Page 8 of 91 « First<678910>Last »
Topic Options
#11776 - 09/23/08 06:43 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: The Zebu]
Impius Offline
pledge

Loc: Lille, France
Yep, but the ONA is "traditionnal", not LaVeyan. I guess I meant "traditionnal" when I wrote "theist".

#11789 - 09/24/08 03:37 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Impius]
The Zebu Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
I don't bother making any distinctions between Satanists other than "theistic" and "non-theistic". One is mystic, the other is agnostic. Easy distinction.

But it's when you start getting into terms like "traditional" and "orthodox" that things start getting weird. Because on one hand, a traditional Satanist could be a theist, since traditionally, Satanism has been regarded as the literal worship of Satan, even if it only existed in the minds of the masses. But on the other hand, LaVeyan Satanism is the closest thing that we have to an organized "tradition". Groups like the ONA claim to come from an ancient secret lineage, but that's unfalsifiable hogwash. "Orthodox Satanism" simply means that they believe their religion is the One True Religion (tm). Which can apply to a multitude of different groups, so it isn't useful.

So yeah, that's my slightly-off-topic rant for the day.

#11800 - 09/25/08 12:58 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: The Zebu]
SectorSophia Offline
lurker

Loc: Deltona, FL
Hi all! I'm new here, so I suppose I'll introduce myself first. My name is Tim(a guy), even though my name sounds like a girl's.

Sectorsophia means "seeker of wisdom" in Latin. It's a name that certainly describes me better than Timothy(which means "honoring god"). Now that we've met, I'll get on topic.

"But do you admit it? Does your family know?"

I actually don't call myself a satanist. I prefer the term "anti-christ". But no, I don't admit it, except to my closest friends. Florida is a very conservative christian state(at least where I live) and I'm certain that being open about it would limit me severely.

Having said that, I long to move to a place with like-minded and mature folks. Free-thinkers, agnostics, atheists, humanists... anything but these anti-intellectual, christ-loving, fools.

So yeah, anyways... Glad to be here! I hope to meet some nice intelligent people!

#11808 - 09/25/08 07:15 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: SectorSophia]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
Welcome, Tim...

....but please keep forum introductions limited to the "New Member Introduction" thread.

Thank you.

#11826 - 09/25/08 06:13 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public to dark wind [Re: dark_wind]
twizted Offline
lurker

hey brother read ur thing but hey if people dont like you bein a satanist and is going to judge you cuz of your religon fuck em they arnt your true friend my whole family and friends know im a satanist and some dont talk to and the rest act like i never told em

Edited by twizted (09/25/08 06:14 PM)

#11836 - 09/25/08 07:51 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public to dark wind [Re: twizted]
Nemesis Offline

Jesus fucking Christ, your profile says you're 28, but I'll bet you're more like 13. If you can't put together a comprehensive post, with at least an ATTEMPT at grammar and capitalization, you'll become the newest addition to the Hall Of Shame.

#11851 - 09/25/08 08:54 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: The Zebu]
memphischick Offline
stranger

Loc: Memphis, Tennessee
I am proud to be a satanist and if no one likes it they can kiss my ass. I do have to keep it from my boss and co-workers because a few of them are really religious and they are always talking about God but I just block them out. I have always wondered though. Can you get fired from your job for being a satanist? I mean that is bullshit if it's true, we have rights also.

#11853 - 09/25/08 08:57 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: memphischick]
Nemesis Offline

Unless you're already in a high position within your company, the question is not "could I get fired for being a Satanist", but, "How would 'coming out' to my co-workers and employer affect my future raises and promotions?" Your boss might look for reasons to fire you that are legitimate simply because of your beliefs, and thus cannot be brought up in a lawsuit.

#11859 - 09/25/08 09:21 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: memphischick]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
You have no more basic rights than any other person. Just because you choose the label satanist, doesn't lump you in the special group. You can be fired for having visible tattoos or piercings. You can be fired for gossiping. If you cause a disruption in the work place, by dressing like a clown, flaunting your satanicness, showing your tits, arguing with your coworkers, you are a detriment to the company, and subject to the unemployment line. Same as any other person.

#11863 - 09/25/08 10:52 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: fakepropht]
blsk Offline

Loc: salem or
When ignorant people, especially christians, hear "satanist" they are very quick to think devil worshiper and they are just as quick not to ask. They think you sacrafice babies on christmas and set cats on fire, which I dont(unless they piss on my shit). So yes, Nemesis is right. They, seeing you as this vile creature will try to find any legitament reason to fire you.

