Page 30 of 91 « First<2829303132>Last »
Topic Options
#20802 - 02/19/09 02:21 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public? [Re: Master Magick]
Linaka113 Offline

Loc: East Bay 510 CA
Am I a Satanist in public the answer is mostly yes. I have long black hair that everybody likes. I do at times bleach my hair to blonde. When I do have my blonde phase. I will never have brown hair had that during my high school days. I wear all black about 70% of the time. I wear heavy eye make-up at times. Lets not forget my Pentagram necklace the looks on peoples faces I find pleasure in it. But when I'm at work its a different story I have to look normal (Semi-Professional) there is a dress code. People can still tell that I have the rocker look at work.

#20822 - 02/19/09 11:50 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public? [Re: Linaka113]
Octavius Offline

Loc: just visiting
So, being a Satanist in public means living up to a stereotype? Black clothes, eyeliner, pentagrams, etc. To me, that doesn't exemplify the Satanic lifestyle/philosophy. Rather, it says that you are just another Hot Topic customer who enjoys being a black sheep...and let's remember Morg's time-honored quip, "a black sheep is still a sheep."

Are you a Satanist in public? What is the real purpose of this question? Why would it be anything other than a resounding "YES." Are people curious as to whether or not baphomet pendants are worn in public? Rune tattoos are visible? Satanism isn't a fashion statement. Satanism is who you are. How you wear it is irrelevant. How you live each day is all that matters. If the only way you can do so is to epitomize the Goth stereotype, then I suppose I can't hold that against you. However, realize that being a Satanist in public isn't being dark and creepy. It's merely being who you are. Why would you be anything else? Perhaps this has been said in earlier posts...I must admit I've been avoiding this thread like the plague since it started and haven't read any of it until just now.

Octavius

#20835 - 02/20/09 01:47 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public? [Re: Octavius]
Master Magick Offline
pledge

Loc: New York, USA
while it's not good to assume, I'll assume the original question was whether or not we "out" ourselves in public.
the golden rule still being that unless you are looking for unexpected results, it's usually best to keep discussions on Religion, Politics and Sex to a minimum when you're not among good friends (and even then you take your chances).

Originally Posted By: Gratikus
Finally, since Satanism espouses survival of the fittest, Satanist should always be striving to exterminate each other in some shape or form anyway.

Really?!

Originally Posted By: Dan_Dread
See, there you go doing it again. Satanism doesn't 'espouse' survival of the fittest. Even if this were so, you make a huge and unreasonable jump in logic, a non sequitur if you will, to arrive at that conclusion.
I mean, why should I be striving to eliminate other Satanists?

How is that going to benefit me? Oh ya I forgot, 'there can be only one' right?

Your interpretation of Satanism is ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: Morgan
I have to agree with Dan...

If we were to get rid of non satanists, who would work at mcdonalds or pick berries from the fields.

If we had to kill each other, that would make for a lot of empty beds, no sex, no trust, no point.

Dude, honestly, you make it sound like a bad B movie script.

How about you turn this vision of yours into a movie script?
Then try to sell it.

You might get lucky that way.

Grat, I just read some more of your posts in this thread and realize there may not be hope ... the above quotes pretty much sum things up for me too.

Hold on while I get my Highlander sword and chop this thread off at the neck for the direction it went in...

#20848 - 02/20/09 07:12 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public? [Re: Linaka113]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
I rarely wear my Pentagram. Why? Because if I'm having a bad day and felt like shopping in my pj's, the last thing I want to do is wear my Pentagram and give people a reason to shake their heads in that, "How typical", or "What an idiot" manner. A few times when I have worn it, I dressed normally (dark wash jeans and a tank top with my tac boots--I wear minimal makeup 90% of the time) and gone out in public, my friendliness to others tends to initially disconcert the person at the checkout, but I always leave them smiling.

The best way, in my opinion, to get your "message" across, is to dress classy, project an air of confidence, be friendly and engage in intelligent conversation. People will think twice when they see a person who looks and acts like they rule the world, wearing a Pentagram or Baphomet.

On a slightly different note: Didn't La Vey mention somewhere along the line that Satanists should be the most attractive, the most successful, the "cream of the crop", the object of envy? What happened to that ideal? Now we have crops of newbies and so-called "pros" dressing like disaffected teenagers with long, greasy hair, who work at McDonald's calling themselves "Satanists". Talk about lowering the bar, people. Yuck.

