Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#93882 - 10/22/14 11:06 AM Re: What do you think terrifies more? Clowns or Satan [Re: Czereda]
Megatron Offline

Loc: fuckit, some kid cracked my co...
 Originally Posted By: Czereda
What about survival instinct? That thing that orders you to fight or run when your life is in danger?

Do you think we are that much different from other animals when facing danger?

/danger /danger

What is danger? Is it learned?

I DO appreciate the response, but seriously . . .

Oh, and I spell everything right.

#93884 - 10/22/14 11:23 AM Re: What do you think terrifies more? Clowns or Satan [Re: Megatron]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
Does it matter what you call it? You learn through experiences. Experiences teach, so on that point I agree.

I don't need to be taught to pull my hand away from a Meat Slicer, I learned how painful it can be when you damn near slice your left index-finger off with a carving knife. It didn't teach me to fear knives or sharp objects, it only taught me that there is a potential danger to inflict pain and damage to my body.

Damage can be done with blunt objects too. My right index finger looks like a toe because I hulk smashed it with a pipe when I was small playing 'Ice Sculptor'. If there was any fear taught, it was beware of your own aim.

Being ambidextrous isn't all its cracked up to be.

#102089 - 08/06/15 08:42 PM Re: What do you think terrifies more? Clowns or Satan [Re: SIN3]
prodigalsun Offline
pledge

Loc: CA, USA
Clowns can be unexpectedly unsettling to scary if they act out in aggression, paranormal phenomena or murder, being that the persona is supposed to be one of comic baffoonery and revelry. John Wayne Gacy kind of did an image horror joke in pop culture since the 1970s as the Killer Clown with scores of pop culture figures and movies of clowns enacting evil, sometimes with cruel comedy, think of the KILLER CLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE franchise movies.

Edited by prodigalsun (08/06/15 08:42 PM)

#102193 - 08/11/15 12:49 PM Re: What do you think terrifies more? Clowns or Satan [Re: prodigalsun]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

A fear of Clowns can be dated back to Ancient China, Rome, Egypt, etc. so I think it's more of a concealment issue. What's under the make-up and behind the mischief?

Fear Conditioning experiments would often include shocks using an object.

As television shifted from the 50's limited viewing content to a more creative outlet, the 80's brought plenty of films with Clowns as villains. It takes otherwise benign characters and makes them more malevolent. Plenty of kids were horrified by the clown-doll in Poltergeist, so it doesn't even have to be person in make-up, just something animated. In some regard, films like Poltergeist taught people how to fear technology or animated toys.

If it causes the subject anxiety and distress, then it qualifies as an irrational fear/phobia.

Something as silly as a prank can get media attention.

While I can agree that most irrational fears are most likely taught through conditioning, some people develop them organically. Some sort of shock to the system, then attachment to symbols present. I know someone that actually experiences anxiety and panic attacks from blue foods. While she may not remember it, I'd speculate that it was systemic of some sort of food trauma in infancy. Something like choking or getting sick from eating play-Doh.

#108905 - 09/21/16 01:55 PM Re: What do you think terrifies more? Clowns or Satan [Re: SIN3]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

So about those clown sightings in the news this year. Unlike 2014/2015 they appear to be occurring simultaneously across several states. 3 locations in VA alone and it has people freaked out and terrified.

Whatever the stunt, police are issuing warnings and prosecuting people filing false reports. It's being treated as a form of domestic terrorism.

The World Clown Association is pretty pissed off. The organization already speaks out against the horror clown, and scary clowns at Halloween. All these stunts have an effect on their ability to conduct business as professionals. Poor guys.

Clowns people. Domestic Terorristic Clowns. Ha.

The TST is on the case too but you know those clowns are doing a better job than their version of a pussified Satan.

#108914 - 09/21/16 03:42 PM Re: What do you think terrifies more? Clowns or Satan [Re: SIN3]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: SIN3
So about those clown sightings in the news this year. Unlike 2014/2015 they appear to be occurring simultaneously across several states. 3 locations in VA alone and it has people freaked out and terrified.

