Page 47 of 90 « First<4546474849>Last »
Topic Options
#30971 - 10/29/09 11:59 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Sutherland09]
6Satan6Archist6 Offline
stalker

Do you think about what you are going to say before you type or do you just type whatever comes to mind?

I have no reason to lie to my friends or family because they are my friends and family. If my friends or family wanted to shun me for my beliefs then so be it - I would rather not associate with such people anyway. Prospective emloyers, co-workers, snd other people with a certain level of power over me are a different story though.

You can say that faith in the self is what really counts in life but that doesn't make it true. I would say that money is what really counts in life. As I already stated, I do not operate on faith. Faith is belief without proof and/or without good reason to believe. I have reason to believe the things I believe including belief in myself.

#30980 - 10/30/09 03:01 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: 6Satan6Archist6]
Damis Offline
pledge

Loc: England
Having faith in yourself will not help you at the end of the day when you cannot find employment and when nobody will take you seriously. Standing up and declaring yourself a Satanist at any and every point of inquiry will inevitability lead to negative consequences somewhere down the line.. especially in the work place. The action of claiming a title in a situation where you know the outcome will be a negative one is not being proud of your "superior nature", it is simply self destructive pride.

Now will you elaborate and defend your points, or will you continue to attack people?

#31006 - 10/30/09 10:09 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Damis]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
I don't think he meant it that way, ie, declaring oneself a Satanist in workplace/professional or everyday settings. In the professional world, religion should not even come up as an issue, so there is no reason to address it.

We're talking about with friends and family here, in which case the game changes completely. My family takes (or at least tries to take) religion seriously, so it would be problematic if I lied to them and kept on pretending to be a good little Christian boy. Religion and philosophical tenets (or at least the illusion thereof) do matter in those kind of relationships, and it's best to be honest in such situations.

#31007 - 10/30/09 10:30 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: The Zebu]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
I'm on the fence when it comes to family. Everyone has certain members of their family that are cool, and they can tell anything to them. Then on the opposite end, you have the nut cases who expect everyone else to cater to their beliefs. It's the ones that lie somewhere in the middle of the two extremes that can usually be handled.

For instance, my dad is tolerant of certain things that my mom isn't, and vice versa. My dad already knows I'm an Atheist, and I don't think he'd have any issue at all if he knew I was a Satanist. I don't think he'd give a shit, actually. Mom, on the other hand, just wouldn't know how to handle such a subject, because discussing those kinds of things is almost a little taboo for her. She wouldn't love me any less, or think of me differently, but it's not a subject she'd be comfortable with because she doesn't understand it whatsoever. However, she can talk about sex and other things that totally gross me out with NO reserve whatsoever. Go figure. *shudder*

So with family, just like with friends, it's who you know and whom you can trust.

#31045 - 10/31/09 03:26 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Nemesis]
Satansfarm Offline

Loc: america
My grandmother gave me my first copy of the Satanic Bible. "That makes sense" were her exact words. Perhaps other members of my family who are exceedingly Catholic would cough up a hairball if they knew about my beliefs. When it comes to the community, I find opposition rearing its ugly head every now and then. In retrospect, its usually from people who I can't stand anyway, so it's no great loss. Happy is the man who has a smattering of enemies. Rivals keep your guard up. I believe that only an idiot thinks he loves everybody and they will show the same to him.
#31136 - 11/02/09 08:24 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Satansfarm]
Room 101 Offline

Loc: Scotland
Honestly, yes.

When I talk about “publicly being a Satanist” I don’t mean dusting off the soap box and making the world my parapet.
More along the lines of, if a person asks me, I’m honest. But to be fair, it’s very rarely a conversation that will arise.

Realistically, I think I may have asked maybe three people in my life what they believe in, if they believe in anything or what they consider to be the “point of it all”. I don’t see any gain in hiding what I am or the beliefs that are such a large part of me being who I am.

I no more project or impose my beliefs and value systems onto others than I allow them to be forced upon me.

