Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#12630 - 10/13/08 10:17 PM Re: Something for the Noobs [Re: Dan_Dread]
Octavius Offline

Loc: just visiting
I already have changed Satanism for many people. I haven't needed your approval thus far and don't expect I'll need it going forward.

Here's a few things I think are wrong with Satanism...

The undue attention that Abrahamic religions get from Satanists.
Corpsepaint/Black Metal
Forum/Keyboard Warriors
LaVey worship
Closed-minded chest-puffing egotists who can't spell or construct a coherent sentence.
Shock value for the sake of attention (baphomet pendents, inverted crosses, skulls, demons, swastikas, etc.)
Peter Gilmore
Boyd Rice
Richard Ramirez
Varg Vikernes
The Beasts of Satan
Maxine Deitrich
Dawn Perlmutter
Marilyn Manson
Joe Fiorella

#12632 - 10/13/08 10:25 PM Re: Something for the Noobs [Re: Octavius]
BloodHorn Offline

Loc: Stockbridge Ga
Arrogance makes some people feel they are the only and best on this earth so to speak. And to think i almost had respect for this guy.
I am disgusted by this post.

#12633 - 10/13/08 10:37 PM Re: Something for the Noobs [Re: BloodHorn]
Octavius Offline

Loc: just visiting
Arrogance certainly plays a part. For shit's sake, we Satanists! I'm better than a lot of people, and I know that a lot of people are better than me. Wisdom comes with knowing who isn't worth your time and who can teach you something. I'm never above someone who can show me a new way of thinking or pointing out where my own thinking is skewed.

#12635 - 10/13/08 10:40 PM Re: Something for the Noobs [Re: Octavius]
BloodHorn Offline

Loc: Stockbridge Ga
Well i thought you may teach me something but your last post before this one has turned me off to you man. I have excepted that i am not very smart, But I can learn. I just dunno if it will be from you.. I just dunno.

#12637 - 10/13/08 11:00 PM Re: Something for the Noobs [Re: Octavius]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
 Originally Posted By: Octavius
I already have changed Satanism for many people.

Heh. You really believe that?

Quote:

Here's a few things I think are wrong with Satanism...

The undue attention that Abrahamic religions get from Satanists.
Corpsepaint/Black Metal
Forum/Keyboard Warriors
LaVey worship
Closed-minded chest-puffing egotists who can't spell or construct a coherent sentence.
Shock value for the sake of attention (baphomet pendents, inverted crosses, skulls, demons, swastikas, etc.)
Peter Gilmore
Boyd Rice
Richard Ramirez
Varg Vikernes
The Beasts of Satan
Maxine Deitrich
Dawn Perlmutter
Marilyn Manson
Joe Fiorella

So..uhh ya. That's a list of things you don't like. So basically you want 'Satanism' to reflect all of your opinions.

Look's to me like you are more interested in starting a cult of personality than anything. Good luck with that \:\)

#13859 - 11/04/08 03:43 PM Re: Something for the Noobs [Re: Dan_Dread]
AnOpenHand Offline
stranger

Loc: England
I've changed Satanism for many people?
What does that mean?
I have no idea?
Please educate and enlighten me oh enwisended one...
Sounds like a crock of prima donna shit to me

#13881 - 11/04/08 11:04 PM Re: Something for the Noobs [Re: AnOpenHand]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
You weren't the one he replied to. Hence the reason it didn't make sense. Please feel free to insert your other foot in your mouth.

#18966 - 01/26/09 08:37 AM Re: Something for the Noobs [Re: Octavius]
Gabby Offline
Banned
stranger

Loc: West Virginia
Is Satanism like an organized religion? I am getting this impression from a lot of Satanists on this forum. It might not be mainstream, but I imagine there could be different sects of Satanism like in Christianity or any faith based religion.

I was surprised in reading the book that The Satanic Bible was more like a philosophy based religion than a faith based one.

I could be wrong. I mentioned Satanism in a pagan chatroom. I don't remember what some said, but apparently it's something that most people have trouble defining Satanism even to themselves. It's good to see people defining it.

Is Satan a figure that originated in Christianity? Hm. Maybe the word Satan is used for 'Satanism' because Christianity was seen by Anton LaVey as utter brainwashing and folly, so he sought to change that. I don't know everything behind the book's origins, only what I read from it. I do think that if some of the views of Satanists are to wipe out the population of people with diseases and all that, then Satanism is not for me.

#18969 - 01/26/09 10:39 AM Re: Something for the Noobs [Re: Octavius]
The AntiChris Offline
pledge

Loc: Pennsylvania
I'm very happy this video came up and enjoyed watching. I agree with much of what you said in particular the context of your statement "To approach everything with an agnostic point of view...", which I feel is one of the most important tools in continuing one's development in personnel honesty and knowledge. I do agree that "Challenging everything in life is a basic tenant of Satanism."
Thank you.

