Page 5 of 8 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#16566 - 12/20/08 03:33 AM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: fakepropht]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
Yes, ohhhh, yes.... I think it is a "rite of passage" here... and being "Half-Mexican", I think I was expected to pass the test.

I was sitting in my grandmother's kitchen - a thousand years ago... and they gave me a bowl of this wonderfully noxious concoction.... I was eating it, but I too, never did care for the texture of the "tripe"... as I'm eating this, my cousins sitting around, watching patiently, but expectantly...

"Do you like it?"

"Yeah"

"Reeeaallllyy???"

"Yes, it's good."

"Do you know what it is?"

"No, this is like corn or something, but this other stuff..."

"It's Cow-Stomach!!!!" "Aahahahahahah!!!!!!"

I think I passed the test, and now I am considered "Mexican-enough" by my cousins.

I am now truly Mexican...

I truly love the stuff, but I'll pass on the "pata" ... "gracias"

FP - come down to the real border town, I won't do you wrong, and we won't order anything weird, I promise....... unless we want to ;\)

#16567 - 12/20/08 03:40 AM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: daevid777]
daevid777 Offline

Cocina = Kitchen. Which is pretty much where I went for this.

New Years Day... the Granddaddy of all hangovers... I think this is why it is "Traditional". It's got the protein (ugh), the liquid (hell yeah), the carbs (hominy), and the spice (red chili) to put that zing in your step... as you make your way to the bathroom...

#16568 - 12/20/08 03:49 AM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: daevid777]
daevid777 Offline

Huevos = eggs

con = with

Papas = potatoes

For the "Español - ly challenged....

I hope you got the red sauce bit... everyone?

#16878 - 12/25/08 03:57 AM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: Meq]
spiderbreeder Offline

Loc: Sydney,Australia
Ah-ha! You've just cleared up a bit of a mystery for me - I've always wondered why some free-range eggs have skid marks on them!
The wierdest things I've eaten are fish eyes, a christmas beetle, and the odd spider/creepy-crawley when I was a kid. Kind of pales in comparison to dishes like Blood Pancakes, but I have strayed slightly from The norm. \:\/

#16931 - 12/25/08 08:03 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: spiderbreeder]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
This might qualify as weirdest things you have imbibed. One boring night while stationed in Korea, we decided to rip into the tequila and Night Train. We were drunk and bored and in need of something to do. We decided on playing some kind of dare game or "who's the man". It consisted of trying to outdo each other with some kind of stunt or dare. Eventually this game always ends up in a call to either the cops or emergency services and someone in the back of an ambulance. I forget what the other folks brought to the table. But I remember it got around to me. My roommate and I both chewed tobacco and kept a spit can that we would use. It had a pretty good week's worth of spit in it. So I announced that I would pass it around for everyone to add another lugie to it, and I would drink it. Well my fate was sealed. I had to drink it after announcing such a bold proclamation. The can was passed around and everyone got their chance to clean out their throats and nasal passages into it. I received the can and it was time to man up and guzzle. Which I did. I drank that shit like it was iced tea on a 100 degree day. After I drained the can, I was declared the winner. No one wanted to try to top that. I managed to get it all down and not puke it back up. I was used to swallowing my chewing tobacco anyway, so it really wasn't too bad. The Night
Train surely helped me. Good times.

#16946 - 12/25/08 11:48 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: fakepropht]
spiderbreeder Offline

Loc: Sydney,Australia
Ok, you definitely win fakepropht, none of the previous posts have topped that one for repulsiveness yet- I actually heaved while I was reading that.

Shit, you must have been bored!

#17004 - 12/27/08 12:09 AM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: spiderbreeder]
daevid777 Offline

Yes, and I was just having a drink... I am most utterly... disgusted.

Thank you so very much.

#17024 - 12/27/08 01:00 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: daevid777]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
I really like English Muffins with ketsup.
It just sounds so weird.
M

#17042 - 12/27/08 11:08 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: Morgan]
daevid777 Offline

And biscuits with ketchup? It is weird...

#17052 - 12/28/08 02:48 AM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: daevid777]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
naa, biscuits with honey or butter.
real breakstones butter....

M

#31717 - 11/15/09 08:33 AM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: Morgan]
Room 101 Offline

Loc: Scotland
Ah fuck! What can I bring to the table now after the previous 5 pages of Gourmet revulsion?