#20850 - 02/20/09 07:39 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public? [Re: Nemesis]
spiderbreeder Offline

Loc: Sydney,Australia
I couldn't agree with you more Nemesis- the bar has been lowered indeed...

I wear a small Baphomet, sometimes visible, sometimes not depending on what I am wearing.

My dress sense doesn't fit what most of the ignorant would class as "Satanic"- I'm pretty laid back, liking my jeans and T-shirts with a bit of lip-gloss for make-up.

I am what I am, and don't feel the need to advertise what I am to people I don't know (and even some I do know!)

And to the original question asked- Yes, I'm a Satanist in public- what else could I be?

Just because the vast majority out there is unaware of what I am, doesn't dilute my "Satanic existence" in any way.

If anything, it enhances it.

Edited by spiderbreeder (02/20/09 07:59 AM)
Edit Reason: Typo

#20851 - 02/20/09 07:51 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public? [Re: Nemesis]
IsacijH Offline
stranger

Loc: Umeå, Sweden
Totally. If you fit the image of a lost, confused teenager with spikes, mohawk and eyeliner, people will just believe that you have a deep personality crisis, or perhaps that you are a black metal fan. Either way, the general crowd won't take you seriously

I personally prefer dressing in proper, classy clothes when I'm in public, but there are one exeption.

Where I'm from, it's great to wear something that will make you stand out. If you wear your Pentagram, or perhaps black nailpolish, idiots and shallow people will tend to avoid you, while the interesting, smart and truly attractive people will on the contrary be more intrested. So, I agree. Think about your appearance, but sometimes, the Pentagram can be a great way to filter out the stupid people.

Prisa den sanne djävulen, Hell Satan!

#20854 - 02/20/09 08:51 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public? [Re: IsacijH]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

I read the post and the new replies made by the various members.
Only the one of Octavius stood out and it was the only one who actually was sane and well-thought.

I agree with him, but I'd like to add something to Nemsis her reply:
 Quote:
Didn't La Vey mention somewhere along the line that Satanists should be the most attractive, the most successful, the "cream of the crop", the object of envy? What happened to that ideal? Now we have crops of newbies and so-called "pros" dressing like disaffected teenagers with long, greasy hair, who work at McDonald's calling themselves "Satanists". Talk about lowering the bar, people. Yuck.

However I agree with the statement/quote nemsis made/used, I'd like to add for being a Satanist you don't have to be well-groomed the whole time. I'll take me as an example. I'm maybe always dressed a bit "metal"-like. Just for the fact I feel good about it. From time to time a nice shirt when I feel like...
I look like a normal person, I don't stand out in a crowd. But on the background I can be dressed figural with "la creme de la creme" of tuxedos, in my environnement I'm the one in control. I give people the impression they stand above me, while I'm holding the puppet strings.

The point I'm trying to get across:
You don't have to show with pendants, necklaces, baphomets and so on, your philosophy. Being a Satanist in public means showing your abilities and powers to others. Being the realist you are/should be. And perhaps to some, saying straightforward you are "a Satanist".

Edited by Dimitri (02/20/09 08:52 AM)
Edit Reason: Expanded toughts

#20861 - 02/20/09 11:03 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public? [Re: Octavius]
IsacijH Offline
stranger

Loc: Umeå, Sweden
hmm. True. Maybe one should make a thread called "Do you dress as a stereotypical satanist in public"...

#21298 - 03/01/09 12:12 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public? [Re: IsacijH]
FromGehenna Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: IsacijH
hmm. True. Maybe one should make a thread called "Do you dress as a stereotypical satanist in public"...

Unfortunately clichés are clichés for a reason, and the image of the misanthropic metalhead adorned with huge baphomet medallion is the one first and foremost in the public mind. I am known to be a 'failed Atheist' to friends, but would find it very detrimental to my career if it was known that i follow the Satanic religious philosophy. So why be open about it if it's detrimental?

#21300 - 03/01/09 12:21 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public? [Re: FromGehenna]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
 Quote:

So why be open about it if it's detrimental?

Ahh, the sound of the nail being hit on the head. Such a sweet sound.

This is precisely why you could walk by a whole gaggle of die hard Satanists and never know it. The real ones have no leanings towards martyrdom, and can blend as a chameleon to achieve a desirable outcome.

Not to say there aren't any Satanists that willfully enjoy the 'stereotype' look, but you can be sure those are not being detrimentally effected by their choice in aesthetics or they would not look like that to begin with.

