Page 1 of 90 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#9430 - 06/08/08 12:56 AM Are you a Satanist in public
dark_wind Offline
stranger

If you're reading this, you're probably a Satanist. But do you admit it? Does your family know? How about your friends? Or maybe you're the sort of person who wears a giant Pentagram on their shirt for the world to see. You could say I'm in the closet, as nobody knows of my religion. I'm wondering, how do you think people would react if I told them?
#9431 - 06/08/08 02:22 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: dark_wind]
rob_church Offline

Loc: alberta , canada
i am public with my philosophy and i do occasionally wear a shirt with a giant baphomet on it yes:) my art,my site/work,my flesh all reflect who i am, i feel no need to hide.

i cant answer that question for you as i don't know you or the people you are around. i know for me i am who i am and i fucking love me,so i would never hide in the first place..the only way your going to find out is if you do tell them.

my father a very racist drugstore cowboy,but i admire qualities in him,he will say what he thinks no matter who's company he may be in, this trait in my eyes is to be admired. now this may be a case of self serving pride to some, but i view some one who will be who they are in whatever company as a virtue.

if you can read and manipulate people the initial shock of you wearing a giant baphomet or racial slurs in my father case is overshadowed by your charm ,intelligence and ability to manipulate, so the whole i need to blend in and hide who i am to achieve my goals doesn't fly with me.

but this is just of course my views im sure others will differ on the said subject:)

#9432 - 06/08/08 05:00 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: rob_church]
Amina Offline

Loc: Denmark
I am out in the open, but I seldom get any reactions. Sometimes I have had some comments on the street right after an TV interview or something, but it have never been aggressive or nasty. All the parents and the teachers etc. in my children's school and kindergarten, and all the parents knows because of interviews and rumors, but I have only had a few very polite questions. People are too polite and/or confused about Satanism to ask, maybe because questions like "Do you worship Satan, go to orgies and eat children" don't really fit into a polite conversation. Or maybe it helps that I have always been part of the parents board and help organize school and kindergarten events etc. Anyhow, we have never had problem, and my kids has as many friends home to play as any other kids.

I guess it boils down to something like this: I'm lucky because I don't live in a bible belt redneck town. If I did that, I guess it would have been lynched long ago. That said, I also think it helps very much that I have been so open about it that most of peoples questions and worries have been answered before they have been asked, and when as question have been asked, it have always had a good answer. As second thing, and I guess this is the most important one, is that I have been keeping a very clean track. I don't look like a heavy metal freak, and Emo or a Goth. I look like a nice and normal person. I have a modest silver Pentagram on, but that is all. I also try to look like a perfect parent when ever I get the chance by offering to help organize stuff, bake cakes, driver the kids places and I often get positive remarks from other parents because of my cooking, my kids homemade and knitted clothes etc. I guess it is very hard to imagine someone to be very evil, when they knit pink sweaters and bake raspberry muffins...

- Amina

#9434 - 06/08/08 06:10 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: dark_wind]
psiren Offline
pledge

Loc: Spain
I'm neither in nor out of the closet. I don't hide my beliefs / philosophy if it comes up in conversation, although I don't often label it as Satanism unless I'm sure the other person is understanding what I'm saying. Where I live people have big mouths and a tendency to embellish stories to entertain and amuse thier buddies in the bar. For this reason I'm careful who I talk to about anything that could possibly affect me in a negative way. Oh the joys of a small town.

If I talk about my personal philosophy, no one would make the connection with Satanism unless they already know something about it. It just comes across as common sense and realistic human nature (I must add that I'm an Atheist, I don't believe in Satan as a deity, external force or anything outside the person. To me it's a metaphor that sums up my personal way of living and thinking. I also don't do any rituals or believe in magic beyond the loose sense of using psychology, manipulation etc. to affect my own life).

Most of my fiends and family know, they have no problem with my views at all but some dislike the term 'Satanist' for obvious reasons. I haven't come right and and announced 'Hey, I'm a Satanist' to them, there's no reason to, but we do discuss things of a religious / anti-religous nature quite a lot and it's obvious to anyone paying attention where my views fall.

