Page 45 of 91 « First<4344454647>Last »
Topic Options
#28715 - 08/20/09 04:16 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: fakepropht]
Asmedious Moderator Offline

Loc: New York
Oh now don't go thinking of yourself as so special. I mean who amongst us have not enjoyed a good shit eating on a horny day.

You're just a light weight. You have a wife. That's easy shit.

Try going down town, and finding a cheap hooker, and paying her the extra five bucks for decent shit job. Now that's being adventorous.

#29334 - 09/05/09 07:20 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: dark_wind]
Tristanstein Offline
stranger

Loc: Afghanistan
After some discussion with other Satanic military men and reading an eloquent comparison by Zoid of the Nine Satanic Statements and the military I started thinking there should be a Satanic representative in the armed forces. Given the prevalence of closet Satanist and individuals that have not yet come to recognize them self’s as Satanist but still adhere to many Satanic beliefs, I pondered what would happen if these people had proper representation. How many goats would come out of the wood works? After disillusioned minds were rehabilitated with what Satanism really is, how many would convert? I then gave this some thought on a larger scale covering civilian sectors along with military.

This brought me back to something else I had read here about rather or not it is a good idea to be openly Satanic. It seems there hasn’t been enough of a connection between what Satanism truly stands for and the mainstream world. This seems to be the biggest obstacle facing integration of Satanism and our society.

I understand the appeal of something that is taboo. The forbidden fruit will always be the most tempting. Taking Satanism mainstream might take away from its dark and sinister charm, I however think Satanism deserves a place in the every day. Catholics wear there crucifixes without fear of judgment and its high time the Sigil of Baphomet be placed in the public eye with out causing alarm! I am all for a Satanism awareness day. If only the Doctor were still with us to preside over the Satan day parade.

#29340 - 09/05/09 08:28 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Tristanstein]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
Perhaps you should steep yourself in the modern history of Satanism?

This guy has been there, done that, and got the t-shirt. I don't know if would recommend following his lead. It can be a tough row to hoe.

Never the less, he is the Grand Pooh-bah of Satanists in service. Check out some of his interviews on Youtube.

#29372 - 09/07/09 09:49 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: dark_wind]
Gex Offline
lurker

Loc: Philippines
I'm practical with this shit. In order not to offend friends and family (as I am living in a predominant Christian counrty) I share my thoughts with them but I don't openly use the "S" word. I dont have a Baphomet medallion, nor even other books by ASL; I just read TSB and other philosophies that makes relevance such as Nietzsche, Rand or Machiavelli. I also read Jack London's White Fang and Call of the Wild for fiction.
It's just it. I dont believe in a Theistic Supreme Deity; I started out as a Deist in high school and become an Agnostic in early college years, then I commit myself to Atheism later on. About the "S" thing, its purely symbolical with the modern philosophy.

#29407 - 09/09/09 05:07 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Gex]
Tristanstein Offline
stranger

I can agree that the name Satan is symbolic. As far as there being a deity or not, I cant say. I am still learning and based on some of my own experiences I believe that it is very likely that there is something like a deity.

I don’t see it as practical I see it as necessary in order not to be black balled. It is practical to shop thrifty, it is practical to watch what you eat, its is not practical to hide what you are. It is fucking sad that I am over seas fighting for my country and I cant expect to be treated the same respect as a Christian or a Jew! Satanism, it seems is still in the stockades of social ignorance.

#29408 - 09/09/09 05:45 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Tristanstein]
Jake999 Offline

I was openly a Satanist in the military from about 1970 to 1989. I was the first person to be given dog tags with Church of Satan as the religious preference, an while it wasn't EASY, I managed to have a successful career as an enlisted man.

Dr. Aquino, also a member of this forum, managed to do quite well as an Army Officer, first as a member of the Church of Satan and then as the founder and head honcho for the Temple of Set. I don't know if his records or dog tags reflected his religious preference, as mine did.

One thing I can tell you from experience is that if you are open as an active Satanist in the military, you had better have your ducks in a row, your Is dotted and your Ts crossed. You're going to have to be the best at what you do, because you WILL be under scrutiny. You can expect to be investigated... hell, what else is new? I was investigated more than once and had nothing to hide. I went by the book. In fact, my name was ON some of them.

