Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#96 - 09/04/07 01:44 AM The lives of Witches as told by Tyra Banks
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
Well, much to my surprise today on turning on Cable today I caught a Tyra Banks episode that aired in the US on teh 28th August.

http://tyrashow.warnerbros.com/show_recaps/show_recap_mon73.html
is the link.

It quite succinctly sums up the views of the guests although doesn't mention Tyra's final word to the audience that she 'needed to burn some sage' as she had the 'heebiegeebies'.

I thought that Stanton's summerization of Satanism as 50% anti religion and 50% artistic expression a very interesting one.

Anyone else out there see the show and if so, what did you think?

Zeph

#108 - 09/04/07 06:02 PM Re: The lives of Witches as told by Tyra Banks [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Trismegistus Offline
stranger

First of all, I've always thought that Tyra is nothing more then a media apparatus, so I don't place much prominence on her or anything on her show. Secondly, going by that link, I don't agree with Stanton's summerization. One can affiliate with Satanism and not compose artistic expression of any sort. As well, as a die-hard Marilyn Manson fan, I can say without a doubt that he is not a satanist. He incorporates particular elements from it into his ideology, but not alot.
Perhaps I'm just being too much a partitionist about this, though.

It's really not relevant, but wasn't this topic on the past forum?

#109 - 09/04/07 06:59 PM Re: The lives of Witches as told by Tyra Banks [Re: Trismegistus]
undeadridinghood Offline
pledge

Loc: Washington State
Wardrobe is so important...

I don't know. I've always liked Tyra, since I grew up with that Disney movie with her as a barbie doll thing that comes to life when Lindsay Lohan casts a spell from an old spellbook. I also watch Top Model (but just because I'm a pop culture whore). This show seems kind of stupid though, the way it takes a few people's personal experience and uses it as a generalization for reality.

I know Manson doesn't proclaim to be a satanist, but the way he talks about it (and meeting LaVey) in his (albeit old) autobiography, he seems more than just incorporating a few elements into his ideology.

#110 - 09/04/07 07:06 PM Re: The lives of Witches as told by Tyra Banks [Re: Trismegistus]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
Was it? I missed it on the past forum? What forum was it under, I thought I got around to reading everything before it was taken down. My bad. Unfortunately we don't air TV at the exact same time as you Americans, something we have absolutely no control over.

Of course Tyra is a media apparatus, she was a goddam Model for fucks sake. I was interested that she did a show like this to be honest and thought that it scared her was hysterical. I thought it especially funny that in wanating to burn sage, she was practising an ancient pagan clensing ritual, but that was obviously lost on you.

I also appreciated that the synopsis was a fairly good reflection of what was said, instead of being misleading bullshit. I never said I agreed with anything said, but found Stantons interpretation was interesting. He is after all the Grandchild of one of the founders of modern Satanism and probably has a very good understanding of what LaVey was trying to portray. That tends to happen in families as when you get together around the holidays (whether you believe in them or not), often you talk about what you hold dear, be that religion, art, politics or a myriad of different beliefs.

Do I idolize LeVay? Not in the slightest, he comes across as a mysogonistic wanker. Do I respect him for having an opinion and getting out there and making it work from him, absolutely.

I tend to see what Stanton said about artistic expression as a dumbing down of what I see Satanism as really standing for and that is expression of the self. And saying that the using of the figure of Satan as the adversary was very apt. I think he was realistic in who his audience was going to be on the show and tried to make the most of a very limited amount of time to portray himself and his wife as being more than just devil worshippers, something they actually got to deny.

Are you being too much of a partitionist, maybe,but your opinion is and always will be yours to partition in any form you desire.

#119 - 09/05/07 12:20 AM Re: The lives of Witches as told by Tyra Banks [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Trismegistus Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: ZephyrGirl
Was it? I missed it on the past forum? What forum was it under, I thought I got around to reading everything before it was taken down.

The idea of Stanton on Tyra being discussed just rings a bell with me for some reason. I could easily have it confused with something else. My memory on the subject is rather obscure regardless.

Of course Tyra is a media apparatus, she was a goddam Model for fucks sake.

