Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#8963 - 05/24/08 03:51 AM Re: Fear Factors for Satanists [Re: Isaak w shipley]
lillith Offline
stranger

Loc: brisbane
My biggest daily fear is my in-laws. My born again father in law likes to drop around unannounced. Theres only so much debate and heated argument before you realise that someone really is delusional and ignorant. Actually going to their house for dinner, on their turf, where it is expected that I will shut my mouth and not argue anything stupid he might say is the scariest. I cant handle ignorance. The fact they have two small children under 5 that are going to grow up like that is criminal.

And dogs. Man those teeth and gums! I got bitten when I was about 10 and have never forgotten it, and when I see a dog on the street, I am sure he knows this...

#8974 - 05/24/08 12:24 PM Re: Fear Factors for Satanists [Re: lillith]
PigFeeder Offline

Loc: Near Montreal, QC
In-Laws can be frightening all right. Mine sure can be.

When I was young I was bitten by a dog in the eye. Thankfully no scar is left but I must say my love for animals overcame my fear of pain from them. I just respect them and hope they will respect me the same. And I know that if they do something that is uncanny, that it is in there nature to do what THEY think is right to do. If they feel danger or mal-intention they lash out. As humans do but sometimes less-intelligently. The question is, which one does it less-intelligently..

I amust also admit I have a small fear of heights. I'm okay with them, as longas I am secure. But if I'm top of the tallest building in Montreal and the only thing stopping me is this rickety old fence type thing well... There is the small (HUGE) chance of falling down going through my head. At least the fall could be exciting, I'll die happy. \:\) Heh heh..

~Snow~.

#9031 - 05/25/08 11:47 PM Re: Fear Factors for Satanists [Re: ZephyrGirl]
97and107 Offline

Loc: New Mexico
I'm still scared of centipedes. Spiders used to scare me until I started researching them and now I can pick them up and hold them. I have a superstition that it's bad luck to murder a spider.

It may be absurd but there it is.

I'm also scared of this person I love a lot, but there's no real reason for it, other than, I think he knows the truth about me and I can't hide from him. Perhaps people who can really see who I am scare me. I mean I can try to explain who I am all I want but words can't take you as far as explaining your true self, that has to be seen. So he's the only one I notice really knows me extremely well. And he's the only person I'm afraid of.

So perhaps exposure, I guess....I like who I am I just think I'm a bit vain and this is underscored in extreme ways.

I used to be afraid of being seen naked so I worked through that...it's all related.

#9370 - 06/03/08 07:31 PM Re: Fear Factors for Satanists [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Toxoplasma Offline
lurker

I was once plagued by unadulterated mortal terror of jellyfish and other icky deep sea life-forms. I'm glad I didn't read Lovecraft then, I can tell you that.
It just wore off by itself as I grew up. No affirming story of overcoming fears, just... diminuition.
Heights still get me. After all these years of martial arts, I am now fairly unafraid of the landing and hurting part,(ahh, it's just pain) but the falling bit always freaks me. Go figure.
What interests me is that fear tends to arrest your actions (example: attempting a dive roll, a jumping flip) on a very, very deep, hard-wired, sort of reptile brain level.
If fear is so very deep down, how DO people, sometimes, force their way through it?
Maybe we have deep- (aversion to open flames) and shallow- (homosexuals, cholesterol, dirty fingernails) brain fears? Any lurking psychologists and brain experts?

Tonight's contestants must address their fear of male homosexual anal-genital intercourse. People. That'd be great television.

#9415 - 06/06/08 12:26 PM Re: Fear Factors for Satanists [Re: ZephyrGirl]
The Antagonist Offline
stranger

Loc: Los Angeles
My brother was shot to death outside our house 8 years ago. So, when I hear a loud noise of anything kind, I get startled and my heart pounds faster out of fear.

It has become a reflex for me. I get startled by any loud bang. For example, unexpected dog barking, fireworks, trucks, racing motorcycles, and just recently, car crashes.

My family used to look outside at the fireworks on July 4th, but when my brother past away on June 30, and July 4th came around, you can just imagine what those fireworks reminded me of.

Independence Day only brings bad memories now.

#9439 - 06/08/08 05:00 PM Re: Fear Factors for Satanists [Re: The Antagonist]
PigFeeder Offline

Loc: Near Montreal, QC
Another weird fear of mine: I'm afraid of swimming in lakes or ocean type places. I can overcome my fear and swim for a short period, but I'm always afraid of what I cannot see below me. I'm always afraid something will grab me and pull me down or bite me, and I will be useless to defend myself. I guess it's a bit of a fear of being helpless. But I guess a lot of people are afraid of what they cannot see. It's so.. Dangerous and mysterious...

#10442 - 08/02/08 08:30 AM Re: Fear Factors for Satanists [Re: PigFeeder]
coelentrate Offline

Loc: Dundee, Scotland
I'm surprised so many satanists are scared of spiders!

I think it's human instinct, courtesy of natural selection, to get jumpy around little fuzzies that move with quick jerky or creepy motions. I think it's because a lot of that shit could kill us say, 20,000 years ago. So people with a natural fear of creepy crawlies didn't get stung by the scorpion. Like how we evolved an innate distaste for the smell of poo or rotten food.

I'm not scared of spiders but I'll get really startled if one jumps on me or if I see a mouse scurry from one hiding place to another.

