Page 1 of 8 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#8604 - 05/11/08 12:59 AM Weirdest Things You Have Eaten
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
Some of my favorite shows are based on eating odd things. We have a diverse group. I'm sure one man's ick is another's pleasure. Has anyone eaten anything they consider truly odd?

My strangest eats occured while stationed in Korea. While doing some Australian rappelling training, we were given some time off. A small group decided to explore the island and see what was kicking. We happened upon a resaurant that served raw squid. I decided to show my nuts and order a plate. There was little effort in the process. The "chef" asked me to go to the tank and select my live squid. I just pointed at one. He plucked it out of the tank, slapped it on a chopping board, busted out his meat clever and diced the tentacles right up. He slid the still moving tentacles onto a plate and handed it to me with a devilish grin. As I plucked the writhing tentacles up in my chopsticks, and placed them into my mouth, I knew it was a mistake. They stuck to your throat as they were going down. They moved around in your mouth. The taste wasn't all that bad. Like an oyster, only moving, and more leathery. I managed to finish my plate, as to not be deemed a pussy.

On a drunken night out with friends, we happened across a street vendor selling meat on a stick. Being late at night, and a few sheets to the wind, we were ready to feast. We asked what it was. Kaegogi(sp). Dog meat. It had been marinated, grilled, and slathered in hoisin sauce. I, and a few others, decided to try it. We had heard the rumors that they actually served dog meat, so why pass on an opportunity to try it. It was really good. Or at least that is the memory of that night that sticks with me. The marinating, sauce, and grilling really worked well. I do remember it being sort of greasy. Kind of like eating lamb.

Next on my plate, cricket tacos. I hear there is a place about 45 minutes from here that serves tradional cricket tacos from some region down in the southern hemisphere.

#8605 - 05/11/08 01:59 AM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: fakepropht]
Sinistar Offline

Loc: New York City
This is pretty tame compared to what you've eaten. Back in '94 when I was stationed out in Ft. Hood (Yes, we always happen to eat weird stuff while in the military) and we were playing around in the woods for about a month. Our Humvee ran over a rattlesnake and my buddy from Maine said: "I bet you never ate a snake before, dude." I declined but eventually succumbed to the peer pressure when all the country boys uttered the 3 magic words: "I dare you". Hey, that's all I needed right?

The roadkill deluxe wasn't too bad. It actually tasted like chicken but the meat's texture was funny. It felt like rubber but it did taste decent. Recently, I don't think I've eaten anything too weird.

#8611 - 05/11/08 02:54 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: Sinistar]
97and107 Offline

Loc: New Mexico
Rose petals...

I don't really believe in eccentric eating, to me food is a means and not an end in itself, I have my vices, coffee, for instance and I used to really love blue cheese, once, most likely, an odd delicacy in and of itself in the old world.

But let's see, I've had deer heart that I gutted myself, rabbit baked in shredded carrot chutney (ha!) all manner of japanese seaweeds, octopus, elk, buffalo, moose and colloidal gold, as well as my dead great grandmother's ashes...

rofl

It's a terrible story but they were being kept in the garage in an urn , I accidently tipped them over and apparently it wasn't secured so *poof* a cloud of ash went up and I'm pretty sure I inhaled at least a little...

Good chod practice, lulz...

#8625 - 05/12/08 07:14 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: 97and107]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
I have ate a few different things, but kinda weirdest would be, rose petals, honeysuckle, and silica.

Dont ask why, just as kids, we do strange things....

Morg

#8628 - 05/12/08 08:30 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: Morgan]
Big Slick

Do crayons and paste count? If so, then I have logged many a school snack with those. Paste had an odd sort of minty flavor to it. Crayons, no real flavor, but somehow I just coudln't resist having a little nibble here and there.

#8629 - 05/12/08 08:31 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: Morgan]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
Yes as kids.....this is pretty disgusting and I really don't remember doing it, but as child I used to eat garden snails.

Apparantly I'd squish them up in my hands all gooey and snotty.

Ewwwwwww.....man I dry reach at the thought now. Other than that, I can't say I've been very adventurous with strange foods. I mean I've eaten the standard things, but not any exotic creatures.

When I was in Sth Korea, I did however see the dog meat for sale. We were walking through a market in Daejon, when we noticed a stall some way down with meat piled up on it with bright red flesh. We wondered down there and sure enough there were dog heads, legs, bodies etc all piled neatly on this stall.

I immediately whipped out my camera, but the little Agima got most upset and started chasing me around stopping me from taking photos. Later I found out that it is actually illegal, henceforth her not wanting to let me photograph her stall.

I also found out though, that it is only the men that eat dog, at a certain time of year for their mojo. What is it about Asian cultures and eating weird shit and saying it makes them, bigger, harder, last longer etc? And I thought I had penis envy LOL.

Zeph

#8632 - 05/12/08 09:32 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Big Slick

I must have been lucky to catch this vendor while it was the time for dog. Though I could have sworn dog was available year round. You just had to know someone. I was also lucky that ours was just "meat on stick". No cute pooch face looking up at you while you feasted on his leg. Otherwise, I do think I would have passed on that late night snack.

