Page 4 of 8 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#14033 - 11/07/08 03:43 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: mondomon]
Jake999 Offline

I spent 20 years in the military and made it to a lot of places around the world. I ate a lot of things. Why? I don't know. I've had:

Camel, horse, peacock, lizard, snail, monkey, dog, rat,snake, "ranger stew" (anything you can find under a rock or crawling on the ground and stick in a pot), haggis, squid, octopus and balut... look it up... google an image. No, I won't eat balut again.

#14036 - 11/07/08 05:10 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: Jake999]
Marilyn Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Jake999
I spent 20 years in the military and made it to a lot of places around the world. I ate a lot of things. Why? I don't know. I've had:

Camel, horse, peacock, lizard, snail, monkey, dog, rat,snake, "ranger stew" (anything you can find under a rock or crawling on the ground and stick in a pot), haggis, squid, octopus and balut... look it up... google an image. No, I won't eat balut again.

on the note of balut... well,i remember seeing it on the tv.
they said it was a pretty much day to day thing in some countries, what did it taste of?

also, has anyone come across the documentary were they eat tarantulas?
After seeing that i was a bit shocked, but thats down to having a bunch as pets \:\(

HS!

#14038 - 11/07/08 05:18 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: Marilyn]
Jake999 Offline

Balut tastes like... balut. There's an "eggy" tasts and a pungent smell and it's crunchy if you're eating an aged version where the chick is more developed than in the early stages.

#14041 - 11/07/08 05:54 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: Jake999]
Marilyn Offline
stranger

i will keep an eye out for it if i ever travel to a country that does it.

it cant be as bad as eating a chinese egg thats about 100 years old.

haha

wonder how that would be, or imagine the evilness of the eggy farts you would get,, them farts would be pure vintage

HS!

#14124 - 11/09/08 08:42 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: morgoth]
Chelsea_Grin Offline
pledge

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Hahaha I havent thought of Fear Factor in forever! I used to watch it every monday night when it was on. My dad and I actually sent in an application for the family episode, but we missed the deadline. I don't think i've ever eaten anything too weird though...the most exotic food ive ever eaten though was a fruit i ate in guatemala called a leecha...at least i think thats the spelling. it looks llike a multi colored nurf ball on the outside with all the tentacles and stuff, but on the inside its a fruit that has the consistincey of a thin jello...its like candy over there. its my favorite fruit now though!
#14125 - 11/09/08 10:36 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: Chelsea_Grin]
Satansfarm Offline

Loc: america
mealworms
i used to work in a pet shop
more like shrimp than chicken
the squirming is deliteful
no, really

Edited by Satansfarm (11/09/08 10:37 PM)

#15951 - 12/11/08 08:25 AM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: fakepropht]
Fallon Offline
stranger

Loc: UK, Swindon
 Originally Posted By: fakepropht
Do crayons and paste count? If so, then I have logged many a school snack with those. Paste had an odd sort of minty flavor to it. Crayons, no real flavor, but somehow I just coudln't resist having a little nibble here and there.

I admit i have had a candle to eat once, it was so tempting... it was crazy.... taste like crap though, i also drank some bold 2 in 1 detergent.

never again

#16003 - 12/11/08 09:34 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: Fallon]
Butterz Offline
pledge

Loc: Georgia
The strangest thing I have eaten is canned dog food. Ol'Roy Lamb and Rice. I heated it, taste like canned stew. Not that strange, I know.

Recently a friend of mine made egg drop soup. Anyone heard of it? Basically it's Cup O' Noodles with raw egg mixed in. Looks pretty sick.

#16006 - 12/12/08 12:13 AM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: Butterz]
Happy Birthday fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
Are you kidding me? Egg drop soup. That is some of the best Asian soup ever. If you get the real stuff, not this Ramen crap, you will see. Whenever I hit an Asian place for food I always order a soup. They rock.

#16021 - 12/12/08 06:35 AM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: fakepropht]
Picunnus Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Egg drop soup is the shit! You should try making it if you're into that sort of thing, fake. It's ridiculously easy - basically all you need is broth and egg. You break the egg into a bowl and mix it up with a fork - then drizzle it into the hot broth. Yum! My mom always added a few green onion chunks too - mmm good.

Made with raman? Sounds awful.

#16121 - 12/13/08 11:08 AM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: Picunnus]
Meq Offline
Banned

I'd make sure the hens are vaccinated against Salmonella before doing that.
Food poisoning is a bitch.

Also, don't forget where the eggs come from.
Hens don't have a special hole for eggs and another for shit...

#16133 - 12/13/08 03:34 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: Meq]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

The egg cooks almost instantly in the hot soup... I myself like whipping an egg into chicken soup here and there... I find whipping the egg with a fork as you pour it into the soup makes it cook to the consistency of grated cheese...

I guess the real warning here would be to make sure your soup is hot enough to thoroughly cook the egg...

~T~

#16277 - 12/16/08 08:12 AM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: Meq]
Picunnus Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Yeah, no one is condoning the consumption of raw egg here. Ew.

#16505 - 12/19/08 03:23 AM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: Picunnus]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
How about "Menudo" - and not the Mexican boy band...

My wife and I were Jones'n for some of this delectible treat one hungover Saturday morning - okay Late Saturday morning, and I stumbled upon this restaurant that looked like a house... okay, it was a house, that looked like a restaraunt... anyway.

I go in an order two large servings of this delicious soup/stew/traditional Mexican hangover cure from this lady that looks like my wife's grandmother. I do this in my best Spanish, and I pat myself on the back for talking coherently in any sort of language at that point...

She says something about a "pata", and I wasn't really listening, so I did my best improv and inferred "sure, go ahead, whatever, weird old lady". She ladles this shit into these ultra-large styrofoam vessels, and I am so pleased with having procured our necessary "medicine", I give my "muchas gracias", paid, and away I went.

So, "Menudo" is a sort of stew made with cow stomach as the main ingredient, combining this with hot red chili, garlic, cumin, and onion to season, and corn hominy added at the last who knows when of cooking - but it's fucking good, and it's a regular in "these here parts...".

What I wasn't listening to, was that "pata" is actually "foot", like "animal foot", and more specifically in this instance (and in all Menudo instances) "pig's foot"... which mine happened to have a healthy heaping of. Now, I know this, but it was a difficult morning, and I'm not great at "fast" Spanish, and I was really just trying to get out of that place. So I dig in to my wonderfully brilliant, liquidy red/brown experience only to notice a huge lump of flesh, which I continued to attempt to consume... when I arrived at... what I can only describe as... a knuckle.

My Spanish improved 1000%, right then and there.

But it was delicious...

#16557 - 12/20/08 02:15 AM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: daevid777]
Happy Birthday fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
I am familiar with this soup. I think it's a New Year's tradition to serve this in the Mexican community. I have a major problem with the texture of the tripe used in this meal. As a kid, I hated hominy as well. So this is very hard for me to eat. When I visit my inlaws in Texas, and this is offered, I will sip the broth and munch on some of the other ingredients used. That usually gets me in their good graces. The broth downright kicks ass. Never had it offered with feet though. That would only add to my dilemma.

When in doubt when ordering a meal from a cosina like that, I always put my wife on the phone and let her do the talking. That way I don't end up eating cow ass in a broiled pig's skull. Give me a huevos con papas burritto in red sauce, and I am happy.

Page 4 of 8 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.