#37651 - 04/16/10 03:44 AM Re: Something for the Noobs [Re: The AntiChris]
immortal1 Offline
stranger

Loc: Northern Virginia
What Octavius presents in his video is NOT Satanism...He clearly states that at the beginning by calling his belief system "Autotheism". Anyone who knows etymologies should know what that means, and that is basically what Satanism teaches(LeVeyan or otherwise)...to be your own God!
The video is "...for the noobs", which I am. However, I know that it will be of great educational value for many vets on this site also. The information Octavius provides is both succinct and well structured, providing a solid logical framework for challenging, questioning, and understanding the topics discussed in this forum.
Octavius' post of his "Not Cool List" seems somewhat out of character for him, in contrast with how calm, cool, and collected he is in his video. I do agree with much of what is on your list, even though I am a big black metal fan (don't wear corpsepaint though). But he is entitled to his opinion, as are we all.
Dan, as for you, I have not read a single post from you that is not completely narrow-minded and negative. Do you have nothing of benefit to add to this forum other than griping and being a "No" Man? And as for Satanists being born not made, that is about the most absurd thing I have ever heard. Surely genetics and disposition play a part, but so does environment, interests, and culture.

"I'm a goddamn heretic, not a god-fearing lunatic.
It's become my obsession, to treat God like an infection"
-Slayer

#37653 - 04/16/10 05:52 AM Re: Something for the Noobs [Re: immortal1]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Irony, using a quote stating you are a heretic written/sung by a self proclaimed Catholic.

You registered on 1/20/10, you don't know Octavius long enough to know what is in or out of his character.

What Dan adds or doesn't to this forum is sure as shit not up to you. It doesn't matter if you don't see any benefits at all. If you don't like what he has to say, don't read what he writes.

As for Satanist's being born not made.
Whatever, there are enough posts on this matter at almost 6am.
Either you agree or you don't.
Those that believe it is in you won't change their minds.
Those that think it can be grown/adapted, like you seem to believe, won't change your mind either.

THE THING IS, IF YOU ARE BORN A SATANIST, YOU REALLY DON'T GIVE A SHIT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK ABOUT IT. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO PROVE, AND DON'T CARE ABOUT CHANGING OR PREACHING TO ANYONE ABOUT IT.

Morgan

#37658 - 04/16/10 08:34 AM Re: Something for the Noobs [Re: Morgan]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
 Quote:
Dan, as for you, I have not read a single post from you that is not completely narrow-minded and negative. Do you have nothing of benefit to add to this forum other than griping and being a "No" Man? And as for Satanists being born not made, that is about the most absurd thing I have ever heard. Surely genetics and disposition play a part, but so does environment, interests, and culture.

Look son, I have qualified myself as a Satanist for over 20 years, and have attained a level of understanding that you never will. Plenty of newbs have come along, such as yourself, with big ideas about what Satanism should be and what is and is not Satanic. Like them, nobody cares what you have to say, and as Satanism was not marred or changed by them, nor will you impact it. I would bet in two months you will be on a wiccan or christian forum raising the same sort of asinine objections, still unsure of who you are.Meanwhile, I'll still be here, and I'm sure I won't even remember you, nor will anyone else.

#37662 - 04/16/10 12:06 PM Re: Something for the Noobs [Re: Dan_Dread]
Chandler Offline
stranger

I personally can think of nothing more Satanic than changing Satanism to suit yourself. One of the most fundamental aspects of Satanism is the recognition of the self as God. Respect for the self as God is much more important than respect for the Church of Satan as an institution, or respect for the teaching of the Satanic Bible. It is supposedly the character of Satan who inspires these thoughts anyway. Satanism is the philosophy of Satan. It is a philosophy which would lead the individual to revolt against God, or whatever is the ruling principle of the status quo.

If Anton LaVey is to be taken as an example, then it should be noted that all he did was take an existing idea, "Satanism" (even though it wasn't an existing religion), and modify it to suit himself. To regard the opinions of Anton LaVey as constituting Satanism is to ignore the principle that motivated LaVey to pass his own opinions off as a religion in the first place.

And that principle is autotheism, or suitheism: the elevation of the self to the level of God in one's own system of values.

Ideas like "Satanists are born and not made" and "indulgence not compulsion", these are the opinions of Anton LaVey. To adopt these views contrary to your own nature in order to be definable as a Satanist is to fundamentally alienate yourself from the archetype of Satan, not to mention the real philosophy of Anton LaVey.

To follow Anton LaVey is ironic, but it is an irony at one's own expense and not his. The Satanic Bible is written in such a way as to encourage people to "be more like Anton". But those who really "get it", are more likely to write their own Bible, and I think Anton would have respected these a lot more, however silently.