I'm not obvious about it in public. I wear a small silver Pentagram which attracts no attention whatsoever. I look 'normal', I'm known as a quiet but friendly girl to people in the town which is fine by me. Not many people here know me well as I haven't lived here long and I'm not a particularly social person. I think I'll keep it that way, people like me as the quiet friendly girl and it suits me. It would be silly to throw anything potentially detrimental into the mix. I have my family's business to consider as well as myself.

As for how people would react to you, no one can answer that but I'd suggest not just spontaneously 'coming out'. Ask yourself if it's of any benefit to you for people to know, if it is then I'd suggest bringing it up in a discussion about Satanism rather than an announcement of sorts. Gauge the reactions of them, see if they understand what you mean before labelling yourself to them. It came up with my family in a chat about what books we were reading. I told them about the Satanic Bible and it went from there. If they'd not understood and got in a shit-fit about it, hey, I'm only reading it! Sounds a pussy way about things I know but you have to take care of yourself first and foremost.

#9436 - 06/08/08 11:28 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: dark_wind]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

This should be in Satanism 101…

Originally Posted By: dark_wind
If you're reading this, you're probably a Satanist.

Never assume anything…

But do you admit it? Does your family know? How about your friends?

If questioned I usually admit it… Most of my family and friends know…

Or maybe you're the sort of person who wears a giant pentagram on their shirt for the world to see.

Would the symbol for brimstone being tattooed in my left palm count?

You could say I'm in the closet, as nobody knows of my religion.

Being in the closet has worked for many gay people, there is a lesson there…

I'm wondering, how do you think people would react if I told them?

Seriously how do you think most people will act?

You are young, your question has been asked many times before… The simple answer is if it helps you do it, if it hurts you do not… At 15 years old I myself think you have nothing to benefit by stating you are Satanist… Do you?

~T~

#9437 - 06/08/08 12:25 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: ta2zz]
dark_wind Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: ta2zz

At 15 years old I myself think you have nothing to benefit by stating you are Satanist… Do you?

Not really. The only benefit I would get is something akin to shock value, which is ultimately not worth the trouble. Especially if I were to tell my family, as they would all react negatively, with the exception of my father.

Originally Posted By: psiren

Ask yourself if it's of any benefit to you for people to know, if it is then I'd suggest bringing it up in a discussion about Satanism rather than an announcement of sorts. Gauge the reactions of them, see if they understand what you mean before labelling yourself to them.

I like that advice. If I ever decide to tell people, that would definitely be the way I'd do it.

#9445 - 06/09/08 01:42 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: dark_wind]
The Fat One Offline
stranger

Loc: Missouri, USA
I have only told a few people myself. I have never introduced myself and immediately said btw I am a Satanist. Most of the people that know have figured out "on their own" with the few hints dropped here and there. Living in the midwest, most people here arent comfortable with a Satanist "living amongst them." I wear a ring with a Pentagram but it seldom is noticed and most often misunderstood. Much like some have said above, my philosophies are not a secret I just dont out-right lable them as Satanist views.

As far as my family, my wife knows but is not terribly accepting of it. My folks have no idea, or at least dont let on that they do. My mother and father both are very active members of their catholic church and seem to be very strong believers in the teachings of their church. My mother calls my ring a "very celtic looking ring" and I just nod my head.

So all in all only tell those that are "ready" to know or it may not fare well for you.

#9447 - 06/09/08 02:26 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: The Fat One]
Ryleigh Offline
lurker

Loc: England
I've always just been me, I don't think my religion dictates what I wear or how people see me, they either like me or they don't. I don't think anybody could look at me and say "Hey there goes a Satanist, lets throw some rocks!"
I'm just myself and if someone has ever asked me what my religion is I've always said ""Satanism" loud and proud and awnsered any sensible questions.
My family know, i come from a catholic family so they were not too thrilled but they (in time) understood that it was a personal choice that I made. No big pentagrams or anything like that, not that I carry around anyway.
But I also agree with ta2zz, at 15 your never going to be sure of the reaction you're going to get from people and if its better to keep it to your self for a while, do that.

#9451 - 06/09/08 05:08 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Ryleigh]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
Very good original question, and this is a general response, I just chose to respond to the last one I found...

This is the question, isn't it? I've asked this privately of people I totally respect. "How do you incorporate you professional life with your "Satanic" views?" And, "Do you openly act as a Satanist?"

