Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#9091 - 05/27/08 07:07 AM Letting Victims Track Their Tormentors
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Full story here.

For a long time, Christine Sharpless found it hard to sleep and almost impossible to relax. An ex-boyfriend, in jail for abusing her, had assaulted her after being sent out on work release with no notice to her. Every strange creak in the night frightened her. Then she won some relief. At least once a week, she would log onto her computer to make sure her abusive partner was still in jail. And she knew that should he be released or even escape, she'd get an automatic phone call within minutes, alerting her that he was out on the street.

"I think it makes victims feel and witnesses feel that they have some knowledge and don't have to go through a third party or wait for someone to call them up" to get information on inmates, says Philadelphia District Attorney Lynn Abraham. "It's like a failsafe," says Bob Eskind, spokesman for the Philadelphia Prison System, which houses 9,200 inmates and processes 100 or more in and out every day. "It's certainly going to be faster. It's totally anonymous and free. It will give people information they need when they need it."

At first glance, this is a wonderful idea, but would this encourage neurotic behavior in the victim? Constantly checking in to see where their attacker is would delay the healing process, I think.

Your thoughts?

#9192 - 05/29/08 10:59 AM Re: Letting Victims Track Their Tormentors [Re: Nemesis]
MaggotFaceMoe Offline

Loc: Finland
Perhaps so, but one might in some cases be quite neurotic about the whereabouts of the attacker if they wouldn't know. Must be stressfull living in constant fear of not knowing what's around the bend.

Also what comes to mind is that being informed of the release of the attacker gives you time to gather a lynch mob \:\)

#9209 - 05/29/08 08:26 PM Re: Letting Victims Track Their Tormentors [Re: MaggotFaceMoe]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
It could be a useful tool, but I really don't think it will offer much. Other than a head's up to the victim to beat feet out of there. A restraining order does nothing. It's up to the person being served the order to obey it. If they don't, it is just another tool the police have to detain them. But how many stories have we read, seen, or been a party of, where the restraining order meant very little and something far worse resulted than just lurking within the prohibited distance? Such as the victim being killed, burned, held hostage, etc. Unless the victim in this case has an emergency exit plan, I think this would only serve to put more stress and fear on them. Now you know your attacker is out on the streets. Every creak and knock at the door would be enough to set you into a panic.

#9291 - 05/31/08 08:22 PM Re: Letting Victims Track Their Tormentors [Re: fakepropht]
Ringmaster Offline

Loc: Salem Oregon
like all things has it's ups and downs. but all in all if the victim wants to be obsessive about it why not if it somehow gives them peace of mind why the fuck not.

#9329 - 06/02/08 06:13 PM Re: Letting Victims Track Their Tormentors [Re: Nemesis]
Succubus666 Offline

Until youíve actually been in the position of fearing for your life and having to deal with the notion that some less than sane, obsessive stalker has made it his mission to not only end your life but terrorize your loved ones, I donít think anyone can judge what sort of benefit or peace of mind a system like this can offer.

Ultimately what this tells us is that the judicial system is not up to par. For the handful of people out there who have been psychologically tested and have demonstrated a pattern of behavior that proves they will stop at nothing to silence a rape victim, ex-spouse, etc., these people should either remain under constant supervision or have a tracking device embedded in them. Our laws basically state that once youíve done your time youíre free to go, until you do something that could give the authorities reason to lock you up again.

No one wants a pedophile or sociopath walking free in their neighborhood. If society still finds it too politically incorrect to exterminate these people, they should at least be monitored like lab rats. It brings to mind the question of how people like this manage to walk free, but Charles Manson has spent a lifetime in jail. Some may find him creepy, but I donít think heís ever been charged with a serious crime.

#9330 - 06/02/08 06:41 PM Re: Letting Victims Track Their Tormentors [Re: Succubus666]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Its a kinda fucked up thing. Its not available in every state, and there is no law making it manitory to add convicts to it.

Then again what about stalkers....
Uma Thumans stalker just got probation.
After all the shit he did and said about her and her kids, he gets to walk. Probation is a joke.

NO real monitoring there, he's free.
She gets to worry about her kids, and him showing up at her front door again.

Once again, until someone dies, or gets hurt no one cares about the victim of a stalker.
Same goes for an order of protection.

Morg

#9337 - 06/02/08 08:47 PM Re: Letting Victims Track Their Tormentors [Re: Ringmaster]
Big Slick

Long story short, I got into an altercation with the neighborhood piece of shit, gang member. While I down at the station being booked, fingerprinted and photographed, he was allowed to continue to walk the streets of the neighborhood. He was lurking around my apartment while I was being printed. My wife called the station livid. The cops were nice enough to let me talk with her and they assured her I would return home that night. Until I did so, they asked if she would like the police to remain in the area and hang around the apartment, which she accepted.

A few weeks later I leave my apartment to go somewhere. He was standing outside the door. He knew my gun was in police evidence. So he started taunting me. Asking me how come I didn't have my gun, what was I going to do now? Taunting me to call the police. It was very intimidating to say the least. It made for some very nervous nights and days. He later committed 2 rapes in the neighborhood. When our case came up, twice, he was a no show. Word on the street was that he fled back to across the border. That situation outside my apartment could easily have turned into something serious if I hadn't had the mind to just ignore him the best I could and leave. Knowing that no one was home at the time, so worst case he breaks in and ransacks the place. But he could have hidden in the closet or someplace and waited.......

I can feel what a victim feels knowing their attacker is out on the streets. We wondered if he would break in. We worried about our kids. We paid attention to every creak and thud. We wondered if he would randomly start shooting through the window while we were in the living room some night. He lived just across the street. Not like he had far to go. Not like he couldn't look out his window and study our routines. I think the heat that was on us may have prevented him from taking it up a notch. Every cop in the city knew we had something going on between us.