#37664 - 04/16/10 01:05 PM Re: Something for the Noobs [Re: SkaffenAmtiskaw]
Chandler Offline
stranger

Just because someone used the word "Satanism" in a particular way doesn't give them a copyright on its definition. There are many elements in LaVeyan Satanism that are inessential to the idea of Satanism. "Satanism" refers us to Satan, not to Anton LaVey. The question in determining what Satanism means is to determine what Satan means, not to determine what someone once said Satanism should mean. And when we refer ourselves to Satan we get a mythological character who possessed certain virtues and represented certain ideas. I see his elevation of himself to the office of God as being important. So when I say Satanism I refer to autotheism and everything that entails. Just because someone older than me came around first and said that he wanted Satanism to mean something, doesn't mean I have to go along with it. Yes, this leads to division in the meaning of Satanism. Most philosophies have this same problem.
#37703 - 04/17/10 12:14 AM Re: Something for the Noobs [Re: Dan_Dread]
immortal1 Offline
stranger

Loc: Northern Virginia
[quote=Dan_Dread]
 Quote:
Look son, I have qualified myself as a Satanist for over 20 years, and have attained a level of understanding that you never will. Plenty of newbs have come along, such as yourself, with big ideas about what Satanism should be and what is and is not Satanic. Like them, nobody cares what you have to say, and as Satanism was not marred or changed by them, nor will you impact it. I would bet in two months you will be on a wiccan or christian forum raising the same sort of asinine objections, still unsure of who you are. Meanwhile, I'll still be here, and I'm sure I won't even remember you, nor will anyone else.

This is in reply to both Morgan and Dan. Let me start by stating that this forum is for people to discuss things related to Satanism. People post things to DISCUSS and EXCHANGE ideas, to maybe learn something new or bounce their new ideas off someone they respect. I am not trying, nor will I ever try, to change your mind or anyone else's. I am quite sure of my beliefs, as are you, but unlike you I seem to be able to not unreasonably bash every single thing that gets posted. I have no clue why you even bother to be a member of this forum. If you can please enlighten me, I would love to know \:\)
Your feined superiority is at best amusing to me. That you have "attained a level of understanding that [I] never will" makes me laugh. What kind of "understanding" that is has not been made clear and since you have nothing to prove to anyone, you offer no fact, proof, or otherwise to back up this blanket statement. I also see a disconnect in your thinking: you have gained this heightened level of understanding but yet possess an extremely narrow-minded viewpoint. People, you, me, or anyone else cannot learn of gain understanding through thinking that you alone possess the answers.
Morgan stated that if I don't like what you write, then I should ignore you, change the channel. This is a suggestion, but it seems odd to me that I am singled out as the offender in this case. We all could take Morgan's advice and just not read anything on here that we don't like or agree with. That's not very Satanic, would you not agree? I have always questioned and challenged ideas and theories, and this is a fundamental tenet of Satanism, and have been doing this well before I ever thought of myself as a Satanist. I am simply exercising my opinions, as are all who post on this forum. Due to the nature and subject matter of this forum, which is Satanism (theology and philosophy mainly), people are naturally going to disagree and there will be posts that rub others the wrong way. But it is only through reading and responding to what others think that one will gain and sort of "heightened level of understanding". I will continue to participate in this forum, and with much enjoyment. And if I disagree with something, I will air my disagreement through a post, just like everyone else on here. This forum is already turning out to be so much better than I thought it would be. Learning about people, social anthropolgy, is interesting and the knowledge one can gain from it is priceless.
Morgan, the quote I used was written, yes, by Tom Araya of Slayer, who has stated he is a Catholic. It is still a great line in a great song. That's why I put it in there. I think you read a little too much into it, though. The SONG, written in first person, states that the subject of the song is claiming to be a heretic. I am not claiming to be on. For one to be a heretic, one must first belong to a church. It is only then that one can commit heresy against it. But that's just semantics and not a lot of fun.
Moving on, there seems to be quite a bit of the "I'm set in my beliefs, and so are all TRUE (meaning older) Satanists, so why bother posting or reading anything that disagrees with what I believe. I am soooo superior to you that you will never alter my thinking or change what I believe." If people bowed to this weak intimidation, this forum would be empty of posts. I think it is YOU who maybe don't get anything from this forum because, as you have stated, you have it all figured out. Sounds to me like there is nothing more for you to learn, so participating in this forum sounds like a waste of your time.
Oh, and last of all, Dan, calling someone "son" where I'm from will get your ass beat unless it is one's father saying it. Maybe you know this and aimed this disrespect at me. Dem fightin' words, that's for sure. Easy to hide behind a computer monitor and say shit like that.
Still and yet, I hope everyone enjoys their weekend! Looking forward to more interesting dialogue and potent banter. Good night.

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.