Page 34 of 91 « First<3233343536>Last »
Topic Options
#23782 - 04/25/09 11:25 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: dark_wind]
locuststar Offline
stranger

good question,id say yes my family knows my friends know yet i dont like to rub my beleifs in peoples faces i hardly ever wear anything with a Pentagram on it unless the specific band t-shirt i got has one on it in the first place,i may in the future be getting a Pentagram tattoo on my left hand but again thats interlinked withone of my favourite bands (iron monkey) i think if you explain the religion to people so they understand what its actually about and dont let them go with the stereotypical veiw that its all about eating children and killing small animals ha ha their generally ok about it
#23794 - 04/26/09 01:59 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: locuststar]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

What strikes me most is that the people who claim to be open about their philosophy mostly think they let people know about it by wearing pendants, tattoo's or other possible ways/manners in which you can craft a baphomet...

Haven't met the right person yet who actually is open about it by simply living the philosophy and thus showing it to his envirronement.

#23796 - 04/26/09 04:07 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Dimitri]
Fabiano Offline

I think there is a kind of excitation when one discover Satanism or read TSB for the first time.

I compare this to the first step of the learning process as described in a training I had on coaching. The novice lacks experience but is highly motivated. As a coach you do not need to motivate him but have to be quite directing, guiding.
And as a novice, full of enthusiasm, it's hard to be silent about "your new job". I think it's quite normal.

To me, being Satanist in public can have the advantage of putting you out of your comfort zone. Sometimes people will ask you, with a much opened mind, what Satanism is. And there it's sometimes hard to find answers to apparently simple questions...

Regarding the kind of person you're talking about, probably the Woodstockian Diavolo was talking about is a good match.

I also gave Dr House as an example of Satanic character in fictions.

They're not "Satanist in public" but who knows if they're "in private" ?

About the pendant, tattoos, etc; it finally depends on the context. I'll show my Satanism when I'll go to the Hellfest, but if I go for a job interview, I'll be discreet.

#23806 - 04/27/09 06:14 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Fabiano]
Mr_Reaper Offline
stranger

Loc: California, sf bay area (south...
I am not a satanist. However I often find myself descovering myself acting like one. I share philosophies of Satanism, however they didn't stem from it. Which is why I find it kind of ironically hilarious. I could be labeled as a satanist and fit perfectly within (subtract rituals etc).

In public, I say I am agnostic Atheist. If they inquired more about my personal beliefs, I say that I fall inline with the Satanic beliefs, however are not Satanic.

Other questions regarding the subject, but for another time.

#23808 - 04/27/09 09:00 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Mr_Reaper]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
 Quote:
In public, I say I am agnostic Atheist. If they inquired more about my personal beliefs, I say that I fall inline with the Satanic beliefs, however are not Satanic.

Agnostic Atheist...hmmm...a bit of an oxymoron right there. By (a) definition, an agnostic is "One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true Atheism." Heh.

"Falling in line with" Satanic ideas does not mean the same thing as "being" a Satanist. As you yourself stated:

Quote:

I am not a satanist.

Indeed.

Homo Homini Lupus

#23810 - 04/27/09 09:30 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Draculesti]
Fabiano Offline

At first glance it can seem an oxymoron, however a quick look on religioustolerance.org brings some lights :

Quote:
George Smith, the author of "Atheism" divides agnostics into two types:
- Agnostic theists: those who believe that a deity probably exists;
- Agnostic atheists: those who believe that it is very improbable that a deity exists.

But off course, I don't know what Agnostic Atheist means for Mr_Reaper...

#23812 - 04/27/09 11:52 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Fabiano]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Personally I do think one can just get rid of agnostic in those cases. Or of Atheist/theist. You can't be agnostic "something", believe a deity probably exists but maybe, very maybe he doesn't exist too. If something probably exists, it probably doesn't exist too. Why else would one use probably at all?

Those two sub-divisions is more a case of wanting to be even more special. I wonder what's next.

D.

Edited by Diavolo (04/27/09 11:53 AM)

#23813 - 04/27/09 12:41 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Diavolo]
FromGehenna Offline
pledge

It also depends on the level of belief that a person has. i tell people that i am a 'failed Atheist', agreeing with the agnostic stance suggested by Dr Carl Sagan (and others) that a non-interventionist deity created the universe we live in. maybe the Yezidi got it right! (joking, of course!) \:\)
#23814 - 04/27/09 12:57 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: FromGehenna]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

I am a failed gay too, and a failed Christian and Buddhist. I totally suck at those things although suck isn't the correct expression to use with gay in one sentence.

