Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#943 - 10/07/07 06:09 AM Waking Life.
Veldrin Offline
pledge

Loc: Melbourne, Australia.
So watching the news just recently, I was reminded of this movie I saw, oh, so many years ago now. It struck me as one of the more philosophical movies I've had the pleasure to watch.
And while I may not agree with all the ideas and theories placed, I did enjoy hearing them.

So I was wondering if anyone here has seen it? And what thoughts you may have had on seeing it?

For myself, I found the quote

Quote:
A self-destructive man feels completely alienated, utterly alone. He's an outsider to the human community. He thinks to himself, "I must be insane."

What he fails to realize is that society has, just as he does, a vested interest in considerable losses and catastrophes. These wars, famines, floods and quakes meet well-defined needs. Man wants chaos. In fact, he's gotta have it. Depression, strife, riots, murder, all this dread.

We're irresistibly drawn to that almost orgiastic state created out of death and destruction. It's in all of us. We revel in it. Sure, the media tries to put a sad face on these things, painting them up as great human tragedies. But we all know the function of the media has never been to eliminate the evils of the world, no.

Their job is to persuade us to accept those evils and get used to living with them.

Going back to the news story I was watching, a girl tried to commit suicide in the main city where I live, and the news. Well it spun it in such a way to make it so much easier to watch.

I could have almost got out my popcorn.

The movie itself deals with abstract issues such as dreaming, free choice and astral projection. Some is a little far out there (for my taste anyway) but I found it interesting and, at least, a better watch than the latest Disney film with the talking mammals.

A link to the transcript of the movie, sorted by chapter or "story".

http://strivinglife.com/words/post/Waking-Life-Script-with-Revisions.aspx

#964 - 10/08/07 10:38 AM Re: Waking Life. [Re: Veldrin]
Meq Offline
Banned

The UK site TV-Links.co.uk has this video in 2 versions:

http://www.tv-links.co.uk/video/4/7139/11499/70273/98070
http://www.tv-links.co.uk/video/4/7139/11499/70277/98071

#971 - 10/08/07 02:31 PM Re: Waking Life. [Re: Meq]
Veldrin Offline
pledge

Thanks Paula, been looking for a video of it for a while. And unless I get it imported, it seems like I won't lay hands on it for a while.
#973 - 10/08/07 02:49 PM Re: Waking Life. [Re: Veldrin]
Cody Offline
pledge

How does this relate to your real waking life?

Me, I'm a factory worker that works the swing shift (12 hour days), 24 Hours on, a few days off then 48 on an alternating day and night schedule- overtime is either voluntary or mandatory (I choose to volunteer enough to keep my name off the "mandatory" roster.) and it gives me a nice check, we work in general 72 hours a week, and we fight for it!

Edited by Cody (10/08/07 02:56 PM)

#1013 - 10/09/07 04:57 PM Re: Waking Life. [Re: Cody]
Veldrin Offline
pledge

Cody, could you refine your question slightly?
I am at a loss to find exactly what you mean by "How does this relate to your real waking life?"

What exactly did you mean by that?

#2060 - 11/19/07 10:33 PM TVLinks.co.uk [Re: Veldrin]
Meq Offline
Banned

TV Links is now dead - see this article which explains why:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/10/20/tv_links_shut_down_for_linking_.html

The current site is full of shit.

I might get hold of Waking Life on DVD (imported?), as its philosophical content makes it a worthy object of study from my perspective...

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.02 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.