Mind" through meditation ? (even if useless)

However, I still have the feeling that the Clear Light Mind is close to "the individual awareness of being from which all intelligent life proceeds".
Usually, we're "lost in our thoughts". At work thinking about what we do, or about our next vacations,... If we "step back" and look at our thoughts, we obseve that there are our thoughts and "me" looking at my thoughts" This isthe very first step of introspective meditation. By training, one can "step back" more and more, The Clear Light Mind is the most subtile mindstate, the one who is aware of being and from which all of the other "mindstates" derives (aka "from which all intelligent life proceeds" ?).

Another parallelism might be that the Clear Light Mind is also called "the nature of Buddha". Buddha play here the role of the neter.

Thanks again for having read me till here.

Fabiano

#12257 - 10/06/08 04:36 AM Re: Temple of Set...Satanists? [Re: Fabiano]
diabolus_rob Offline
lurker

Loc: Texas
Still nobody interested in obtaining my copy of the crystal tablet of set?I'd be willing to trade it for a hardbound copy of the Satanic Bible or The Satanic Rituals,or perhaps a leatherbound copy like the ones that used to be sold on satanicbibles.com

This is a rare text that is issued to members only,i'm sure any occultist or researcher on the black arts would love to have this among their collection.

I rarely login,if anyone is interested email me @ robthezombiemma@gmail.com

#12258 - 10/06/08 06:58 AM Re: Temple of Set...Satanists? [Re: diabolus_rob]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Somehow I don't think that the founder of the Temple of Set, Michael Aquino, would appreciate you hawking his goods to the highest bidder like a man with fake Rolexes in his trenchcoat.

Besides, it is available online .

#12277 - 10/06/08 02:30 PM The Crystal Tablet and the Satanic Bible/Rituals [Re: diabolus_rob]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: diabolus_rob
Still nobody interested in obtaining my copy of the crystal tablet of set?I'd be willing to trade it for a hardbound copy of the Satanic Bible or The Satanic Rituals,or perhaps a leatherbound copy like the ones that used to be sold on satanicbibles.com

This is a rare text that is issued to members only,i'm sure any occultist or researcher on the black arts would love to have this among their collection.

The Crystal Tablet of Set is the first volume of the Jeweled Tablets of Set (Crystal, Ruby, Onyx, Sapphire, Amethyst, Topaz) available to Setians of related initiatory degrees. They are all worthless or priceless depending upon the reader's point of view. They are also constantly-updated publications, such that a CT over a year or so old will be obsolete in many respects. [This is why we maintain the JTs in our private website.] So I wouldn't recommend anyone buying an old copy.

The hardcover Satanic Bible (containing my Introduction) and Rituals came out only briefly in 1972, at about the time the paperback SR was issued. They were not re-typeset - just photo blow-ups of the paperbacks. Despite the fact that they sell on the collector market for astonishing sums, you might as well just pick up the paperbacks. If you can find early edition paperbacks, they'll have the very interesting dedication pages eliminated from the current ones. Or just download my Church of Satan here and read the background chapters on the books, including the dedication details.

One of my daydreams is to do a really nicely-reformatted SB edition combining the two books, with all of the text perfected, footnoted, annotated, and appendixed. When and if I ever get through with my current TOS ebook, I may play around with this idea [more, since I've already done a bit of it]. But then it would just have to snooze in electronic limbo until the books turn public-domain.

#12279 - 10/06/08 03:32 PM Re: Temple of Set...Satanists? [Re: The Zebu]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: The Zebu
Apep is the closest egyptian equivalent to Satan, as he is the scapegoated embodiment of darkness, chaos, and areligion... yet is opposed by Set, who has also been compared to Satan because of his demonization in late egyptian mythology.

However, as far as I know, Apep has never represented things like individualism and questioning the norm like the symbol of Satan has. It wouldn't make much sense to worship Apep.

I don't think the ToS has that kind of dualism though, so Apep would be meaningless to Setians, or perhaps allegorical at best.

HOW AN ECLIPSE HAPPENS
(as related by Bast to her kittens)
- by Margaret Wendall IV°
Scroll of Set #III-3, November 1977

Once upon a time Sekhmet was awakened from her noon nap by all the living things on Earth and by all the gods and goddesses, because Apep was daring to eat Ra in front of them, and they were all frightened.

But all the gods and goddesses knew that Sekhmet could save Ra. Sekhmet got up, snarling at being so rudely awakened. Like all felines she enjoys her noon naps in little patches of sunlight under big trees. But the other gods and goddesses prevailed and calmed Sekhmet as they explained the seriousness of the situation.
Sekhmet is used to that upstart Apep trying to eat Ra each afternoon and causing it to get dark all over the Earth. Even though she enjoys the darkness of night, when she can hunt under the gem-like stars strewn on the soft darkness, she also knows that if she doesn’t save Ra, all life will perish. If she doesn’t save Ra, her own existence is in peril, so every night, Sekhmet scares Apep and makes him vomit Ra up and put him back together again, just in time for Ra to get into the barque that carries him across the daytime sky.

This day, however, Apep must have slithered into Ra’s barque, hiding until the dastardly deed was to be done. Sekhmet cast aside her fear of swimming and set out for the barque. The fight for Ra had begun. Luckily for all living things, and for all the gods and goddesses, Apep had only begun to eat Ra when Sekhmet climbed into the barque.