Did I get the same respect as others? Most times yes, because I was the best at what I did and was valuable to the units I was assigned to. Occasionally, I ran into some people who wanted to play games, but I knew my rights and how to enforce them without seeming to be a whining complainer about it. When it came time for me to reup, I took the same oath of enlistment that everyone else did, with the exception that "so help me God" was omitted.

Hassles? Sure. Worth it? Only the person in that position can say. For me, it was. For others, not so much.

Sorry... can't get the dogtag image to mount. Will try to put it in the gallery.

Side note: This happens to be the 666th reply to this thread - Meq

#29412 - 09/09/09 06:13 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Jake999]
Jake999 Offline

I should mention that this recognition wasn't given to me over night. I had to keep pushing for it every deployment, every records check and at every reenlistment counseling. I finally managed to get them delivered to me by Pass and ID in about 1984 or early 1985.

But knowing how slow the wheels of the military bureaucracy move, I guess it's a case of better late than never!

#29416 - 09/09/09 09:30 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: dark_wind]
Zorg Offline
stranger

Loc: A Galaxy Far, Far Away
I find it interesting that the title of this thread is, "Are You A Satanist In Public?"
My first eraction was "Yes. I am a Satanist wherever I go".

Obviously, you wonder how many are open about their religion. As has been said, no one else is in your position, so curiosity satisfied may be the only gain.

Personally, I am open in that I affirm that humans are just another animal, I do not hide my carnal nature and everyone who knows me realizes early on that I take responsibility for my actions...and expect the same from others. So, yes...I am a Satanist in public. Do I announce it? No. However, if someone shows that they know the score, and I think it is apropos, I will divuge that tid-bit about myself. It has happened.

For me, the thing to think about is the possibility that anyone may, through one avenue or another, discover that I am a Satanist. I would like to think that my manner of behavior would speak well of the religion.

"Plato was a bore."
Friedrich Nietzsche

#29436 - 09/10/09 05:19 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Jake999]
Final Conflict Offline
stranger

Jake, do you think that in those years it was much easier to be open about being a Satanist than it is today? I've read Dr. Aquino's book and I get the feeling that back in the 1970s things were a lot better than they are now. Back then the religious right hadn't yet become the force that it would become during the Reagan years, and as well, the Satanic Panic hadn't occurred yet - and interestingly enough, the Panic started around the same time that the Christian zealots became an organized political force.

I can't imagine that any officer serving today and publicly identifying as a Satanist would be allowed to rise as high as Dr. Aquino did in terms of rank and position. I know that at least in the Marines it would be a huge mistake to do that.

#29438 - 09/10/09 07:08 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Final Conflict]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
I honestly would have no idea. Again, reading Michael Aquino's writings gives me the impression that his religion made him the subject of endless scrutiny and harrowing by higher (and lower-ups) who didn't want to see a devil-worshiping-baby-eater in the army.

I think the matter is that there aren't a terrible amount of Satanists overall, so I'd imagine they'd also be scarce in the military-- much less those who choose to make such their career.

I would say that society overall is more tolerating, but it seems to me that the military is filled with more conservative types, so modern liberalism would not have much affect on the military's acceptance.

Edited by The Zebu (09/10/09 07:09 PM)

#29440 - 09/10/09 07:48 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Final Conflict]
Jake999 Offline

In some ways, I think it probably was because the world at large hadn't been conditioned to believing that we (The Church of Satan) REALLY existed, and that it was a serious entity. The military knew that I WAS serious, and they knew that I wasn't a doper or a malcontent. But I was one guy.

When I renewed the military chaplain's manual spot on the Church of Satan, I identified myself as a career NCO at Travis AFB, and I do know that my commander was informed that I had done the deed for the Church, but my commander was well aware that I was in the Church and an Administrator as well. At that time my on-station duties were as the NCOIC of Quality Control for the unit and I worked directly under the Squadron Commander... he had no problem with my religious affiliations and re-upped my ass twice times under his command.