I have tried the “worm cheese” when I lived out in Spain. It was actually really nice; I would describe it as “meaty”. The textures and sensation of moving in your mouth was the hardest to get over but I strapped on a pair and chewed. They served the cheese with a desert wine??!! It was a sweet as hell, but it complimented the cheese no end, and I dare say the alcoholic content helped my nards grow to the point that I could eat my fill. Really, if you can get over you inhibitions eating something that’s still moving, then try this. It’s great.

5 years ago I was in Morocco (Marrakesh) with a friend of mine and we get to talking to a guy in a market (yes, I know, it sounds like the setup to hostage situation); food and such is the topic of choice. One things leads to another, and after my friend buying a carpet (which to this day he claim was his idea) we find our self’s lucky enough to be invited back to the families home for a meal.

This was during the time of Eid Al-Kabir (Eid Al-Adha), which marks Abraham’s sacrifice of his son Isaac to God, and is a holiday celebrated by Muslims around the world.

The food was fantastic. I mean fucking inspired. Our hosts were friendly and courteous, and handed back the wine I had brought with a smile on their faces. (I had no idea that they viewed alcohol in such a negative light. But as I say our hosts were very forgiving).

When we got back the hotel, I Googled the name of the dish we had just eaten, turns out it was balls.

Edited by Room 101 (11/15/09 08:42 AM)

#31767 - 11/16/09 12:15 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: Room 101]
Nyte Offline

Loc: Ohio
 Originally Posted By: Room 101
Ah fuck! What can I bring to the table now after the previous 5 pages of Gourmet revulsion?

I have tried the “worm cheese” when I lived out in Spain. It was actually really nice; I would describe it as “meaty”. The textures and sensation of moving in your mouth was the hardest to get over but I strapped on a pair and chewed. They served the cheese with a desert wine??!! It was a sweet as hell, but it complimented the cheese no end, and I dare say the alcoholic content helped my nards grow to the point that I could eat my fill. Really, if you can get over you inhibitions eating something that’s still moving, then try this. It’s great.

5 years ago I was in Morocco (Marrakesh) with a friend of mine and we get to talking to a guy in a market (yes, I know, it sounds like the setup to hostage situation); food and such is the topic of choice. One things leads to another, and after my friend buying a carpet (which to this day he claim was his idea) we find our self’s lucky enough to be invited back to the families home for a meal.

This was during the time of Eid Al-Kabir (Eid Al-Adha), which marks Abraham’s sacrifice of his son Isaac to God, and is a holiday celebrated by Muslims around the world.

The food was fantastic. I mean fucking inspired. Our hosts were friendly and courteous, and handed back the wine I had brought with a smile on their faces. (I had no idea that they viewed alcohol in such a negative light. But as I say our hosts were very forgiving).

When we got back the hotel, I Googled the name of the dish we had just eaten, turns out it was balls.

I just about fell out reading your last sentence. Priceless!!

I'm not one that ventures easily into eating crawly things, or for that matter what some have ventured to eat here. Just the thought of crawlies and my stomach wrenches so hard I seriously debate hitting the bathroom. The ironic part.....if I can get past the smell of a drink or really like the smell, I'll try it. I know, I know....it's all in my head!!

I've watched many of those food shows and some of the things people try on them just doesn't do it for me, at all. Humans....the one animal that will try to eat just about anything. I think Fakepropht has taken the "cake" with his can of "spit". At least for me he has. ::stomach wrenches again at just the thought::

#31805 - 11/17/09 04:14 AM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: Nyte]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
All in a day's work, sir. Sometimes testosterone forces us to make bad decisions.

I have learned there is a local South American restaurant that actually makes authentic cricket tacos. That is on my "to do" list. I shall post a review and perhaps a video if I make it there and sample them.

Tobacco spit isn't that bad. In fact there is a drink in South America that is made from women chewing corn and spitting it into an urn. The pulp is allowed to ferment and strained into an alcoholic beverage. I could be wrong in the spelling, but I think it is chiche. Spit + tobbaco + alcohol = YUM.

#57787 - 07/29/11 09:46 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: fakepropht]
Hegesias Offline

I can honestly say the weirdest thing I have eaten was a banana that came wrapped in plastic.

Just to look at how unnecessary a plastic wrapping is on a fruit that has its own natural protection from the elements.

I often look at how unnecessary and wasteful humanity is, even an ape wouldn't do something so absurd as wrap a banana in plastic.

#57793 - 07/30/11 12:02 AM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: Hegesias]
a. don Offline
pledge

Where I am from, there is this charming dish called "patitas a la vinagrette" it consists of boiled or steamed (I don't know) cow bones with some fat on it. I don't know what the point is, it's far from tasting good.....
Page 5 of 8 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.