Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#8899 - 05/22/08 05:04 PM Signature limit
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

I used to use this quote by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe as my signature...

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that”

I would like to use it again as it clearly defines my attitude... Yet for some reason on this version of the forum it is 83 or some odd amount of characters over the limit...

Can the limit be increased to say 200 characters or is it a bandwidth issue?

~T~

#8940 - 05/23/08 03:40 PM Re: Signature limit [Re: ta2zz]
The Antagonist Offline
stranger

Loc: Los Angeles
I smacked my keyboard when I found out my signature was too long and I had to delete it. (I have anger issues.) I didn't want to shorten it because all the words were important to the entire quote, so I had to settle for the measly quote I currently have.

#8971 - 05/24/08 11:53 AM Re: Signature limit [Re: The Antagonist]
PigFeeder Offline

Loc: Near Montreal, QC
I would have to agree, 200 seems to be a reasonable limit. I also had the issue of deleting and re-typing my signature several times before getting one that fit.

~Snow~.

#26574 - 07/01/09 03:11 PM Re: Signature limit [Re: ta2zz]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

I am bringing this back to everyone's attention. I myself think that there should be a very limited size available for what I can only describe as "gaming forum" signatures.

I mean seriously I'm an artist as well and in all the years here have not felt the need to put up a signature that is roughly 3"x4" on a 1024x768 monitor. I prefer to measure my online phallus here with my wit and words. Most forums that I have been on that allow the use of picture signatures usually have a 128 pixel height limitation or less. This is normally done to limit bandwidth use as well as keep the forum tidy looking.

I politely asked over a year ago if the character limit could be upped back to something a little larger like the old forum, as I did want to use my old quote. I am only again asking if there is a serious bandwidth issue with a few more characters allowed and now asking if this differs with large picture signatures?

~T~

#26597 - 07/01/09 09:08 PM Re: Signature limit [Re: ta2zz]
TornadoCreator Offline

Loc: No Fixed Address
Honestly. I'm with ta2zz here but I'd like to go a step further. I frequently access the forum from my PSP and I'm sure others use PDA's or phones to access the forum as well. This forum is about making sure we can have reasonably intelligent conversations.

I'd rather have an extra line of text in signatures and completely do away with images in signatures. It's slow enough for people on mobile devices without them, loading anything other than a GIF file will take a good 20 seconds plus, per image.

#26671 - 07/02/09 01:33 PM Re: Signature limit [Re: ta2zz]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I agree with the sentiments about über-signatures but whatever Xear decides upon it, there is this little thing in preferences:

"Do you want to view other user's signatures with their posts?"

That might solve some issues.

D.

#42611 - 08/29/10 01:18 AM Re: Signature limit [Re: Diavolo]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

“Stop talking on the telephone, stop talking on the stupid Internet. It's a waste of time.” ~Ray Bradbury

You are using 109 of the allowed 100 characters. You must shorten your signature length.

\:\(

#42612 - 08/29/10 04:06 AM Re: Signature limit [Re: ta2zz]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

LMAO! I have had the same issue several times.

#42619 - 08/29/10 02:28 PM Re: Signature limit [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a 200 character limit but I understand it might not be priority one.

So again I ask...

I will continue to ask until Rick tells me to fuck off or STFU already.

~T~

#67818 - 06/26/12 06:12 AM Re: Signature limit [Re: ta2zz]
Deep Time Offline
pledge

I'd also like to ask for a 200 character limit. Please, please, pretty please.

"All the witches had to show their respect for Satan by kissing his ass."

#67820 - 06/26/12 07:42 AM Re: Signature limit [Re: Deep Time]
Jason King Offline
Banned/Martyrdom Denied

Loc: 65?1%833Q!92A24 (It's a code)
It's a signature, not a book. It's something that has to be viewed in each and every post you submit. By everybody. Including the site memory. Fit it or forget it, that's my advice. Be short and sweet, or just hit delete.

JK

#67830 - 06/26/12 10:11 AM Re: Signature limit [Re: Jason King]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Applied correctly, there is elegance in simplicity.

#67834 - 06/26/12 10:47 AM Re: Signature limit [Re: Deep Time]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Not before your posts reach a 200 character minimum, you should think about a 200 character sig.

D.

#67901 - 06/27/12 02:36 PM Re: Signature limit [Re: Diavolo]
seekswisdom Offline

Loc: California,U.S.
I enjoy reading all of the distint signitures and maybe if enough people bitch about wanting over 200 charactors for a sig maybe Xear will change it, yet if not I feel the limit is very reasonable. Here's an idea, what happened to the discussion that I read about expanding the media room, a few month ago, and it never happened. If anything that I would complain about on here is wanting to get more media room books and video's to indulge in.
#67902 - 06/27/12 02:48 PM Re: Signature limit [Re: seekswisdom]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I prefer the sig limit as it is. Give them one finger and the next time you click a thread you think you're in Las Vegas.

Expanding the video section beyond what it is now is futile since most videos linked are constantly disappearing so in the end you're stuck with 90% dead links or you have to assign someone doing nothing but checking and updating the links.

D.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, TV is God, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.025 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.