Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#9606 - 06/15/08 03:15 AM Design.....
Nemesis13 Offline
stranger

Loc: Pennington Gap, VA
Guys,

One of my hobbies in my spare time is art. I love to draw and play with my photoshop but I am ata blank.

I am looking for some inspiration/ideas for a new tattoo to symbolize my satanic/humanistic side of by persona.

So I am reaching out to my fellowhip of free thinkers to help me out in this quest.

Any help?

#10190 - 07/12/08 12:26 PM Re: Design..... [Re: Nemesis13]
Rose Offline
stranger

Loc: No ones concern
Hm personally I find that mediating helps get rid of those blocks. Even just sitting outside might help. That's all the help I can give though at least in this situation XD.

With Love,
Rose

Edited by Rose (07/12/08 12:27 PM)

#10192 - 07/12/08 03:52 PM Re: Design..... [Re: Rose]
Engel08 Offline
stranger

Loc: California
I don't know I feel that if I give you too much my own tattoo might be designed.
But I'm sure you don't have my own view on human beings and their tight connection to the earth.

Think of human being and think of what you symbolize as Satanism.Possibly a DaVinci upside down? A solid black and white ink line drawing of a person curled into a ball and various elements emanating from a center. Or possibly overshadowed by a slightly shaded Pentagram.

I don't know your views.

Think of some of your favorite symbols, stories, gestures.
Look for stock photos.
Fuck with the stock images in photoshop so they look like ink or paint them redraw them.

Tattoo designs are fairly difficult to come up with or perfect. I JUST finished one for a coworker. Half sleeve. Whew.

And am now struggling with my own new one.
I have a tendency of wanting all of my symbols together...I can only afford a few or a small one.

Like to symbolize my interest in alchemy, and Baphomet I thought of having Coagula/Solve tattooed on my arms. Also Possibly just a symbol for Mercury and Sulpher Since they are the chemical equivalents.

Just introspect and get out a bunch of resource books and possibly tattoo mags and a composition notebook and just...fucking brainstorm and compile
brainstorm and compile
That's all that you can do.

And do it for a few months.

When it comes to design you have to make an outline of what you are looking for
Make notes and sketches
Sketch thumbnails(50)
draw roughs(3)
Finalize
Those are the steps in designing logo. I believe that many artists also use the same system to some degree.

Think of location first. Or if you are not finding your own body of inspiration(Sounds strange but I like to visualize general shadow of what is possible first.
Or think of location after.
Because location of a tattoo designs affects the composition.

#10196 - 07/12/08 04:24 PM Re: Design..... [Re: Engel08]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

The person you are responding to has not been on since the 21 of last month so perhaps he is past his artistic block… The best way to have a tattoo designed is to have the actual “artist” draw the tattoo him/herself… If they cannot get a design together for you perhaps it is time for a new tattoo artist, one that works in the style you are looking for…

I have seen very few who do not work in the industry pull off designing a tattoo ready for skin… Only a person who works in skin can truly have an idea about the limitations of the medium… So as a Tattoo Artist my opinion is gather reference material including but not limited to you or your friends drawings… Bring them to your artist and do not be surprised or stubborn when they begin to tell you the changes that need to be made to make a good tattoo out of your ideas…

As far as getting out of an artistic slump I agree with Rose… Grab a sketchpad and a few pencils and hang out at the beach or the forest and just doodle…

While Photoshop is a very powerful tool, sometimes dragging a pencil on paper is what is needed to start a great piece of artwork… Do not forget the basics and never forget what came before you…

Peace

~T~

#10198 - 07/12/08 04:55 PM Re: Design..... [Re: ta2zz]
Engel08 Offline
stranger

Loc: California
I agree with you on this or if one does do their own design or have a friend do it for them then they must be open to a tattoo artists modifications ect on that design. So it can work in the medium of flesh.

I would normally say the same thing about asking a real tattoo artist first as well.

I forgot to check the date on the poster.

#10294 - 07/19/08 11:05 AM Re: Design..... [Re: Engel08]
SevenDeadlySins Offline
stranger

Loc: chicago illinois
I think one shouldn't try so hard to create. When I write music I usually just let it come. It's very hard to get past the block in ideas when you are stressed. I would go do whatever makes you relxed and enjoy your life. You'll get the inspiration just don't linger on "trying".