#21340 - 03/01/09 06:42 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public? [Re: Dan_Dread]
FromGehenna Offline
pledge

Originally Posted By: Dan_Dread
 Quote:

So why be open about it if it's detrimental?

Ahh, the sound of the nail being hit on the head. Such a sweet sound.

This is precisely why you could walk by a whole gaggle of die hard Satanists and never know it. The real ones have no leanings towards martyrdom, and can blend as a chameleon to achieve a desirable outcome.

Not to say there aren't any Satanists that willfully enjoy the 'stereotype' look, but you can be sure those are not being detrimentally effected by their choice in aesthetics or they would not look like that to begin with.

Absolutely. To put what you have said in a nutshell, Satanists should be the greatest influence the world has never seen.

#21375 - 03/02/09 01:46 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: JohnTurk]
R_L_M_3 Offline
lurker

Loc: Chambersburg PA United States
Yes I'm open with most people. About the only ones who don't realy know is my feances family. Though I think they suspect. I don't were a shirt with a baph on it, I got my baph inked on me.
#21378 - 03/02/09 03:05 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public? [Re: Nemesis]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
The whole getup with the black hair, spikes, dark clothes, and baphomet pendant stopped being "Satanic" decades ago. It's a sure sign of a heavy metal fan, but its relevance to Satanism has been trvialised to the point of insignificance. Heck, even one of my Christian friends has a baphoment t-shirt. Even "Unholy Black Metal" has become mostly a lighthearted expression of "good ol' rock 'n roll". I know a billion people who dress "evil", but virtually none of them are Satanists or even occultists for that matter.

My principle complaint is that even though Satanists are supposed to be part of the aspiring, intellectual/artistic elite, most of them turn out to be juvenile clowns in minimum-wage jobs pretending to be powerful magicians with silly self-endowed titles- yet despite all their fine talk of ascension to literal immortal godhood with meditations, or that silly anti-cosmic nonsense about deconstructing the material universe via infernal invocation... well, most of them can't seem to ascend past Assistant Manager at McDonalds, or deconstruct their terribly disorganized lives. Everyone and their mother is an "adept", it doesn't mean shit to anyone.

*jitters*

Sorry, just wanted to get that out of me.

Anyways, LaVey wrote somewhere in the Satanic Bible that the best Satanists are those successful people that you can't even tell are Satanists. One is a Satanist based on how they live, not on how they dress. But if you truly feel like you can comfortably express your Diabolism in public, do so by your words, ideas, and actions. Black clothing and pseudo-occult paraphernalia just doesn't cut it these days.

#21437 - 03/03/09 01:23 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public? [Re: The Zebu]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
Very true words. Too many choose to wear the hat, yet look the buffoon. Very few of those people can walk the walk and most are seen as the fraud they are. Anyone that can walk the walk sniffs these bozos out within seconds. Lately my nose smells sewer gas.

If you were to encounter me on the streets, you would have no clue that I am a Satanist. It would only be through one on one intimate conversation, that a bell would go off. And that is only if I wanted you hear that bell.

#21442 - 03/03/09 02:20 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public? [Re: fakepropht]
daevid777 Offline

Loc: Hell's Pisshole, Texas
Right on with Fakepropht...

You'd never know, and that's the real beauty. I have to say, I'm one hell of a nice guy, in public. Although I think I'm very much the same privately as well, there are veils, and there are veils. "I tell the truth, even when I lie". My "alter-ego" is getting closer and closer to the same being, and I'd like to think that's a good thing.

I like wearing black, but it doesn't always suit me. However, when I do... I'm so damned sexy.

Octavius had it right, and was one of the most intelligent posts of this thread, "we" are always "Satanist's in public", how you define that, or express that, is a matter of aesthetics.

Do what is necessary. I wear a tie... sometimes with a shirt even! And it gets me where I need to go. Not saying I don't like jeans and t-shirts - a time and place, ladies and gentlemen. As for me to dye my hair black, and put on black nail polish? I think my days for that kinda shit are over, it'd just be silly. But do what you gotta do, and if you are an ultra-talented artist, a music producer, or any other 6 figure-making person, great for you! Go out and get some. Just be "stylish", you gotta represent!

Anyway, to leave you with a joke of sorts... we celebrate "halloween" at my workplace (cool as hell for me), someone asked me if I was going to "dress up"... I told them I already do, every day...

I don't know if they got the joke.

Page 30 of 91 « First<2829303132>Last »

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.037 seconds of which 0.011 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.