#10448 - 08/02/08 07:19 PM Re: Fear Factors for Satanists [Re: coelentrate]
Madguten Offline
stranger

Loc: Denmark
I used to be scared of spiders, but now i am not really, they can still give me a little shock though.

Anyway. I live in DK, there are no dangerous spiders here at all, so i dont have to fear them.

BUT

If i was in a country with spiders that pierced the skin then it is another thing. Those spiders are horrible (to us humans anyway).

Those things are freakin hell!

(sorry, i have calmed down now, lol)

I still love them but damn, even non deadly spider bites can be sick. (dont go looking for it on youtube, you will vomit)

My point is, fear of spiders is a healthy instinct.

Hey, i DO believe this is my first post here.

EDIT:

About fears.

I was thinking yesterday how klaustrofobia (sorry for misspelling), i mean FEAR OF SMALL PLACES could both save us and be our doom in the natural world. It could save us from entering dangerous places that might cave in on us, but it could also cause our doom when we get eaten because we are afraid to crawl into a hole.

hmmm.. i guess that fear is never the best solution. Rationality may serve higher in dangerous situations.

one can not deny the instant effectiveness of our fear instincts, but (i think that) it is perhaps best to balance these things.

Edited by Madguten (08/02/08 07:34 PM)

#10449 - 08/03/08 02:34 AM Re: Fear Factors for Satanists [Re: Madguten]
coelentrate Offline

Loc: Dundee, Scotland
 Originally Posted By: Madguten
I was thinking yesterday how klaustrofobia (sorry for misspelling), i mean FEAR OF SMALL PLACES could both save us and be our doom in the natural world. It could save us from entering dangerous places that might cave in on us, but it could also cause our doom when we get eaten because we are afraid to crawl into a hole.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. Reminds me of how the instinct to scratch an itch might be counterproductive.

I've never been in this situation before, but if I were a clausterphobic running from a sabertooth cat, I think I would dive into the hole anyway. I believe we have a well develped fear hierarchy.

#10451 - 08/03/08 04:35 AM Re: Fear Factors for Satanists [Re: coelentrate]
Madguten Offline
stranger

Quote:
I've never been in this situation before, but if I were a clausterphobic running from a sabertooth cat, I think I would dive into the hole anyway. I believe we have a well develped fear hierarchy.

oh yeah, you are right about that (i think). We DO have a rather developed fear hierarchy. Things we normally would fear can quickly seem less important in the face of great danger.

#10459 - 08/03/08 03:36 PM Re: Fear Factors for Satanists [Re: Isaak w shipley]
SevenDeadlySins Offline
stranger

Loc: chicago illinois
For me fear has always equivocated to non action. I'm most fearful of when I am needed to step up or act I maybe indiffernt or hesitate. That is my biggest fear and one I don't like to test. I tend to think things through too much at the risk of taking too long to act.

#10461 - 08/03/08 04:35 PM Re: Fear Factors for Satanists [Re: SevenDeadlySins]
Madguten Offline
stranger

Quote:
For me fear has always equivocated to non action.

Good point. There is a distinct difference between the instant shock reaction, like taking up our arms when we are suddenly startled (like BOO!), and the longtime, inner fear.

The first MIGHT save, the second wont.

#11574 - 09/18/08 05:38 PM Re: Fear Factors for Satanists [Re: Madguten]
barrytheblade Offline
stranger

Loc: WA
My greatest childhood fear is so embarrassing, especially since it's so unfounded: werewolves. When I was six my father let me stay up and watch some werewolf show on USA channel and I was so scared that I started hallucinating at night. There was a stairwell right outside of my bedroom and I would see a werewolf poke its head around the corner and snarl at me. To this day, after having jumped out of airplanes, rappelled from helicopters and even going into combat, that is still the only fear I have. Sometimes when I'm walking outside in the dark toward my front door I feel the need to look behind me and run. It's so idiotic, but it really does take over your ability to think rationally. In fact, I think that the thought of being pursued by something is scarier than actually being attacked and having to face the pursuer. Stupid, but that's the way it is.

Also, hello to coelentrate. Odd seeing you in here the first time I post here.

#11591 - 09/18/08 09:38 PM Re: Fear Factors for Satanists [Re: barrytheblade]
ShadowWalker Offline
stranger

Loc: Yokosuka, Japan
I have an innate fear of open water. To this day I still get butterflies in my stomach when I am swimming in say a lake or the ocean, where I can't see the bottom. Could be from watching one too many Jaws type movies.
Barrytheblade, the thought of being pursued really is scarier than actually facing a potential attacker. I think it comes from a feeling of helplessness. Walking in the dark, and thinking something is following you, not knowing when it is going to jump out and attack. At least when you face a pursuer that you know is attacking, then it is something you percieve, that you can see.
The biggest fear is fear of the unknown; horror movies are alwas scary until the point where you see the creature.

#11599 - 09/18/08 11:03 PM Re: Fear Factors for Satanists [Re: ShadowWalker]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
I'm fine with spiders... but DOGS, those are scary.

Big, evil, child-eating monstrous dogs with razor-sharp fangs dripping with blood and saliva, tensing their powerful legs ready to pin me down on the ground and rip my chest open.

I'm usually fine with darkness, and being by myself.... but if I'm in a big house all alone at night with no lights on, I tend to get the heebie-jeebies, like there's a shoggoth lurking around or something.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.