Well, Hillary and Donald are making a lot of campaign appearances as the election draws closer.

#108941 - 09/22/16 09:41 AM Re: What do you think terrifies more? Clowns or Satan [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

duh...dun...dun.

Do you vote?

Would you consider these horror clowns more menacing than or equivalent to Satan?

Curious minds wanna know ;\)

#108954 - 09/22/16 10:18 PM Re: What do you think terrifies more? Clowns or Satan [Re: SIN3]
Michael A.Aquino Offline
stalker

Loc: San Francisco, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: SIN3
Do you vote?

No, I am a Platonist. Plato advocated aristocracy, e.g. decisions by the wise for the benefit of all. Democracy/voting means decision by the masses regardless of individual competence and subject to many motives other than the benefit of the polis as a whole. The USA today is of course neither an aristocracy or a democracy, but an oligarchy (decisions by a few for their own benefit).

Hillary is the surviving oligarchic candidate; Trump the surviving democratic (masses) candidate. Neither has nor is interested in wisdom with regard to the polis as a whole.

Quote:
Would you consider these horror clowns more menacing than or equivalent to Satan?

I've never seen Satan as a clown, horror or otherwise. I understand clowning as satire or ridicule, stopping short of proposing correction or improvement. Inherent to Satan/Set is not just exposure of the incorrect or unacceptable, but presentation of a solution or alternative.

#108966 - 09/23/16 05:28 AM Re: What do you think terrifies more? Clowns or Satan [Re: Michael A.Aquino]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Interesting. What of the den of inequity? I don't think it's possible to benefit as a whole. No ruling body in history has ever focused simply on infrastructure, not even those that claim to be wise.

Even Plato had moral and ethical concerns. We could even thank him for the false dichotomy of good and evil.

Quote:
Inherent to Satan/Set is not just exposure of the incorrect or unacceptable, but presentation of a solution or alternative.

You don't think the Horror Clown is that alternative? It takes whimsy into the field of dread.

#109025 - 09/25/16 04:00 AM Re: What do you think terrifies more? Clowns or Satan [Re: Fnord]
Esteban Offline
stranger

I will never understand people's fear of clowns. I suppose I can understand being leery of someone with their face covered up but people dress up on Halloween and no one is afraid of masked people then.

I think clowns are funny. I swear most people that are afraid of them just say they are because it's a vogue thing to fear. Whatever it takes to join the group I suppose.

I've had people freak out and go apeshit when they found out I was an Atheist. I can't imagine the reaction id get from these same people if I started talking about Satan.

#109077 - 09/26/16 12:47 PM Re: What do you think terrifies more? Clowns or Satan [Re: Esteban]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

In the case of the recent sightings, it may be because the intention is not clear. It may be less about the costumes and more so about what these people are up to. Police have issued public safety warnings, which also implies that these actors intend to do people harm.

Most people fear violence and pain. Very few would approach it head-on.

#109675 - 10/22/16 12:44 AM Re: What do you think terrifies more? Clowns or Satan [Re: SIN3]
Esteban Offline
stranger

I could see that. But it's been proven time and again that no clowns have done anything. Interestingly enough I found this article that lists clown panics all the way back to the 80s. The thing they all have in common? Either there were no clowns to begin with or they were all benign.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016...since_1981.html

#109778 - 10/26/16 05:46 PM Re: What do you think terrifies more? Clowns or Satan [Re: Esteban]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

I don't think it requires that the clowns actually do something. Presence is enough. We don't exactly see official police reports and warnings to the public about Satan.

Some of my friends and associates fear clowns. Even when I give them shit about it, they justify the fear with something. I've challenged a few to go as a Clown for Halloween. I'll let you know how it pans out. ;\)

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 26 queries. Zlib compression disabled.