She pounced on Apep, roaring and with claws and fangs bared, and scared Apep so much that he let go of Ra after only one bite. Apep spat that up and, with a paw on Apep, Sekhmet herself put Ra back together again. Then she took Apep in her mouth, jumped back into the sky, and returned to Earth.

The wily Apep slithered out of her mouth and got away, but Sekhmet knew he’d be back later in the afternoon, just when Ra’s barque would be landing. So she lay down to wait for him, purring at her great accomplishment. All the living things and gods and goddesses gave loud cheers of thanks to Sekhmet for saving Ra, and for saving them.

And this is why you don’t ever need to worry about Ra. As long as Sekhmet is here, waiting for his barque, she will protect him from Apep, and we’ll have our little patches of sunlight to keep warm in, while we wait for the darkness and the good hunting it brings.

Curl up, my kittens, and go back to sleep. You’re safe.

#12290 - 10/06/08 06:29 PM Re: The Crystal Tablet and the Satanic Bible/Rituals [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Greg Offline
stranger

Loc: France, Paris
At least if you wish to edit in French the CoS, I know an interested publisher...

To return to Set, researchers demonstrated links between the Hebraic alpahabet and the hyéroglyphs, Satan in Hebrew ( stn ) being a deformation of the ideogram Set, Champollion had already had the intuition of it. It seems that during the period of hyksos, there was a fusion between Set and Apep. It is the transition which announces the monotheism where all which symbolizes the darkness, the chaos, the contradiction, the violence is not multiple any more and not differentiated but one.

http://www.facebook.com/diableries

#12292 - 10/06/08 07:08 PM Re: Temple of Set...Satanists? [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
Greg Offline
stranger

Loc: France, Paris
Could the Xeper get closer to existentialist concepts such as Dasein (Heidegger) or Existenz (Jaspers)?

http://www.facebook.com/diableries

#12651 - 10/14/08 04:31 PM Re: Temple of Set...Satanists? [Re: 97and107]
AnOpenHand Offline
stranger

Loc: England
I agree I wholeheartedly with you 97and107, the more I observe the more I see the 'I'm far better/more intellectual/I was bullied at school' mentaltity emerging with certain people who would join a red paper hat church if they thought it would give them a higher horse and more stones to throw at their own glass houses. The size of the egos these forums attract -actually I'll correct myself its not just Satanism forums it's anything that is an "alternative" (I hate that word) its like flies to shit.
Theres good folks to with good heads on their shoulders but it's a shame about the morons who fail to perform in their existences so they trawl the net 24hrs a day looking for people to torment.
Popularity is overrated, but in the cases of some wankers any attention is better then none. Anyone can cut and paste parts of peoples posts make a few very poor vague assasinations then sit and jerk off over how smart they are. Xaulamyn you only let people acheive their goals if you allow the response they desire.

#14182 - 11/11/08 04:01 AM Re: Temple of Set...Satanists? [Re: AnOpenHand]
Magus Masonica Offline
Banned
stranger

Loc: WA
Thank you for posing Dr.Aquino. I am very interested in the Temple. I am currently reading and absorbing all that I can. If the path takes me where I see it progressing, I will be contacting the Temple of Set to hopefully become a member very soon.

Xeper resonates very strongly with me. It feels very natural.
Regards,
BC

#36144 - 03/07/10 07:41 PM Re: Temple of Set...Satanists? [Re: Greg]
Meq Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: Greg
Could the Xeper get closer to existentialist concepts such as Dasein (Heidegger) or Existenz (Jaspers)?

If I may resurrect an old thread... I was also wondering if the concept of Xeper has much of a connection with Carl Gustav Jung's concept of Individuation. (The latter is of importance to many Satanists.)

#36146 - 03/07/10 11:51 PM Jung's "Individuation" [Re: Meq]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: Meq
I was also wondering if the concept of Xeper has much of a connection with Carl Gustav Jung's concept of Individuation. (The latter is of importance to many Satanists.)

No, Jung's "individuation" involves getting in touch with unrecognized parts of your personality as it is animalistically (which is presumably how you relate/limit the concept to Satanic-theme Atheism). Xeper, on the other hand, refers to the evolutionary, transformative process by which the Setian dispenses with an animal existence to assume a divine one.

I might add as a historical note that, while both of these approaches were implicit, and not necessarily perceived as mutually-exclusive in the original Church of Satan, by 1975 we really had not come to grips with either of them. Our work with Black Magic, for instance, was essentially action-objective or illustrative, not self-transformative or -investigative. [Did you ever see so many "-ives" in one sentence?]

#36178 - 03/09/10 12:40 PM Morbius, something is approaching the perimeter. [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Originally Posted By: MawhrinSkel
I would be curious regarding how you exclude the bestial aspects of the initiation process and how these are perceived by the ToS today.

As the consciousness and will are strengthened, and as one progressively replaces nonconscious acceptance of & compliance with mass standards of morality and behavior, there is the simultaneous danger of what in the 1960s was usually called "inflation of the ego" (a sort of Caligula approach to all of one's whims and desires). By the Temple of Set we often called it "the id-monster" - not because we were Freudians, but rather with reference to Forbidden Planet. Because it is frequently a non-self-consciously-perceived phenomenon.

There is no easy or universal answer. An initiatory environment helps, because others around you, who are familiar with both the Xeper process and you, can sometimes see the monster developing and stand by with a super soaker. But ultimately what is required is, during initiation, a constant attention to the full range of one's consciousness, not just the Will To Power aspect. Takes a bit longer and is not as much Marvel Comics fun, but you don't wreck spaceships.

Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.029 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.