Page 12 of 13 « First<910111213>
Topic Options
#22055 - 03/15/09 07:13 PM Re: Laveyan Satanism or Traditional Satanism [Re: Jake999]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
The only "tradition" Satanism has is purely literary and philosophical (writers like Milton, Shelly, Byron, Blake, Baudelaire, DeSade, Lovecraft, etc that expressed certain Left-Hand ideas or admiration for Satan or satanic qualities) but NOT any kind of "religious tradition" (ie, there was no underground witch-cult giving praises to the devil and performing black masses, or ancient cults worshiping Satan in the guise of a quasi-pagan god). Ever. Period.

Edited by The Zebu (03/15/09 07:16 PM)

#22058 - 03/15/09 09:04 PM Re: Laveyan Satanism or Traditional Satanism [Re: The Zebu]
Rasha Offline
stranger

In response to the original question in this thread:

You are not going to find what you believe in a book. You will find it deep within yourself after many years of research, trial and error and self reflection. Although knowledge is extremely important, detrimental and crucial, you will come to find deeper meaning in yourself, in your own mind. Einstein said it best "knowledge is limited, imagination circles the world."

Don't take anyones word for it. If you are your own God, chances are you will find the real answers from within yourself. Rather then reading tons and tons of "Satanic material" you might find it more useful to study psychology to better understand yourself, others, and your environment. This will help you better determine which forms of Satanism will be best for you.

#22063 - 03/15/09 11:21 PM Re: Laveyan Satanism or Traditional Satanism [Re: Rasha]
paolo sette Offline

Loc: IL, USA
I've studied clinical psychology, and it's completely contrary to the Satanic way of life. I've found that through my studies, and practice; it does not lead to a better understanding of life through rationalizations and intellectualizations. When I became strongly aware of this fact, I became very angry. I threw out all the books, periodicals, and papers I had. Psychology does not help improve life or anything associated with it...it finds problems in it's own perspective. I'm knowledgeable about intrapsychic dynamics, but when the real world operates differently, it makes it useless and a waste of time.

And what does, "...everyone is their own god," mean? More specifically, what does 'god' mean to you? I have completely renounced any belief, hope, or faith in god. Just the word makes me mad. Satan is the end all, be all. Satan reigns supreme. Satan is everything, and anything. REGE SATANAS!

#22070 - 03/16/09 04:07 AM Re: Laveyan Satanism or Traditional Satanism [Re: paolo sette]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

Paolo, by reading your little response I can only conclude you are a failure of life.
Ofcourse doesn't life work as it is written in books. What else did you suspect? Does it mean your books are useless? --> No they aren't. Every scripture or essay contains something which you can use. Psycholgy, as you mentioned, CAN improve your life. You have the knowledge at hands, DO SOMETHING WITH IT! Don't you sit there like a piece of crap behind your computer, get out for a change and live your life. You'll soon notice the acquired knowledge comes in handy when confronted in certain situations. You lack experience. Knowledge without experience is just knowledge and makes you vurnable for mistakes and idiotism (on your own behalf).

Quote:
And what does, "...everyone is their own god," mean?

If you don't know what it means, it indicates you aren't on the right place or lack intellectual capability. It means nothing more then you being in controle of your own life.

Edited by Dimitri (03/16/09 04:08 AM)

#49511 - 02/24/11 07:21 AM Re: Laveyan Satanism or Traditional Satanism [Re: Sinistar]
Hegesias Offline

Lavey Satanism may put one in his element with all the stimulus most gravitating to him, or land one in a comfort zone only to some abusers though,

The Order of Nine Angles takes you out of all that with exposure to danger and anarchism beyond the constructs of societal order because the most gravitating stimulus for sinister individuals is...

You don't need to be a polarised sinister type for LaVey Satanism and it certainly does not mean you are mundane if you work by it's aggressively intelligent Atheist philosophy with a dark perception of things.

#50295 - 03/01/11 09:29 PM Re: Laveyan Satanism or Traditional Satanism [Re: Japster]
rites Offline
stranger

I've only recently decided to fully embrace Satanism as my religion and am not interested in hyphenating it. If by 'Traditional' you mean a belief that Satan is an intelligent entity I would have to say I am open to the idea but still agnostic. A few years ago I bought 'The Satanic Bible' along with a book called 'Shit Magnet' by Jim Goad, a CoS member if I'm correct, both were on sale and after I purchased them my change came to $6.66. Well at first I laughed it off as a funny coincidence, and I'm not saying it wasn't, but still it often makes me wonder if this was a 'sign' ... I don't know really. I'm also not entirely convinced that Lavey did not believe in a more literal Satan. I'm pretty sure, from his writings, he didn't believe in the Christian Devil though. Anyways, I use the Satanic Bible as my main guide to understanding Satanism. Also, if anyone has some thoughts about this odd coincidence I'd love to read them. Thanks in advance.
#50316 - 03/02/11 07:02 AM Re: Laveyan Satanism or Traditional Satanism [Re: rites]
nferno6 Offline
stranger

Loc: Sweden
Rites.

You call Satanism a religion. In my eyes that is a fail. A GIANT fail. I'm not saying it doesn't have a lot of followers, but I doubt any of them would like you calling what they are doing religious. I know I don't.

The 666 thing. In the case of it being a mathematical coincidence, good one.(meaning if the cost and what you paid subtracted to the result in question)
But that number stays a made up bullshit story coming from the bible, and I'm fairly sure that if Lavey used it it was only to piss of some christians, call it adding a bit of humor to a great philosophy. I just read through the book again (scrolled really) and all I could find on that number twas the bit about the black mass in 1666.
I'm fairly sure you may put that number up as christian mass paranoia.