This has nothing to do with the thread, but you reminded me of one of the saddest sights I witnessed while stationed in Korea. Me and a small group of folks I hung out with were in a village during the day. We were exploring the markets and just hanging out. We rounded a corner on a hill and saw a man on a motorcycle, or moped as that's what they really were, taking his game to market. He had a basket stapped to the back of the moped with some chickens in it. Chained to the back of the moped was a dog. Still alive. Being drug through the streets. He was erect on all fours and his poor paws were being ground raw. There was a trail of blood and flesh going down the hill behind him. The dog was obviously in pain and distress and resisting the dragging. I was instantly struck with rage, and it was all I could do not to knock that fucker to the ground and beat him down. It was the culture after all, and I would have been in the wrong to interfere. I remember being bummed out for the rest of the day, and that memory is one I still carry with me from that stay. I will say, I ate the dog sticks prior to seeing that, and wouldn't have eaten them at the time had I seen that before.

#8659 - 05/14/08 06:00 AM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: fakepropht]
-iblis- Offline
pledge

Sadly,
I can only bring dry cat food and eel
to the parade of stomach stars...

There used to be a show called "Fear Factor" a few years ago on television...
I'm not sure if its still on
because i don't watch the box anymore...

But to the point-
They always had contestants eat the most unusual stuff.
(which was usually just boiled to kill any parasites)

examples would be...
Deer Penis, Cow Brains, Live Amazon Spiders.

But the real kicker
was most of the time
these fools would often have to eat their own puke
or just run out of time mid-chew and get disqualified.

#8711 - 05/16/08 12:24 AM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: -iblis-]
PigFeeder Offline

Loc: Near Montreal, QC
I remember that show! I used to laugh hysterically at the things they would be made to eat. My favorite was a mixture of live maggots, cow testicles, and some other odd pasty substance [which I can only begin to guess].

Personally I used to go around eating spiders when I was a kid. I loved the way they tingled on the way down. I also used to take chunks out of the soap bar, I thought it tasted good in a weird way. My mother never threatened me with soap for swearing after I told her "Okay I love soap!".

A couple years back I went on a cruise with some friends of mine to the Bahamas. Apparently this was a luxery cruise and a variety of foods were available. Well weren't come of the oddest foreign "Delicacies" available.. My friends and I all dared each other to try the pickled eel and the boiled insides of a red snapper in some sort of salad? I'll have to admit the pickled eel wasn't so bad, kind of a tangy flavour to it, but quite chewy. The red snapper I found quite bitter and didn't find it tasteful at all. Of course knowing it was the insides of something definetly DID NOT help.

The things we try.

~~Snow~~.

#8726 - 05/16/08 03:57 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: PigFeeder]
Amina Offline

Loc: Denmark
In different parts of Europe you find different kinds of rotten or bad food. I think this is worse then different kinds of meat. Like Italian cheese with maggots in it (they are supposed to be there) or rotten fish, birds or eggs. As a kid I went to Sweden in the summer when they had this strange fish "ritual" focused on something called a "surstroemning". This is made by canning a whole raw fish, waiting a few month, and then eating it when the fish is so rotten so the can is getting swollen. When the can is opened you have to do it under water to keep it from exploiting on you, and you have to eat the fish outside. The smell is so bad that dogs run away when they smell it. I was only a kid then so I didn't taste it. I don't know if Sweden export the stuff - I guess it would be viewed as biological terrorism if they tried...

- Amina

#8731 - 05/16/08 09:47 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: Amina]
Big Slick

Isn't this the same area that eats rotten shark? I forget what it is called and the country. I remember seeing it on tv twice, and both men could not stomach it or make it past the smell. Though that rotten fish in a can sounds like the most vile dish known to mankind. Burger King and beer, please.

#8732 - 05/16/08 09:59 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: fakepropht]
Bacchae Offline
Satan's White Trash Neighbor

Loc: los angeles
my ol lady is icelandic and it's called Hakarl... shark thats been buried for 8 weeks, then hung up and dried for another couple months, cut and rolled into tubes, and eaten very quickly, usually with a shot of rotgut liquor.
she says it smells like strong ammonia, and claims to enjoy it. i dont believe her. it made anthony bourdain puke.

#8733 - 05/16/08 10:06 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: Bacchae]
Big Slick

Yes, thank you. Bourdain was one of the men I referred to. Thankfully we don't have smellovision for that episode.

#8771 - 05/17/08 06:09 PM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: Amina]
Meq Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: Amina
In different parts of Europe you find different kinds of rotten or bad food... Like Italian cheese with maggots in it (they are supposed to be there)

This 'worm cheese' (intentionally left with flies to lay their eggs in it) is apparently a delicacy in Sardinia, although I heard it is now illegal to produce due to local health and safety laws.
Not that it stops them though!

What turned my stomach most is not so much the fact that it contains live maggots.
It's the fact that, before it even makes it to your plate, every last morsel of the cheese has already been eaten, partly digested, excreted out, and eaten again... several times too.

Still, many Sardinians love the soft creamy texture this produces!

#8889 - 05/22/08 06:55 AM Re: Weirdest Things You Have Eaten [Re: Meq]
morgoth Offline
stranger

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
Having spent quite a number of years in the Navy travelling through S.E.Asia, I've eaten my fair share of interesting delicacies.Monkey, Rat, Cat, Dog, Donkey/Horse.

Back in Australia I've also eaten the usual Kangaroo, Ringed tail Possum, Snake, Lizard, Camel, Crocodile etc. There are some things I will draw the line at though, namely Bugs and Grubs.

The cheese Amina refers to is also big in the mountain regions of Spain.

Page 1 of 8 12345>Last »

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, Woland, Asmedious, Fist, Diavolo, TV is God 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.022 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.