Let's get serious in this; agnostic implies you don't make a decision based upon lack of evidence or lack of lack of evidence. I do already find that a pretty non-intellectual position but hell, so be it. But then in the same concept making a subdivision that does make a decision upon a degree of evidence or a degree of lack of evidence is outright silly. It's evidence of how the intellectual level is infested by egalitarianism because if not, one would instead of adding those definitions to the great book of religious positions, just tell them to do something more appropriate; like cleaning my house or polishing my shoes instead of pretending to think.
I indeed can't be accused of being egalitarian.

Look at it this way; I am a male but there is always this probability that I am maybe having a long-lasting psychotic episode and even when I'm juggling this fancy equipment between my legs, I am actually a -likely very pretty- female. So next time should I write "probably male", or "probably afemale"?

D.

Edited by Diavolo (04/27/09 12:58 PM)

#23815 - 04/27/09 01:02 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Diavolo]
Dimitri Offline
stalker

I tend to evade the word "failed". With a little bit of excercise you can become good.. Less experienced sounds better..

#23816 - 04/27/09 02:31 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: dark_wind]
Tommy Offline
stranger

If you call yourself a Satanist, then you’ve got to be one whether you are in the privacy of your home or you’re publicly surrounded by Christian fanatics. The only reason I can think of for one not to act like he truly wants to, when interacting with other people, is fear of being judged by the majority (even if their beliefs just don’t make any sense). But a Satanist doesn’t fear judgment. If someone tries to defy his philosophy he will unleash his logic upon the enemy to prove the greatness of Satanism and undercover the numerous flaws of all the other right hand path religions.

The «good» guys are left speechless and quietly walk away.

Hail Satan!

#23819 - 04/27/09 03:13 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Fabiano]
Draculesti Offline
Impaler

Loc: Rockville, Maryland
 Quote:
religioustolerance.org

Great, because what this world needs is more tolerance. Tolerance is what creates these useless subdivisions in the first place. "Hey, there isn't a word for what I believe...I know, I'll make it up!!" Furthermore, tolerance is anathema to religion. Most religions are founded upon the idea that everybody else is wrong, and must be either made to see the error of their ways or be exterminated (the Crusades ring a bell here).

Quote:
George Smith, the author of "Atheism" divides agnostics into two types:
- Agnostic theists: those who believe that a deity probably exists;
- Agnostic atheists: those who believe that it is very improbable that a deity exists.

Of course, the concept was not lost on me, but I agree with Diavolo. I see no need for the division. The existence or non-existence of God, in reality, is unknowable (and God is not forthcoming with proof). As Satanists, we do not believe in God, but that does not mean that we can conclusively prove his non-existence, any more than a Christian can conclusively prove his existence. Of course, we can articulate and argue more reasonably for his non-existence, but I digress.

So, it could really boil down to this: Agnostic theists = Christians and followers of other RHP religions; Agnostic atheists = simply atheists, Satanists, etc. However, as has been discussed elsewhere, one can be an Atheist and not a Satanist, but one cannot be a Satanist and not an Atheist.

Homo Homini Lupus

#23820 - 04/27/09 03:16 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Diavolo]
Fabiano Offline

What a laught with your failed gay! \:D

I'll never see myself as a failed anything !

Agnosticism is for me to cultivate doubt. There is no THRUTH in Xianity or in Buddhism or even in Satanism.

To me it's non-intellectual to assert the God exists or not exists without proofs. It's a question of belief.

So, I see agnostic theists as those who rationnaly don't know but believe that there is a God. We had a Xian (Lux) who agreed to be rationnaly agnostic.

I cannot rationnaly exclude a non interventionist God.

Finally, I think this quote from Marcus Aurelius reflects well my current position :
 Quote:
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

I already said that or god does not exists or he's cruel (an inteventionist god I mean).

#23821 - 04/27/09 03:24 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Tommy]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Look at being a public satanist from another perspective; he who is open about everything has very little to lose. He who has very little to lose has no great ambitions.
Of course there might be exceptions to the rule but mostly -in the real world- being completely open IS at your disadvantage.

Anything You Say Can and Will Be Used Against You. isn't a line only valid in TV-series. If you'd proclaim being a satanist -in public- in my line of work, I would use it against you to compete you out of it.

D.

#23823 - 04/27/09 03:35 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Fabiano]
Diavolo Offline
RIP
stalker

Fab, I think I said it a couple of times before; it got nothing to do with belief to say there is no god; it's just accepting that it is so improbable it almost equals zero. That's enough to accept it as not for me. I'm as convinced that tomorrow there will still be gravity. But not 100% because I can imagine a couple of very improbable scenarios in which it might not be so.

Certainty does not exist; all is either probable or improbable.
Equally probable on a subject you can't put a figure upon to begin with -or without any evidence for the probable part- does however require some degree of faith. As does very probable in that case.

D.

Page 34 of 91 « First<3233343536>Last »

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.04 seconds of which 0.01 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.