AND there was a cache' that went with being in the Church of Satan, especially in the Bay Area in California. People knew of LaVey there, and if you were in San Francisco, you knew of the Black House. There sometimes was a bit of celebrity that went with it. Before I was called to be an Administrator, I was running the Melek Taus Chapel in Vacaville, CA. Again, the military was well aware of it, and whenever I was in the local paper for some reason, it wouldn't be uncommon for the commander to ask me about it.

But also, again, I wasn't a raving flake. I was a professional in all that I did and carried myself as such. There was no reason to make the higher ups "worry" about what I was going to do that might embarrass them or the military. I didn't flaunt my religion or hold seminars for the troops. I didn't insist of taking Walpurgisnacht off, I didn't show up at functions in civilian attire with a Baphomet shirt on or tattoos. So surely, at least in my case, it made acceptance at least a bit easier.

#29442 - 09/10/09 09:51 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Jake999]
antithesis Offline
lurker

Loc: Nowhere, OK.
Right now I'm only in high school and can't offer any experiences of true difficulty concerning my being a Satanist (except parents and peers) but just to keep it that way, if asked, I'll just call myself an Atheist to KIS(S), since Satan, to me, is only symbolic.

As long as Satanists are so few in number in the Western world (which is how we want it), I can't help but think 'acceptance' will always be a bit rough since Satanism is still associated with teenage angst and/or baby-eating. No matter how clean-cut and professional the person is or how well they do their job, once some taboo fact gets out there, you're no longer viewed the same way as the guy next to you who is Christian, Jewish, or Muslim.

Although this problem is inevitably going to be around for a while, things have definitely improved since, say, the 1980's to state the obvious.

Edited by antithesis (09/10/09 10:27 PM)

#29530 - 09/13/09 09:17 PM Are you a Satanist in public? [Re: antithesis]
MissKitty Offline
stranger

Loc: UK
I am not in or out of the closet. I mainly inform people on a need to know basis. I personally would not go as far as to tell everyone I meet. Due to the amount of closed-minded people in this world, I believe that it would close many doors for me to do so.

In a society where people wear all sorts of labels like a shiny suit of gold, just to be cool or alternative, I would rather stand out for being smart or funny, not just another attention whore. Don't get me wrong, I do not count all of those who are public about in that category. It is all about your situation and how you represent yourself.

#29615 - 09/15/09 02:57 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public? [Re: MissKitty]
Tristanstein Offline
stranger

You right about using tact when talking about personnel beliefs. Even in an excepting society there would still be people who couldn’t comprehend Satanism. I wouldn’t go out and put my reputation on the line to gain attention as a Satanist ether but sometimes the shock value of telling someone that you’re a Satanist is priceless.

I haven’t straight up told anyone in my platoon that I am a Satanist yet, but in some of the discussions my battle buddies and I have had revolving around religion, I have made it clear that I am in no way a Christian. I would say things like “the devil is my copilot” or “hail Satan” in passing to my friends and NCO’s and they would just laugh it off thinking “there goes Smitty, that crazy fuck” but then they started saying it to! Fucken hilarious!

So it sucks to have to be reserved about something like being a Satanist but being able to fuck with people and them think saying something like “the devil is my copilot” is nothing but a joke even though I mean it has its upside.

#30083 - 09/27/09 02:20 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: JohnTurk]
FlameReborn Offline
stranger

Loc: SPFLD,OH,USA
There is a fucking awesome Baphomet black hoody on Satan Shop, I would wear it in public.

As for my family, I may not agree (at all) with their Christian views. However, I wouldn't walk around with my Pentagram out, since Christians, who believe their ignorant views, tend to put the hate on others who are simply different. Not only does representing satan not help my case, to my father who is an Anglican deacon, but I don't feel like being disowned.

I may be an atheistic satanist, but I also agree with Magus Gilmore when he stated that as Satanists we really don't care what religion you are, just don't force it on us. Well, I guess I shouldn't do the same to my family. Not to mention that they would never truly understand what LaVeyan Satanism is, I would always be a "devil worshiper" to them.

That's my understanding of "Responsibility to the Responsible." My parent's don't push so I don't need to push back. And if I did I would do it in an Atheist fashion.

Page 45 of 91 « First<4344454647>Last »

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.038 seconds of which 0.012 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.