I do like the number 6, don't get me wrong, and its even in my avatar. But only because I could not get Inferno@yahoo.com in 1998. (fucking internet junkies). It has stuck ever since.

#50334 - 03/02/11 02:17 PM Re: Laveyan Satanism or Traditional Satanism [Re: rites]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Quote:
Well at first I laughed it off as a funny coincidence, and I'm not saying it wasn't, but still it often makes me wonder if this was a 'sign'

Coincidence. Don't read into it.

A few years ago I stopped at a store and bought a pack of smokes, a lighter and a soda. The total came out to $6.65 and I noticed there was a jar of candy that was selling for a penny each so I tossed a tootsie-roll on the counter thus bumping the total up to $6.66. I could tell this made the cashier very uncomfortable as she asked another cashier to finish the transaction. Every time I went to the store after that I always bought a pack of smokes, a lighter, a soda and tootsie roll.

Now that a few years as passed and the price of everything is gone up it is doubtful that same combination of items would still end up costing $6.66.

The point: incidents like that can be good for a laugh but don't take them seriously.

#50336 - 03/02/11 02:58 PM Re: Laveyan Satanism or Traditional Satanism [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

The thing is; out of the continuous stream of numbers and words that you encounter daily, specific ones jump out, not because they have some special significance but because one has a mindset easily spotting them. A Crowleyan might be "wake up" when the bill said $4.18.

I got 666 in my birth date, but if it was 378 would it feel similar? Still, it doesn't make me wonder if I ain't the Antichrist.

D.

#50337 - 03/02/11 03:01 PM Re: Laveyan Satanism or Traditional Satanism [Re: Diavolo]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Yep the human mind is trained to recognize patterns, it's why we can see familiar shapes in clouds, shadows etc. And we notice that which is significant to us. Notice how an Atheist has never claimed to see the Virgin Mary on a piece of toast?

#50340 - 03/02/11 03:49 PM Re: Laveyan Satanism or Traditional Satanism [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
SkaffenAmtiskaw Moderator Offline
veteran member

I can't be bothered to find the link for it on YouTube now, but there's a video there of an Atheist finding a message in a piece of fruit or slice of toast, saying "God doesn't exist" or something to that effect. It was a comedy gag, of course, but it was still pretty funny. My question would be; would that constitute proof of God's non-existence, or would the evidence once again be skewed or interpreted otherwise? Would it have made people turn to a pantheistic prankster god?

Either way, it would make people of the gullible sort believe MORE, not less. Looking for correspondence and events linkable only to some extranatural entity ("Coincidence? I don't think so!") is a sure proof you've sold your critical faculties on the cheap in exchange for a fool's hope of pie in an imagined sky.

That being said, many magical practices employ the exploitation of this plausibility factor to achieve real and lasting change within the practitioner, but only as an outer form. Once you leave the ritual chamber, those thoughts are put aside, along with the real, physical Devil with horns, pitchfork and a tail.

#50341 - 03/02/11 03:52 PM Re: Laveyan Satanism or Traditional Satanism [Re: Japster]
rites Offline
stranger

Yes, coincidence is the only rational explanation. I considered the possibility of my subconscious mind setting this up, but that seems a little far-fetched. And I don't want to use a 'supernatural' explanation because I'm trying to get away from that sort of thinking. As to the poster who said Satanism is not a religion I understand where you are coming from. I see Satanism as being an anti-spiritual religion or maybe even Atheism with the trappings of religion. But probably more of a philosophy. Religion is a flexible word, in my opinion. Some don't like the term and I can see why. Not worth arguing about it though, it's just semantics.
#50362 - 03/02/11 08:57 PM Re: Laveyan Satanism or Traditional Satanism [Re: rites]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

Take some time to read The Satanic Rituals by Anton LaVey in the media room if you haven't done already.

666 has been well and truly replaced by the power of the 9.

And yes, I see Satanism as a religion.

#50580 - 03/08/11 12:27 AM Re: Laveyan Satanism or Traditional Satanism [Re: ]
Michael A.Aquino Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: MatthewJ1
666 has been well and truly replaced by the power of the 9.

Indeed 666 is "the power of the 9":

6+6+6=18, 1+8=9
6x6x6=216, 2+1+6=9
18+216=234, 2+3+4=9
... and so on.

#50582 - 03/08/11 01:14 AM Re: Laveyan Satanism or Traditional Satanism [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
MatthewJ1
Unregistered

Yes, I remember a thread here from some time ago Dr. where the 666 and the 9 were discussed. I think Jake may have also been involved in that one.

Dr. I remember you saying just how serious you and Dr. LaVey were about the 9 and the way other number combination could add up to 9. And then there is that incredible last section of The Satanic Rituals.

I am not sure if this is a good question or an obvious one: was there an attempt to develop a black magical practice based on the certainty of mathematics? Probably a LBM practice?

I mean was/is it possible to determine or control behaviour or other outcomes with total mathematical certainty?

I admit it: I am a sucker for the early C/S and T/S and sometimes tend to read too much into what you and Dr. LaVey had to say, but still...

Edited by MatthewJ1 (03/08/11 01:17 AM)
Edit Reason: Lack of quality

Page 12 of 13 « First<910111213>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.03 seconds of which 0.004 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.