If someone asks, I say, if not, I won’t.

Edited by Room 101 (11/02/09 08:38 PM)

#31170 - 11/03/09 07:03 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Room 101]
Satansfarm Offline

The other day there was a fellow I invited to my lair who I knew wasn't that happy about my being a Satanist. I do not always have the time nor patience to sit there and explain that I don't worship the devil, that I'm not always into being evil, etc. When he asked me about the large Baphomet banner on my wall, I simply told him that its a symbol of the Knights Templar. Why butt heads with someone who will never agree?
#31249 - 11/04/09 07:50 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Room 101]
oXo Offline
lurker

In my situation it is very difficult to make my religious beliefs public. I mean I'm not exactly in the closet. Those closest to me are aware of my title. Still others are aware of the fact that I don't follow traditional religious ways (especially christianity) and I give them a watered down version of the truth which basically encompases my definition of god and satan.

However, I must be careful who I tell. I want to go into the education field, and I am not stupid enough to believe that my religion would not have an ill effect on me being hired in the future. Why give your enemy a loaded gun?

Besides. If I let someone in on my beliefs (using the "S word" that is) it means that they have earned a great deal of respect and trust from me, which are two things that I do not give up easily. It is a privledge. One not to be given freely.

#31271 - 11/04/09 10:57 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: oXo]
Satansfarm Offline

I have begun to become uncomfortable around people who are not LHP. I am tired of having to explain myself over and over to the same kind of people. Some are curious and afraid, others condescending. A nice witch I met once asked me if she could meet me in a cafe around my neighborhood. I had to tell her that the place I frequented was not such a great idea. There are so many who love to wear that good guy badge and point their finger at me. "There he is, that evil Satanist bastard. let's get him." I guess I will have to have tea with her some other time.
#31351 - 11/05/09 10:53 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: JohnTurk]
JWG Offline
pledge

I am a Satanist in my philosophy, not my clothes or fashion. So yes, in public I am a Satanist without any problem whatsoever, but do I go and tell others I am a "Satanist", no. To do things in a fashion that would bring unpleasant and truly un-wanted attention (negative attention), than I do no think that would be very smart in "Satanic" terms by the LaVey definition of Satanic, in my personal and honest interpretation.

#31370 - 11/06/09 08:17 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: JWG]
Satansfarm Offline

Projecting my values on other people is just not good. It truly is dumb to think that other people feel the way I do about everything.
As I get older, I find that my value system is indeed quite different than most other people. I also enjoy my freedom to change up my goals, projects, and points of view and other people find this infuriating. I find their blustering to be quite amusing.

#31587 - 11/12/09 05:32 AM Re: Are You a Satanist in Public? [Re: Amina]
nocTifer Offline
pledge

Loc: Khazakstan
 Originally Posted By: dark_wind
...do you admit {to being a Satanian}? Does your family know? How about your friends?
I often wear my long black woolen robes (mistaken for a Russian Orthodox priest from odd angles) and point-down pentacle composited with Buddhist amulets featuring a tongue-lolling Devil-head on it in public. I used to be without headhair when i lived in the city, and now never touch a razor in the rurals. "What are you, some kind of devil-worshipper?" is a question i've heard more than once. I heard it the day i ventured off to make a blood pact. sometimes i respond if the questioner seems serious. I am calm, as friendly as can be, and i explain as best i'm able that i'm a Satanist.

I am too weird and wild to have remained friends with many from my past. they could not keep up with me (and few tried). those friends and family i still know have been fully apprised of what i am about and who i am. the rest are in the dust, sometimes laughing at me or judging me in my wake. my Beloved and a few others at first glimpse got some dangerous vibe from me, but i'm really as sweet as a contented kitten, and they quickly realized this, to their surprise. I have the ability to withdraw -- the other side of the lolling Devil-pent is the Eye of Agamotto.