Of course. I just meant that I don't believe she is the anomalous individual that she is perceived as. I don't personally know anybody that thinks she is, but I figured that plenty do if she was placed in the ranks of Time magazine's 100 most influential people. Or perhaps the definition of "influential" that Time uses is unique.

I thought it especially funny that in wanating to burn sage, she was practising an ancient pagan clensing ritual, but that was obviously lost on you.

I noticed it, and it is indeed interesting, but it wasn't particulary relevant to anything I was saying in my post. Upon a second evaluation, though, I see that I probably could of fit that in somewhere.
He is after all the Grandchild of one of the founders of modern Satanism and probably has a very good understanding of what LaVey was trying to portray. That tends to happen in families as when you get together around the holidays (whether you believe in them or not), often you talk about what you hold dear, be that religion, art, politics or a myriad of different beliefs.

Being his Grandchild probably offers him more perceptivity on the subject, and he easily knows more then the layman, but what LaVey was trying to portray wasn't much of a recondite subject.

I tend to see what Stanton said about artistic expression as a dumbing down of what I see Satanism as really standing for and that is expression of the self. And saying that the using of the figure of Satan as the adversary was very apt. I think he was realistic in who his audience was going to be on the show and tried to make the most of a very limited amount of time to portray himself and his wife as being more than just devil worshippers, something they actually got to deny.

I don't have much input here, but I agree. Strict interpretation of Satanic dogma being the subjective and visceral thing it is, it's a good requisite to understanding the ideology.

#120 - 09/05/07 12:56 AM Re: The lives of Witches as told by Tyra Banks [Re: Trismegistus]
Syn Holliday Offline
lurker

What does being a Marilyn Manson groupie have to do with validating your credibility for judging whether someone is a Satanist or not? It's completely irrelevant. Marilyn Manson is just a rock star, an entertainer.

~Syn~

#137 - 09/05/07 11:09 PM Re: The lives of Witches as told by Tyra Banks [Re: Syn Holliday]
Trismegistus Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Syn Holliday
What does being a Marilyn Manson groupie have to do with validating your credibility for judging whether someone is a Satanist or not?

It's just a very common and easy to make misconception that he is a Satanist. He at one time identified himself as such, but his philosophy and ideology differs too much now.

On topic (kind of), I will give credit where it's due and admit that Tyra is more dexterous with the topics she covers than most. As such, her show is more apt at portraying "The lives of Witches" than many other talks shows out there.

#932 - 10/06/07 11:03 PM Re: The lives of Witches as told by Tyra Banks [Re: Trismegistus]
Samuel Hain Offline
pledge

Loc: arkansas
What a better world it would be if the earth opened up and swallowed all TV hosts including Oprah Winfrey and Jerry Springer. But then of course they would be promptly spit out because ,unlike the cosmopolitan, Wall Mart loving, dumbed down masses, the devil has standards and certainly doesn't want to spend all eternity with such bores and losers.
#941 - 10/07/07 05:39 AM Re: The lives of Witches as told by Tyra Banks [Re: Samuel Hain]
ICouldBuyYouAll Offline
stranger

Loc: Expensive
Why is it that every time the "apparent" elusive meaning of Satanism pops up that someone has to go and mention Marilyn Manson?

What's so difficult to understand?

He was given the honor of reverend.

That's it.

He just shares SOME of the beliefs. he also shares some ideas from Christianity and a variety of other religions.

That's it...whats so hard to understand about that?

I'm not surprised by the fact that Tyra Banks did a show like this. Her and every other yuppie Talk Show Host does these types of shows from time to time to strictly scare and shock mainstream America first and foremost.

Banks, Rivera, Raphael and the lot of those bastards aren't in the slightest bit concerned about Satanism nor are they doing it for reasons of awareness or education.

They know topics like these are controversial and controversy means ratings and ratings mean money.

They treat Satanism and other misunderstood subjects like a circus freak and the admission is as simple as turning on your television set.

And the guest who come on to these shows usually get talked down to, patronized and get cut off in mid sentence so their words can be twisted to fit with whatever "evil" interpretation the host wants to project.

Because when you control the language, you control the argument.

It's an hour of mind numbing diversion of attention to the more important issues that are going on in the world.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.023 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.