#10297 - 07/19/08 04:00 PM Re: Design..... [Re: SevenDeadlySins]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Originally Posted By: SevenDeadlySins
I think one shouldn't try so hard to create. When I write music I usually just let it come.

I agree when I do a tattoo I get my basic outline down and pull the rest out of the air… If I figure it all out on paper first it never comes out as good or it takes five times longer to execute…

Perhaps this just strengthens the fact that we have chosen our correct path in life or at least we have discovered and use our natural talent… I can tell you from experience that in trying to learn to play the guitar I have been told many times to just loosen up and let it happen and it doesn’t do shit for me… I believe we can tell someone that from now until the rock in my yard starts singing opera… You either have something or you don’t…

It's very hard to get past the block in ideas when you are stressed.

Originally this thread started with Nemesis13 saying “One of my hobbies in my spare time is art.” Therefore he/she should be under very little stress over a hobby…

I would go do whatever makes you relxed and enjoy your life. You'll get the inspiration just don't linger on "trying".

In my opinion most artists do their best work when stressed and during times of personal suffering… Stress and suffering has a way of pushing an artist beyond their normal bounds…

Is a true artist ever totally satisfied with his/her own level of creation?

Peace

~T~

#10319 - 07/22/08 12:03 PM Re: Design..... [Re: ta2zz]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
"Is a true artist ever totally satisfied with his/her own level of creation?"

Sometimes, you just know when its done...

Otherwise a piece of mine (painting) will sit for years until I go back to work on it because I now "know" what was absent.

Morgan

#10320 - 07/22/08 12:30 PM Re: Design..... [Re: Morgan]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Yes but even if it feels done are we simply just giving into the fact that we cannot make it any better? Do you not always wish you could do more or better art? Never getting quite close enough to the vision in our head...

I've been behind a person in line at the store... Looking at his tattoo on his elbow of a web I sat in awe... The shading was excellent and even as it was a fairly common tattoo it stuck out... Who is this artist? I found myself wishing I was as good as he...

So he pays for his gas and turns around smiles and goes hey Al longtime no see... My goodness the artist was me...

I guess I'm asking do we fully see our own greatness or are we all so critical as to see our own work through muddied glass...

Perhaps tattooing has left me humbled...

~T~

#10322 - 07/22/08 08:47 PM Re: Design..... [Re: ta2zz]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
"Yes but even if it feels done are we simply just giving into the fact that we cannot make it any better? Do you not always wish you could do more or better art? Never getting quite close enough to the vision in our head..."

Sometimes, knowing when it is done, is the best that it should be. Always, wish for more time to do, to create, but we should always do the best, not just phone it in. I try to do the vision in my head, sometimes, the canvas shows me what needs to be done before i pick up the brush.

"I guess I'm asking do we fully see our own greatness or are we all so critical as to see our own work through muddied glass..."

We are always our own worse critic, and I hate critics.
As much as I love my work, I was suprised when I was part of a show how much other people loved my work as well.
I think because it is part of us, we dont always see it clearly.

Morgan

#10330 - 07/23/08 04:23 AM Re: Design..... [Re: Morgan]
Satansfarm Offline

Loc: america
The artistic block is a common problem. I believe it is caused by being overly saturated. By that, I mean that you have been concentrating on art for such a long time that you have dug deep furrows in your synaptic circuits. Nothing seems, good, you have been down this road too many times already. I suggest that you take a break to clear your mind. Do something else. Play music, or go see a play. Work on your computer or plan a wonderful meal. When you return to your art project, your mind will be fresh and more responsive to visual imagery.
#10333 - 07/23/08 02:24 PM Re: Design..... [Re: ta2zz]
Isabel Offline
stranger

Loc: N. California
"I've been behind a person in line at the store... Looking at his tattoo on his elbow of a web I sat in awe... The shading was excellent and even as it was a fairly common tattoo it stuck out... Who is this artist? I found myself wishing I was as good as he...

So he pays for his gas and turns around smiles and goes hey Al longtime no see... My goodness the artist was me..."

That is really a neat story! I too tend to be very critical of my art. I always see something that I think I could have done better, but those who never developed the skill will always be enthralled by the art of one who has. I myself have been at a road block for awhile in my art. Once in a while I will pick up a pen and doodle something that is on my mind but that seems to be as far as I take it. I know I will get back into it soon but I do need a bit of a break for now.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.025 seconds of which 0.001 seconds were spent on 25 queries. Zlib compression disabled.