Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#8642 - 05/13/08 05:26 PM Coca-Cola & the Herd Mentality
Phillip Offline
stranger

Recent studies have shown that people are more easily persuaded and more likely to change their stances on important issues such as euthanasia when under the influence of caffiene equivalent to a cup of coffee.

If one was interested in controlling the minds of a populace, caffiene would be a powerful chemical weapon, it seems.

How many people do you know that don't do caffiene? Me neither.

#8643 - 05/13/08 05:38 PM Re: Coca-Cola & the Herd Mentality [Re: Phillip]
Octavius Offline

Loc: Left the party
Care to cite your source? Care to elaborate on what this has to do with anything? Are you planning an insurrection? Or are you trying to take off all of our proverbial blinders to see that Neville Isdell and Juan Valdez are clandestinely trying to turn us into their puppets for a nationwide policy campaign on euthanasia?

Honestly, if you're going to post something in the News Forum, please have the courtesy to cite your source and dig a bit deeper into the topic if you expect any kind of discussion.

#8646 - 05/13/08 07:33 PM Re: Coca-Cola & the Herd Mentality [Re: Octavius]
Phillip Offline
stranger

Queensland University of Technology study.

I'm not big on in-depth analysis, really. I just found it intriguing.

Like I said, just damn near everybody uses caffeine, in one form or another. Another point that I thought was interesting, reading the abstract of the study itself, was that the effect only worked in one direction. That is, under the influence of caffeine, people were more likely to change their stance to what they perceived as the "majority opinion", also known as the herd. There was no increased incidence of people changing stances to what they perceived to be the minority opinion. At least, that was how I read it. Not being very well educated, I could have easily misinterpreted what I was reading.

For those of you whose Google is broken:

Martin, P.Y., Hamilton, V.E., McKimmie, B.M., Terry, D.J., & Martin, R. (2006). Effects of caffeine on persuasion and attitude change: The role of secondary tasks in manipulating systematic message processing, European Journal of Social Psychology, 36.

http://news.bio-medicine.org/medicine-news-3/Coffee-makes-us-more-likely-to-say-yes-4454-1/

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=62387

#8650 - 05/13/08 10:04 PM Re: Coca-Cola & the Herd Mentality [Re: Phillip]
lillith Offline
stranger

Loc: brisbane
I would have to say that I absolutely dont agree with that. Are we talking caffienne, or sugar. I dont know how credible that study would be either, I live down the road from that Tafe and no-one asked me. Did they just ask students, because then the findings would be understandable. Most coffee addicts I know are argumentative and not agreeable at all. And I also know people who wouldnt touch the stuff if they were paid.
Ave!!

#8654 - 05/13/08 10:56 PM The poisons within us... Coca Cola and caffeine? [Re: Phillip]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut
Fluoride is much worse...

"Let's begin at the beginning: The first occurrence of fluoridated drinking water on Earth was found in Germany's Nazi prison camps. The Gestapo had little concern about fluoride's supposed effect on children's teeth; their alleged reason for mass-medicating water with sodium fluoride was to sterilize humans and force the people in their concentration camps into calm submission. (Ref. book: "The Crime and Punishment of I.G. Farben" by Joseph Borkin.)"

Full Article Here

"Neurotoxic and Lowers IQ

In 1995, neurotoxicologist and former Director of toxicology at Forsyth Dental Center in Boston, Dr. Phyllis Mullenix published research showing that fluoride built up in the brains of animals when exposed to moderate levels. Damage to the brain occured and the behavior patterns of the animals was adversely effected. Offspring of pregnant animals receiving relatively low doses of fluoride showed permanent effects to the brain which were seen as hyperactivity (ADD-like symptoms). Young animals and adult animals given fluoride experienced the opposite effect -- hypoactivity or sluggishness. The toxic effects of fluoride on the central nervous system was subsequently confirmed by previously-classified government research. Two new epidemiological studies which tend to confirm fluoride's neurotoxic effects on the brain have shown that children exposed to higher levels of fluoride had lower IQs."

Full Article Here

Enjoy

~T~

#8775 - 05/17/08 07:48 PM Re: The poisons within us... Coca Cola and caffeine? [Re: ta2zz]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
I use a lot of stimulants, not the least of which is caffeine. I am pretty well as strong minded a person as you are likely to find. I really couldn't give a fuck what the herd thinks.

I also drink a lot of water because I work out a lot and I spend a lot of time exposed to heat and cold that tends to dehydrate you. I am pretty sure fluoride has had no impact on my IQ. This is not to say that I don't have some sort of brain damage, but it didn't come water!

Refined sugar and bleached flour have much more widely know health effects yet there never seems to be any panic over these food additives.

#8877 - 05/21/08 06:28 PM Re: The poisons within us... Coca Cola and caffeine? [Re: Fist]
Phillip Offline
stranger

Octavius? Did you have any thoughts on the subject, now that I've cited my sources for you?