Originally Posted By: Amina
...people WILL react when you read The Satanic Bible or similar books in public, and they will react because of misunderstandings etc. without learning anything. The teacher could very well have been doing you a favor by taking the book. Other students could have been less sensitive and just kicked your ass. I have heard of teenage satanists who have had other teenagers try {to exorcise} them because of their choice of reading material.
I had this happen with a kid in the city once. I routinely took the bus to a different part of town where i had a security post. I was reading "Not Like Most" on the bus and he got really scared, then became outraged. several times i ran into him he threatened me and i was somewhat concerned for my safety. I'm a pacifist, no fighter, even though i'm tall and lanky. eventually i sat down near him and apologized for upsetting him and told him i would keep that kind of material away from him, and intended him no harm. he warned me of the dangers of that kind of reading material, but seemed satisfied. we never saw one another again, and i felt courageous for not submitting to his threat.

I live in a very liberal zone, peripheral to the origins of Satanity as i know it (south SF Bay Area born and now live northward of there). people are really accepting, generally, but i have run into threatening people, those who were sure i needed to be saved, whackos who wanted me to help them sell their soul, and just about anything in between. I put myself out there, and can expect to meet up with all kinds. I have the LUXURY of being able to do that in part due to the brave pioneers of Satanism such as LaVey and his church, with whom i have not ever been affiliated.

Edited by nocTifer (11/12/09 06:00 AM)

#31596 - 11/12/09 04:11 PM Re: Are You a Satanist in Public? [Re: nocTifer]
GillesdeRais Offline

I have never posited my own opinions on this thread, but now, I'll come out of the Brimstone Closet. There are many posters here that I admire, and make an honorable effort to understand and emulate.
For me, the path is academic and a lot of work, and I'm not as open as others. Getting to a place like this (initiation), and examining it for What It Is after getting off your normal job of WADING through mountains of occult bullshit to glean scerets that you only want to understand and seek to be burned by, then whatever meager handouts that have been left to you by SHEER providence you like to preserve and defend.
Makes for an exhausting day!
Thanks for your service all Vets.

#31632 - 11/13/09 06:55 AM Re: Are You a Satanist in Public? [Re: GillesdeRais]
Satansfarm Offline

At one time when I purchased books like Satan Speaks or The Devil's Notebook, I covered them with brown paper. I didn't want people to see what I was reading on the bus. Every now and then my baphomet pendant slips out of my shirt unbeknownst to me, and I wonder why someone was giving me weird looks on the bus. Perhaps sometimes things like this work to my advantage. For instance, I am in an office, waiting for a business transaction with someone.
Perhaps I want to intimidate this company. I am wearing all black and I sit there, calmly reading my nonchalantly exposed Satanic Bible. The secretary's eyes go wide for a bit, then she nervously looks the other way.
"That's right dearie," I smile to myself. "If your boss doesn't come through for me on this deal, you and your whole company will be roasty toasty by the light of the full moon. AHHHHHH--ooooooooo....."

#31661 - 11/13/09 09:41 PM Re: Are You a Satanist in Public? [Re: Satansfarm]
Room 101 Offline

Loc: Scotland
So you state that you cover your Satanic literature for fear of provoking a response in others, then you openly admit relish in the fact that these book/concepts strike fear in others when you deem it fit to share your ideology/concepts with the world?
I’m all for discretion, but why cover books that you read on the bus, this act alone screams "look at me!"

You’re perfectly happy for those that you conduct business with to know of your “secret sin”, but for strangers on a bus...that’s just going too far? A slight paradox it would seem.

Surly people that were affiliated with you professionally would be of greater import than those that see you on a day to day basis via means of public transportation?

If the mirage of “decency” were to be maintained, surly it would be those that fund the coffers that would be of greater significance. Hence my lack of understanding when it seems that you deem strangers significant enough to be deceive rather than those that fund your lifestyle.

Edited by Room 101 (11/13/09 09:44 PM)

Page 47 of 90 « First<4546474849>Last »

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.038 seconds of which 0.012 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.