Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1837 - 11/13/07 04:03 AM Re: Music... [Re: Equilibrio]
Traversez589 Offline
stranger

Loc: Minnesota
Interesting...as far as the whole dark and ambient thing have you ever heard of the band Sunn O))). They are a hard band to get in to mainly because they play a note every thirty seconds or so but for ritual use they are good. Also as far as the stoner/rock genre, I do not know if you are in to heavier stuff like High on Fire, Electric Wizard, Acid Kind and on another note Isis and Neurosis.I would highly recommend them. Also old Clutch's older stoner stuff is very good.

Does anybody here listen to Marilyn Manson. The guitar work on his more recent stuff is not the best but "Portrait of an American Family" may very well be one of the best alternative records of the 90's next to Tool'Aenima. Both records broke down a lot of barriers with their song writing againt religion and various political issues. Also if any of you have picked up "Eat Me, Drink Me"...Manson's new record you should try and give it a listen it shows some of his best song writing. If most of you listen to alternative/hard rock stations I am sure you have heard "You and Me and the Devil makes 3." It isn't the type of thing you will hear on the radio often.

#1987 - 11/17/07 09:05 PM Re: Music... [Re: Traversez589]
sludge grave Offline
stranger

Loc: Ukraine - Xarkiv
Sunn 0))) ? I'm more then impressed that some body here knows them, cheers my friend, those are really good.

On topic, One of my most beloved bands are Beherit, their old albums were awesome, true unholy black metal... sadly as most of the great bands they die. they switched to dark ambient for having most of members leaving the band.

As for other bands i would never say no to gorgoroth or nargaroth, the playing, the drumming, the lyrics are just true black and brilliant.

#1989 - 11/17/07 09:45 PM Re: Music... [Re: sludge grave]
rob_church Offline

Loc: alberta , canada
my favorite band of late is behemoth

heres a song for ya

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=4...earch&plindex=3

#1990 - 11/17/07 09:51 PM Re: Music... [Re: rob_church]
sludge grave Offline
stranger

Loc: Ukraine - Xarkiv
 Originally Posted By: rob_church
my favorite band of late is behemoth

heres a song for ya

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=4...earch&plindex=3

Another great band, sadly they became blackened death metal after their 2004 album.

#2011 - 11/19/07 08:58 AM Re: Music... [Re: Traversez589]
Sinistar Offline

Loc: New York City
Yes, I've had "Eat Me,Drink Me" for a few months now. I thought that it was Manson's best work, lyrically. My favorites on that c.d. are "Red Carpet Grave" and "You And Me And The Devil Makes 3".

Behemoth is good. Right now, my 2 favorites are Heaven Shall Burn ("Deaf To Our Prayers") and Dimmu Borgir ("In Sorte Diaboli"). Not exactly brand new but pretty current.

#2019 - 11/19/07 12:20 PM Re: Music... [Re: Sinistar]
The Blackangel Offline

Loc: Missouri
Personally my taste in music hasn't changed much. I still listen to the stuff from the 80's, what I grew up on. Warrant, White Lion, Cinderella, Firehouse, you know all the long haired rockers. But I have added a little bit since then. Disturbed has tickled my fancy, as have Insane Clown Posse, Twiztid, and the rest of the artists signed to Psychopathic Records. I tend to mainly stick to underground music anyway. I recently started liking Cradle of Filth and Arch Enemy just to name a couple of the black metal bands that I listen to.

#2022 - 11/19/07 03:45 PM Re: Music... [Re: The Blackangel]
Sinistar Offline

Wow, you just took me back to my high school days! Look up the "Counterculture" thread, "The 80's" subject.

Which Disturbed c.d. have you been listening to? I thought that "Believe" was the best one so far even though I liked all of them. Their lyrics are great. Disturbed is very underrated.

Cradle Of Filth and Arch Enemy are givens.

#2036 - 11/19/07 05:29 PM Re: Music... [Re: Sinistar]
Meq Offline
Banned

I loved Cradle of Filth's "Jesus is a Cunt" T-shirt.

You'd have to be pretty stupid though to make an ass of yourself and wear it in certain public areas, even without the risk of arrest.

Still, it was damn funny ;\)

#2076 - 11/20/07 08:55 AM Re: Music... [Re: Meq]
Sinistar Offline

That shirt looks strictly like a concert shirt and you have to wear a jacket over it for your travel time. Or else The Crusaders will get you...

I read somewhere that Cradle Of Filth aren't really Satanists, but Luciferians!

I'd love to check out the chat room, but I keep having tech problems when I try to enter it.

#2152 - 11/23/07 02:06 AM Re: Music... [Re: Sinistar]
I.C. Graves Offline
stranger

I've found that I'm most productive as a song writer when I'm angry. I can write in other moods but most of my short rants had to come from being pissed off. I'm in my mid 30's and still listen to plenty of angry metal/punk/hardcore in addition to music I never thought I'd ever listen to when I was a young angry man.

As far as Stoner Rock goes, see Nebula. They write plenty of songs about distancing yourself from the shit that we call society and finding yourself. Not to mention they have a snippet of Crowley in their song "The Beast" from "Atomic Ritual".