On reflection, I was asking questions that now seem ridiculous to me. The responses thus far are adequate... but I must ask this - what do you gain? What could you gain? Some here live in the "Bible-belt" - so that must mean I live in the "Bible-underwear", or the "Bible-socks", but it still sucks ass. This is a Christian world, at least my impression, for most of the United States (which is my current "world").

Do you wanna go out there in that shithole of a town and proclaim you're the devil? That's exactly what you would be doing, for the most part. Muslims, at least in theory, recognize "Christ" as a "prophet", and the Christians are their misunderstood, and misguided "brethren".

"We" are the "Great Satan" - and don't misunderstand this - we really, really are. "We" are the "Antichrist". "Rock and Roll" IS Satanic, (and that's why I love it so).

And for the lovely Danish girl, I believe we have "spoken" before, but Denmark is lovely... Denmark is a completely different situation. If I were in your situation here, I'd have CPS all over my ass in a second. My kids would be taken from me, and I would be ostracized and quite possibly burned at the stake. It does me personally no good to "announce to the world" my "beliefs".

My personal response is much like the rest you've already received... "Do what thou wilt" - just make sure the "public" won't "Do what they wilt" on your dumb, Satanic ass.

But...

Why this big deal? Why this "Satanism" thing anyway? Why do you provide yourself a personal agony with the confines of this label? Why hang yourself with your own rope? Why this need for "definition"?

There be no Satanic martyrs, only Christian victors, and they stomp out the "evil" in this land, it's their job...

What's yours?

#9455 - 06/09/08 09:08 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: daevid777]
JohnTurk Offline
stranger

Loc: Indiana, US
I am somewhat public with my religion, although I am 16 [turning 17 next month] I in NO way use Satanism for "shock value". I like to call myself a Satanist because it makes me feel good inside. I have been telling people my beliefs in hope that they understand and quite possible want to learn about this religion. Telling my family about this is another issue. My mother hates it. When I purchased my first Satanic Bible, I took it everywhere, reading it. I had taken it to school one day [a public school] and a crazy christian teacher took it away from me. I was wanting to sue them for taking a religious boko away from me. I eventually got it back the next day, but instead of my mother being angry at the school, she was angry at me. She then threw away my bible. That sickens me so much to know that she would go to that extent to try to diminish my beliefs. Thanks to anyone that has took their time to read this.
#9458 - 06/09/08 11:57 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: daevid777]
Amina Offline

Originally Posted By: daevid777
Denmark is a completely different situation.

You are right. You CAN find redneck bible belt towns in Denmark, and you can find down to earth towns in the US (maybe in California?), but the US is so much more religious. That said, my main point was this: If you try to look and act like someone who is on the right track, this will help a lot. Good guy badges DO help, at least as long as you are able to keep up the act.

Even in Denmark a perfect citizen who proclaim himself as a satanist will be viewed as an unusual satanist, but a fucked up looser will be viewed as the the stereotype. And if the satanist is 15 years old, he will be viewed as a teenager gone astray even if he tries his best. Most teenage satanists in Denmark have the same problem but in a smaller degree, and a few actually get there parents to read up on the subject, and sometimes even allow them to join a satanic organization. When teens on our danish board have discussed the subject some of them have told of success with writing letters about there beliefs and asking there parents to read the *whole* letter before asking any kind of questions. This way they have been able to show that they want there parents to know that they believe and think, without getting cut off after the first sentence. I also think that some have used a text we made a few years back with advices for Danish satanists who are "coming out" (I wrote the text using knowlege about what people fear when there family members join cults and had a psychology student to screen it). By showing the text they have been able to show how worried they have been about the topic, and how other satanists also think it is impotent to keep up good relations with valued family members and friends.

- Amina

#9459 - 06/09/08 12:10 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: JohnTurk]
Amina Offline

Originally Posted By: JohnTurk
When I purchased my first Satanic Bible, I took it everywhere, reading it. I had taken it to school one day [a public school] and a crazy christian teacher took it away from me.

