Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#9593 - 06/14/08 07:52 PM Smart drugs
dark_wind Offline
stranger

Recently I stumbled upon a blog article about how the writer experimented with Provigil as a smart drug. In summary, the drug made him more productive, engergetic, thoughtful, etc. I'm personally against drug use of any kind. If you regularily use drugs, then ultimately it means you aren't strong enough to get by without them. The idea of functioning at a higher level with no extra effort intices me though. How about you?

Here's a link to the article in case you care to read it
http://www.johannhari.com/archive/article.php?id=1298

#9594 - 06/14/08 09:03 PM Re: Smart drugs [Re: dark_wind]
Fist Moderator Offline
veteran member

Loc: B'mo Cautious MF
 Quote:
If you regularily use drugs, then ultimately it means you aren't strong enough to get by without them.

That depends...

I would argue that a lot of people who use drugs would be better off without them.

However, drugs are mearly another of man's tools. If you are using them toward productive purposes then their use could be said to be 'good.' If you are using them toward counter-productive ends then their use is 'bad.'

But here is some food for thought on this subject in no particular order:

Smart Drugs. There are several book on this subject, but Dean Ward has done a good survey of this field.

Psychonaut - Start here. This should at least set you in the right direction to further explore this subject.

Field Research

All the same, it is by will alone I set my mind in motion....

#9610 - 06/15/08 04:07 PM Re: Smart drugs [Re: Fist]
dark_wind Offline
stranger

I agree that drugs can be a very useful tool. When you become dependent on them however, then you are no longer the one in control. This is especially true for addictive drugs like nicotine, and in my opinion, you can become dependent on any drug you use regularly.

That last website you linked to is quite interesting by the way. I'll definitely be spending some time there.

#9620 - 06/15/08 08:37 PM Re: Smart drugs [Re: dark_wind]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
How coincidental that you should post this.

My best friend is a professional harmecuticals representative and one of the drugs she represents is the one you mention on your post.

I also have health issues and my energy levels are not that of someone that isn't sick, partly due to my illness, but also caused by some of the medications that I am on.

Anyway, she has been talking to me about the wonders of provigil and has suggested that it could be beneficial to me. Now, I know that she is taught all about the drug and would only have my best interests in mind, so I'm sure she beleives it to be a safe and helpful product.

I am unsure though and relectant to just add another drug into my already heavily medicated routine. Funny though isn't it, that we have such a stigma about drugs being bad, that I would feel like that.

Now even though this drug is not an amphettemine, has no addictive qualities and no known, long lasting detrimental side effects, (it was developed for people with narcolepsy, although was tested in the armed forces with amazing results), I don't just beleive that it can be all good, with no bad results from 'cheating' how I feel naturally.

We have such a strong feeling of paranoia when it comes to drug companies, even though we are living longer than ever, alot of it due in fact to the drug companies many successful drugs that are available to us.

I guess the underlying feeling for me, is that there are generally some side effects with any path or choice you make in life, so it all comes down to weighing up as many of the facts as you can, before making a decision on it.

I am all for using perscription drugs in a positive way in your life. I'll let you know if I end up taking provigil about what I think of it. It would be great if it was as wonderful as my friend seems to beleive it is, (but I'm aware of the NLP that has gone into her being like that about it ;\))

Zeph

#9625 - 06/16/08 12:22 AM Re: Smart drugs [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Modesty Offline
stranger

Loc: Arkansas
All jokes aside, there isn't a smart enough drug to keep the bastards out of the padded rooms at the mental hospital I work at.

I wish there was, but there are just some disorders that drugs have no affect on.

#9628 - 06/16/08 10:27 AM Re: Smart drugs [Re: ZephyrGirl]
PigFeeder Offline

Loc: Near Montreal, QC
 Originally Posted By: ZephyrGirl
I am unsure though and relectant to just add another drug into my already heavily medicated routine. Funny though isn't it, that we have such a stigma about drugs being bad, that I would feel like that.

Now even though this drug is not an amphettemine, has no addictive qualities and no known, long lasting detrimental side effects, (it was developed for people with narcolepsy, although was tested in the armed forces with amazing results), I don't just beleive that it can be all good, with no bad results from 'cheating' how I feel naturally.

We have such a strong feeling of paranoia when it comes to drug companies, even though we are living longer than ever, alot of it due in fact to the drug companies many successful drugs that are available to us.

I guess the underlying feeling for me, is that there are generally some side effects with any path or choice you make in life, so it all comes down to weighing up as many of the facts as you can, before making a decision on it.

Of course, it would be ignorant not to question everything we do, including taking drugs that someone else tells us are safe. Don't depend on others opinions, find the truth, find the lies, prove them wrong or prove yourself wrong. A principle straight from TSB; even LaVey knew that one.

PErsonally, I think the reason you Zeph, among sooo many others afraid of or againts taking drugs, resolve to taking them, is because there is always a chance it will help you more than it will be negative. All in all, you have to weigh the facts, and decide what is benifitial to you.

I did not previously know you were sick or had an illness, so I will say, that's too bad, and I hope you do/can get better. I don't know what illness it is, so I will tred on thin ice here and say, "What dpesn't kill us, only makes us stronger". Hopefully in your case, you are/will be getting stronger.

HAve a pleasant day,

~Snow~.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.019 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.