#11871 - 09/26/08 09:25 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: blsk]
Ringmaster Offline

Loc: Salem Oregon
When it comes to being a satanist in public I would have to say yes I am, not because of clothes I wear, tatoos I have, but simply because of the way that I view things. How I act defines me as a satanist more then any of the material items that I posess. I find it quite funny how some xtains think that someone is a satanist simply because of their cloths and style of music they listen to. Being a satanist (in my opinion) is more about how you see the world and everyone in it, how you think and act, not the type of puchases you make in a store.
So even those satanist who haven't yet "come out of the closet" are satanists in public simply because of who they are and how they act.

#11879 - 09/26/08 01:13 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Ringmaster]
Fabiano Offline

It can't be more true. Obviously if we act as Satanists in public, one can say we're Satanists in public.

However, most of the poeple will not make the link between your behaviour and the Satanism.

The question then remains : do you admit, say or claim that you're a Satanist "in public". Or do you keepit for you. Or do you share it only with your close friends/familly.

I think I stay in the spirit of the initial post :

Quote:
But do you admit it? Does your family know? How about your friends?

Personnaly, I felt a kind of proselitism at the very begining of my discovery of Satanism. I did not hide it but refrained my proselitit pulsions. I just touched a word to some of my closest friend I knew they were enough open minded.

I had a small inverted cross tatoo on my left shoulder since I was 15. It was self made and wasn't quite beutifull. Lack of aestetic! Yesterday I went to a tatoo shop and I now have a 15cm inverted cross on my left shoulder. It's easily hideable (a T-shirt is enough) but you can't miss it when you see it.
I just followed my intuition and honestly I do not care much about what other people think...

The "Tatoo makers" asked me timidly about this inverted cross. I said nothing beforehand. I however aswered their question and we finished in a conversation where we concluded that Witnesses of Jehova were people who can't have any pleasure and Satanist are just the opposite ! I started to give an image of a dark silent man and ended if showing a funny, happy, satanist who knows what "feast" means !

Conclusion : Be proud but don't be stupid !

Fabiano

#11894 - 09/27/08 01:24 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Fabiano]
Ringmaster Offline

Loc: Salem Oregon
 Originally Posted By: Fabiano
It can't be more true. Obviously if we act as Satanists in public, one can say we're Satanists in public.

However, most of the poeple will not make the link between your behaviour and the Satanism.

With that being said, why is it important that others make the connection in the first place?? Is it your goal to make others know that you are a satanist? If so then the title is only being used to provoke some type of reaction. Now there is a difference in pride in who you are but that pride shouldn't be obtained by shouting out to the world about what you are. The pride that there is from (now this is just me I don't know about anyone else) KNOWING that I am different than everybody else not displaying for the attiention. I know several satanists who I would've never known they were satanists if it weren't for a necklace slipping out of their shirt or something little like that.
Now I don't outright display what I am HOWEVER if someone happens to stumble to the conclusion about it and ask I have no problem answering with "yes I am." But when it comes around to coming out of the proverbial closet and announcing it to the world no I do not. I think it would be more of a hinderance then a benefit, this is simply because of most people fearing that which they do not understand. I look at it as what can I gain from everyone rejecting me or fearing me simply because I am a satanist, really nothing. Nemesis you made a great point when it came to talking about the job thing.
All in all I find there is nothing to gain from outrigt proclaming to the world "I AM A SATANIST". I am perfectly happy and content for the moment keeping it that way due to self preservation.

#11895 - 09/27/08 06:19 AM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Ringmaster]
Fabiano Offline

It is not important that "that others make the connection in the first place".

It's a question of balance between being proud and not being stupid. Of course if you're sure that showing that you're a satanist can put you in trouble then hide it.
But on the other hand, we should not be shamefull to be satanists. Why should we?

It seems that I'm quite lucky as I'm in an environment where I do not need to hide it to preserve myself.
I do understand that for those living in more hostile environment must protect themselves. It's just a matter of not being stupid. But never be shamefull to be one of us !

#12003 - 09/29/08 08:34 PM Re: Are you a Satanist in public [Re: Fabiano]
Munki1 Offline
stranger

If it comes up in conversation, I just say I'm an athiest. Which is true, just not the whole truth. Not that I'm unwilling to lie.

My friends, family, and coworkers all know I'm an athiest. It's not a problem, some of them are too. Though others find it a curiosity.

Page 8 of 91 « First<678910>Last »

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.031 seconds of which 0.006 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.