In Denmark we had a case a few years ago with s student around your age. The whole school had to go for a school event, and this non-christian student was told that it would be counted as illegal absenteeism if he stayed away. This particular student had been away for so much time already that he could not afford to miss another class, so he had to go. He protested by bringing The Satanic Bible to the church and reading it during service. The case got a lot of publicity, but as far as I remember no one tried to take his book, and he was not punished. The general opinion was that he should not have been told to go (it is NOT allowed to force students to attend church), but at the same time the student should not have been protesting the way he did. I have to agree on both accounts: people WILL react when you read The Satanic Bible or similar books in public, and they will react because of misunderstandings etc. without learning anything. The teacher could very well have been doing you a favor by taking the book. Other students could have been less sensitive and just kicked your ass. I have heard of teenage satanists who have had other teenagers try make exorcisms on them because of there choice of reading material.

- Amina

#9461 - 06/09/08 05:38 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: daevid777]
rob_church Offline

Loc: alberta , canada
my job is to be the adversary to be the great Satan,the antichrist,to mock the foolish and commend the strong
to intimidate the ignorant and honor the intelligent
to shock the herd and educate the individual
to scorn the abstinent and exalt the indulgent,

i wear the baphomet and my views publicly because i enjoy being a bright shining star amongst a sea of cattle
the ignorant fear me and the kindred recognize.

i love to destroy misconceptions or reinforce them depending on my mood,also i enjoy a challenge. manipulation is easy enough as it is, doing so while you are showing your inner skin is alot more fun,take back when i actually worked,my boss a devout Mormon loved me even thought i opposed his views publicly to his face as well as every xian i have met in my lifetime.

i mock everything they belive in and stand for everything they hate,yet i am still able to charm them so easly.fucking puppets, and thought out my life its always the good little xians girls that want to fuck my brains out lol.anyone i want to like me will,no matter what flag im carrying

i have lived as the adversary the great enemy all my life when i claimed the title of satanist it changed nothing other then the fact i had a flag to fly,unlike most here i enjoy the satanic stereotype why else would i choose the title lol .im the guy who insults you to your face but you keep coming back for more,im the guy who goes out of my way to smoke where the fuck i please, and a wait the day some clown tell me to move,im the guy purposely blocking the isle at your local store so you have to go all the way around if your to much of a bitch to go by me,im the guy that papered flyers across the cars of churches in my home town showing the hypocrisy same with 911,and when a idiot opens his mouth im the guy that is the first to speak up and close it.i am the adversary, the enemy,the wolf to the sheep mentality and to its followers

their is no agony in wearing the fact that you are elite with pride daevid777 only satisfaction.
if you got it flaunt it is my motto, show the cattle their true place, trampled beneath cloven hooves:)

SAY IT WITH ME NOW WHERE HERE WHERE QUEER WHER....oh wait that is not the right chant at all:)

so to sum up your question of why, i will say this.i do it because i enjoy it,really need i say anything else?

#9464 - 06/09/08 07:32 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: dark_wind]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
Yes, I admit it.
I've done interviews, my family knows, and my friends know as well. I've been involved in this whole mess for over 25 years at this point.
That said, I dont feel the need to thow it into peoples faces, or be blantant about it on the job. I try to balance it. Away from work, I may wear my various shirts on occassion. I dont wear my shirt to work cause, I like my job, and I like to get paid.
With that in mind, I usually wear my evil necklaces, besides I'm marked. I got my baph tattoo over 12 years ago.

Morg

I would say, gauge your situation. If its better to stay in the closet at your age inorder to manipulate and get ahead, then stay in the closet. I would gauge your friends as well, some people claim to be open minded and then will freak if you tell them anything different than what they believe.
Besides, sometimes, its easier to keep the peace where you live, if your family is unaware of your true feelings.
That said, good luck in deciding what to do.

M

#9465 - 06/09/08 07:41 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Amina]
JohnTurk Offline
stranger

Loc: Indiana, US
Wow, are you serious? That would make me so mad. Yeah i do see where your coming from, I probably shouldnt of had it out like that. Although I was reading it to myself. I had down an art project an art project [the teacher was my art teacher] and i had put a big Pentagram on it right in the middle, she hund it up in the hallway, failing to understand it. When she took it down she told me and the class that no "evil" or relgious works can be done. The next project I did a portrait of Jonathan Davis {Korn} and someone else did Jesus. She hung the Jesus picture out there and went on, on how she loved it.
Page 1 of 90 12345>Last »

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.05 seconds of which 0.022 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.