#9398 - 06/05/08 06:44 AM Re: Letting Victims Track Their Tormentors [Re: Succubus666]
Ringmaster Offline

Loc: Salem Oregon
 Originally Posted By: Tala de Sade
Until youíve actually been in the position of fearing for your life and having to deal with the notion that some less than sane, obsessive stalker has made it his mission to not only end your life but terrorize your loved ones, I donít think anyone can judge what sort of benefit or peace of mind a system like this can offer.

Ultimately what this tells us is that the judicial system is not up to par.

yes i quite agree with you on the judicial system not being up to par now adays. but has it ever been up to par? Yes there isn't anyone who can really judge what sort of benefit this system can offer but isn't it worth a try if atleast some victums get whatever it is they are wanting from this type of system?

#9448 - 06/09/08 02:46 AM Re: Letting Victims Track Their Tormentors [Re: Ringmaster]
Succubus666 Offline

Based on personal observation, I think a lot of the problems with the judicial system not working have to do with the laws that are in place not being fully enforced, and that falls on the shoulders of the police officers whose duty (not just job, but societal duty) it is to enforce them. Iíve heard so many stories about women being killed by a stalker who had actually violated numerous protection orders or probationary stipulations only to have them ignored by the police. When they should be arrested, they get off with a warning. Officers donít want to be bothered with the paperwork or taking the time to appropriately deal with something they deem trivial at the time. In the end many laws are destroyed because of lazy police officers.

It should be a crime for police officers to ignore their duties when it comes to violent or dangerous offenders. In situations that end badly, the government should stop suspending these people with pay and benefits. I can only comment so far on what I think the laws should be, or how victims should be compensated and offenders should be punished. But ultimately you need to deal with the people who should be enforcing the laws before you can worry about the law itself.

#9468 - 06/09/08 11:25 PM Re: Letting Victims Track Their Tormentors [Re: Succubus666]
Big Slick

I share your opinion. However, I still feel some judgement or "gut feeling" should be left in the hands of the officer. Have you never been the beneficiary of a warning? I have received many warnings for various traffic offenses, where I was clearly in the wrong. I know, equating a traffic offense to stalking or something worse is comparing apples to oranges. Even so, had I run into an officer that believed the letter of the law is final word, I could have gotten several tickets or ended up in jail. After all, the posted speed limit is 35 and 36 is breaking the speed limit. Sometimes there is also a breakdown in the paper process. Maybe the stalker wasn't served with the papers. Maybe he wasn't given a clear explanation of what that meant. It's called the "thin blue line". I think society as whole would suffer if there was a zero tolerance policy adopted by police officers. Sometimes you just fuck up, but don't really intend to. An officer educating you on the law you have broken and the penalties, might serve more justice than hauling you off to court to tie up the system.

#9477 - 06/10/08 06:39 AM Re: Letting Victims Track Their Tormentors [Re: fakepropht]
Rune Darksinger Offline
stranger

Loc: New Jersey
This would not be necessary for the most part if the judges and parole boards made certain that these individuals served their sentences to the fullest. Instead, you have judges sentencing child rapists to 12 days in jail and parole boards turning homocidal maniacs loose. I think over here, "Mudman", a dangerous criminal, was released after his lawyer went to a parole board member he knew would grant parole. I think we need more, but this is a nice advance in the proper direction. I am glad to see this, as a victim who knows her attacker is leaving jail can prepare for him. too often, you hear of a woman being killed because her attacker was released and she was never informed.

#9537 - 06/12/08 04:20 AM Re: Letting Victims Track Their Tormentors [Re: fakepropht]
Succubus666 Offline

I do feel strongly that the government has wasted literally hundreds of billions of dollars punishing people for minor infractions, such as being caught with a joint in your possession or going five miles over the speed limit on an otherwise empty stretch of road. That was why I specifically made the reference to violent or dangerous offenders when it comes to the police not doing their job. Perhaps I am biased to some degree as I have had numerous personal experiences, as have other members of my family, when it comes to dealing with police corruption and aspects of the law which are meant to protect people that have ended up failing.

To be clear, I was only referring to the failure of certain law enforcement officers neglecting to uphold the law in cases where an individual has proved themselves to be violent and an imminent danger to someone else in particular. There is no excuse for catching someone in breach of a restraining order when the victim fears for his or her life, and letting the offender off with a mere warning. Stalkers donít just kill ex-spouses and themselves, often they kill children and anyone else who happens to be in the vicinity at the time. These people are already deranged, and being let off with a mere warning or slap on the wrist only enforces the belief they have in their own mind that what they are doing is right or somehow justifiable.

#9595 - 06/14/08 09:12 PM Re: Letting Victims Track Their Tormentors [Re: Nemesis]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
I think more often than not this sort of program just enables the sort of sick co-dependant behavior that caused the problem in the first place.

For me personally, I can use a system like this. But, for purposes that I am sure it was not intended....

#11216 - 09/05/08 03:45 AM Re: Letting Victims Track Their Tormentors [Re: fakepropht]
napalm Offline
Banned
pledge

yeah I agree the judicial system has alot to be improved upon.while the most violent offenders are let go aaaaaaaaaaa........fo erac nekat ti redisnoc............best of wishes hope all goes well......
#11221 - 09/05/08 07:11 AM Re: Letting Victims Track Their Tormentors [Re: napalm]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
Consider what taken care of Napalm? Can you try and say what you think instead of this trying to be clever, writing backwards or whatever other garbage you write?

Seriously, you have been given alot of chances, but instead of trying to explain yourself in any clear way, you write cryptic stupid messages that no one really cares about.

Obviously it's not going to change, you are going to continue to do this until someone bans you. Looks like it's going to be sooner rather than later.

Zeph

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.