#2160 - 11/23/07 07:55 AM Re: Music... [Re: I.C. Graves]
jesusbeater Offline
pledge

Loc: Ireland
Any tool or a perfect circle fans out there.I'm a big metal fan listen to every thing from Death Metal to Guns and Roses and even some electrnica.However I haven't really come across any new bands over the last while that have really turned my head so I was just curious to see if any one could recommend any new bands similar to tool or a perfect circle or even In Flames

#2168 - 11/23/07 01:34 PM Re: Music... [Re: jesusbeater]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
I listen to a fairly wide variety of music, though it's majorally in the Rock genre...metal, alternative (the "good" alternative, think early and mid-90's), electronica. Some of my favorites are In Flames, Mudvayne, Lacuna Coil, Perfect Circle and Tool, old Deftones, Stabbing Westward, Linkin Park, Bloodsimple, Killswitch Engage, Slipknot, Otep, Marilyn Manson (old stuff), The Offspring, Nirvana, Soundgarden, etc.

I really honestly can't stand so-called "Death Metal" or "Black Metal", mostly because it consists of 3-5 unshaven, scraggly-haired ugly fuckers with no vocal talent whatsoever and their riffs consist of nothing but downtuned chords. However, I have heard several bands where their music is fucking fantastic, but then the lead singer opens his mouth and it completely ruins it. Like Archenemy. I think she is a shitty vocalist. The rest of the band doesn't hold up well either, imo.

I enjoy a bit of harmony in my metal. A little bit of thought and effort. Putting your lips around the mic and doing a shitty death-growl is pathetic. Same goes for the guitar and bass. It's nothing new and all those kinds of bands sound too alike to really stand out. Blah.

But then, that's just me......

#2184 - 11/24/07 04:25 AM Re: Music... [Re: jesusbeater]
Traversez589 Offline
stranger

Loc: Minnesota
Well if you like good metal, Mastodon is one of the best bands I have just about ever heard. Meshuggah (my fave band of all time), The Dillinger Escape Plan and Between the Buried and Me are my favorites for tech-thrash/progressive. If you listen to any black metal I would recommend Satyricon, Dimmu Borgir, Cryptopsy and as mentioned before Behemoth are great. Children of Bodom, Opeth, The Haunted.."REvolver", their latest CD is superb, and Darkane are all bands I listen to on a regular basis and would recommend for someone who listens to In Flames.

As far as finding bands similar to tool and APC it is pretty hard seeing as how just about every modern rock band tries to imitate them...bands like chevelle and others not even worth mentioning. You could check out Maynard's other band Puscifer. They don't really resemble tool or APC that much but are good (think of "Counting Bodies Like Sheep")...something along those lines. Otherwise the Deftones and Neurosis are good bands similar to tool. Mike Patton (Faith No More, Fantomas, Tomahawk) also creates some of the best music in that genre. Maybe you would enjoy Tomahawk quite a bit I know I do.

#2188 - 11/24/07 06:22 AM Re: Music... [Re: Traversez589]
undeadridinghood Offline
pledge

Loc: Washington State
Manson is basically all I listen to. I have, like, four tee-shirts that I wear all the time (new ones, from the new album, just bought one today actually, it's in the wash as I type) and I bought all of the albums on C.D. from Amazon.com about 6 months ago. Before that I was listening to stolen music, but I felt that I wanted the C.D.s themselves, for the album art, the lyrics, and the legitimacy, I suppose. My last boyfriend actually felt that he had to compete with Manson for my affection for the first month or so, until he realized that I'm a much deeper person than the little fangirl I appear to be.

I love the new album, too, as much as his old stuff, though Holywood will always be my favorite album. I've found that most people who are fans of his work hate EMDM. I agree with those here who have said that it's his strongest work, lyrically. I scoff at those who say that all of the songs sound the same (a girl in my gym class said this once), because I see a lot of individuality in each song. They carry similar themes, musically, but so does all of the rest of his work. He makes a point to make albums like musical theater, where a single melody is carried from song to song in different variations. Many albums repeat seamlessly, with the end of the last track blending into the beginning of the first.

My favorite songs on EMDM are "Are you the Rabbit," "Mutilation is the Most Sincere Form of Flattery," and "Putting Holes in Happiness." Honestly, I don't think I've ever really listened to the song "Eat ME, Drink ME" all the way through while paying attention. I've played it in the car, but never really listened to it. I don't really know why.

A lot of people I know say that the new album is too soft, that it's emo, that he's giving in to what the public wants. I wonder, if he's giving in to our current Western fads, then why is he mostly touring in Eastern Europe and Asia? Really irritating in fact, I wish he'd done at least one concert in Seattle or Tacoma or something. Grrr... I just hope I see him live at some point before he dies... He's getting kind of old, by self-abusing, cokehead standards.

#2198 - 11/24/07 03:21 PM Re: Music... [Re: Traversez589]
jesusbeater Offline
pledge

Loc: Ireland
just recently got into mastadon after hearing their new track on aqua teen movie.Really like Clutch too.
Got the Puscifer album and like it alot.Very different from his other stuff.Some of it is similar to stuff from the Tape Worm Project.
REAlly big Mike Patton fan as well.Got the Peepeing Tom album just the other day and have gone nuts about it already, Have the Fantomas album with the soundtrack covers and think its a work of genius.Think Mike Patton has and is years ahead of the pack and would lve to see him get the recognition he deserves.
Used to be a fan of Manson, but started going off him since Holwood.Think he's a great human being though but think he lost it for me.Do admire what he's done on the new album as it's obviously the type of music he likes at the moment so its seems like he didn't do an album for commercial reasons.he is maturing as an artist and am looking forward to he'sdebut as a filmmaker.

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.