#8881 - 05/21/08 10:40 PM Re: The poisons within us... Coca Cola and caffein [Re: Phillip]
Octavius Offline

Loc: Left the party
No, I just expect more of people when they post topics. Thanks for making the effort.

#8898 - 05/22/08 05:02 PM Re: The poisons within us... Coca Cola and caffein [Re: Octavius]
Phillip Offline
stranger

Why do you need me to cite my sources? Do your own research.

Why do you need my in-depth analysis? Think for yourself.

I was sharing a news item that I found thought-provoking and commenting on it briefly, thinking perhaps others might be interested as well. If you're not, move along. But don't come at me with your snide, smart-ass fucking bullshit just 'cause you got nothing to say. I'm not here to live up to your fucking "expectations", dude.

#8901 - 05/22/08 05:29 PM Re: The poisons within us... Coca Cola and caffein [Re: Fist]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Originally Posted By: Fist
Refined sugar and bleached flour have much more widely know health effects yet there never seems to be any panic over these food additives.

I will have to research those two items but myself I use very little of either… Sodium Fluoride aka rat poison has well documented results in killing rats as well as being a waste product… One must wonder about the (beneficial) germs being added to cold cuts as well…

My point was the earth is poisoned if you need proof look outside your door at the cars going by… Look at the exhaust of a city bus as it chugs along the street… Look at the dirt on the next tollbooth you cross and stare in amazement at the buildup of brake dust… Living near one of the nations top six dirtiest power plants I could show you a smokestack stained black from the smoke it produces… Look in the news at the facts about bottled water in plastic… Everyone wonders why the old-timers live longer and healthier lives perhaps it is because a converted waste product (plastic) was not used to store their food and drink… Caffeine is the least of our worries…

No scare here just grim reality and facts…

~T~

#8904 - 05/22/08 06:14 PM Re: The poisons within us... Coca Cola and caffein [Re: ta2zz]
Phillip Offline
stranger

I wasn't trying to raise a caffeine panic. I know there are lots of substances out there with potential negative effects on the human body and mind, far worse than any threat coffee may pose.

The thing that kinda tripped me out about this study, though, was the peculiar effect of seeming to cause people to actually change core beliefs--and only in one direction. It's one thing to say "Drinking rat poison makes you dumb", but the effects of caffeine are kinda sneaky-like.

We heard from a couple "hard-headed" caffeine junkies earlier in the thread. I'm sure even those people have changed their minds about SOMETHING somewhere along the line. But at the time, those changes of opinion almost certainly seemed to them to be brought about by hearing a convincing argument or new evidence or something of the sort--and in all likelihood, they WERE. However, it seems like that argument or evidence could have--unbeknownst to them--gotten a helping hand from a Mountain Dew or three.

Again, not trying to "raise a panic" or even say "stop drinking caffeine", just sharing something I thought was kinda interesting.

#8926 - 05/23/08 07:19 AM Re: Coca-Cola & the Herd Mentality [Re: Phillip]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
The sum of my caffine intake during the day is one home-brewed cup of espresso, with a teaspoon of sugar. No sodas, only iced teas on occasion, mainly due to kidney and urinary tract infections that I get frequently.

One article said "moderate", which I'm guessing is a cup of coffee, and a few sodas throughout the day? I wish it had been defined better. It doesn't seem as if this study took into account a person's natural willingness to contribute and keep the peace in the workplace, which for some may be necessary to keep their jobs and therefore a matter of survival. True, that's a herd instinct, but if we as a species all worked independently, we'd never get anything done. It seems a little premature to have released the findings of this research before they took all factors into account.

Edited by Nemesis (05/23/08 10:47 PM)

#8932 - 05/23/08 10:16 AM Re: Coca-Cola & the Herd Mentality [Re: Nemesis]
Phillip Offline
stranger

If I remember properly, the study used a quantity of of caffeine equivalent to one or maybe two cups of coffee.

They tested how many people would change their minds with and without caffeine. People's natural willingness to contribute would have been the same in both tests.

#8954 - 05/23/08 10:49 PM Re: Coca-Cola & the Herd Mentality [Re: Phillip]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Damn, now I want to conduct an experiment on myself....

#8975 - 05/24/08 12:29 PM Re: Coca-Cola & the Herd Mentality [Re: Nemesis]
PigFeeder Offline

Loc: Near Montreal, QC
Sounds like it could be interesting. I'll help. Drink 5 cups of coffee and come on here. We'el all order you around. Heh heh.. Could be interesting though. I mean if it's true? If I would like someone I know to be more agreeable I make them a cup of coffee or give them a few pepsi's. Doesn't sound liek a bad idea. Or maybe just to make my day smoother chug down a few soft drinks. It's always cool to know these things so thanks for sharing.

~Snow~.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.