Page 5 of 5 <12345
Topic Options
#107602 - 07/17/16 05:31 PM Re: FCC: Adversarial Force to Open Internet [Re: Creatura Noptii]
Czereda Offline

Loc: Poland
 Quote:
Well, the reply is in regard to your post and what the article says about people needing faster mobile rates.

I say, shit's already dumb enough.

Actually, the behaviors you described have little to do with the quality of the internet connection. You can reduce the internet speed to GSM and the idiots will still find ways to waste their time. Moreover, no internet is necessary to indulge in stupid entertainment.

I don't know if you remember those old DOS games. My cousin spent the whole days playing them when he was young. Whenever we went to visit my auntie, he sat with us at a table only for a couple of minutes and then he ran to his room to molest his joystick. Is his computer to blame that he hasn't read even one book in his life? Perhaps, he simply doesn't like reading.

The internet is just a tool. It is a well of knowledge. It gives you an access to the books that are hard to find in your local library or bookstore. There are movies, documentaries, news articles etc. Games have never attracted me.

#107604 - 07/18/16 10:42 AM Re: FCC: Adversarial Force to Open Internet [Re: Czereda]
Creatura Noptii Offline

I remember making the same points in another post somewhere. I think it was in reference to what might happen if everyone turned off their screens for a month. How would people cope? I can't say one month is enough time. Maybe three.

Its like the end of a great novel I once read.

Will people learn?

IDK.

#111421 - 02/10/17 09:43 AM Re: FCC: Adversarial Force to Open Internet [Re: SIN3]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Loc: Virginia
Update on Net Neutrality under the Trump Administration: Is Net Neutrality Dead?

Quote:
While net neutrality will carry on, it’s difficult to see exactly what shape it will take. Chairman Pai, newly appointed to head the commission by President Trump, has already started the process of targeting what he deems to be onerous regulations originating from Open Internet rules.

Jamison argues these changes will lead to faster introductions of new services, with the possibility of creating a “more dynamic digital ecosystem as networking providers introduce more features for content providers that increase value, and collaborate with content providers to customize networking features.”

Targeting regulations interprets to killing Net Neutrality to biased journalists but it doesn't seem as though its on the chopping block. It appears that it's more likely this:

Quote:
Challenges to Open Internet rules have already been mounted, and the FCC under the Obama administration was aggressive in its pursuit to stomp out what it deemed to be anti-competitive.

Quote:
Essentially, the FCC would just put a hold on using its regulatory powers and allow carriers to pursue business how they see fit. The first sign of this approach was delivered when chairman Pai closed the commission’s investigation into the zero rating practices of carriers. The decision put an end to a major area of inquiry from the Wheeler era of the FCC and was the first major blow to net neutrality rules.

That's the update.

#112564 - 04/27/17 11:20 AM Re: FCC: Adversarial Force to Open Internet [Re: SIN3]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

FCC Press Release - Net Neutrality

Quote:
But two years ago, the federal government’s approach suddenly changed. The FCC, on a party - line vote, decided to impose a set of heavy -handed reg
ulations upon the Internet. It decided to slap an old regulatory framework called “Title II” —original ly designed in the 1930s for the Ma Bell telephone monopoly
—upon thousands of Internet service providers, big and small. It decided to put the federal government at the center of the Internet.

Why? Unfortunately, the answer has nothing to do with the l aw or the facts. Nothing about the Internet was broken in 2015. Nothing about the law had changed. And there wasn’t a rash of Internet service providers blocking customers from accessing the content, applications, or services of their choice.

The FCC is meeting in May and the aim appears to reverse the Net Neutrality ruling.

"Pai argues that overturning the rules will create jobs, boost competition, bring high-speed internet access to more Americans and protect online privacy." source

The "Common Carrier" classification was just an over-reach of Obama's administration. I think Pai has the right view, what say you?

#114087 - 08/22/17 10:41 AM Re: FCC: Adversarial Force to Open Internet [Re: SIN3]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Now the masses are reaching out with polls to push Congress to make a ruling on the issue.

Attempts to reclassify broadband have been unsuccessful because people understand the attempt enough to want to keep it deregulated.

Ajit Pai continues to explain his reasons for wanting to scrap the whole thing. See: PBS Newshour special. Primarily, he sees the rules in place as obstacles to innovation and competition.

What say you? Do you think he's wrong? If so, why?

#115300 - 11/27/17 11:41 AM Re: FCC: Adversarial Force to Open Internet [Re: SIN3]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Update on FCC & Net Neutrality

In recent weeks we've seen the SJW's take to Social Media to spread their rhetoric. I'm even less convinced today than I was in 2015.

Ajit Pai remains unmoved by it as well.

The FCC involvement coupled with declaring it a utility, and the recent social shift towards more involvement of the government in an open Internet; isn't exactly going to change many minds. Well, at least those that actually think anyway.

Where do you stand today on Net Neutrality?

#115371 - 12/15/17 09:38 AM Re: FCC: Adversarial Force to Open Internet [Re: SIN3]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

The FCC is doing the right thing

Quote:
The internet has changed significantly in the past 20 years, and there is growing consensus around the need to revisit our 1990s internet laws. But only through congressional action is it possible to preserve the crucial freedom to innovate that allows us to lead the world’s tech economy, while also preventing tech and telecom companies from abusing market power and engaging in anti-consumer practices. What’s missing is the political will to craft an effective and bipartisan solution, and to rise above continued efforts to posture and further the partisan divide.

Finally, some sanity. For all you people that thought "Net Neutrality" was a good idea. Get Lit

April Fact Sheet

#115394 - 12/19/17 09:32 AM Re: FCC: Adversarial Force to Open Internet [Re: SIN3]
Sabrina27 Offline

Didn't a lot of start ups in the past succeeded due to lower competition? There weren't much conglomerates on the Internet.

#117801 - 12/21/18 10:26 AM Re: FCC: Adversarial Force to Open Internet [Re: SIN3]
SIN3 Offline
stalker

Source

Quote:
As of October, the U.S. ranked seventh in the world in broadband and 43rd in mobile download speeds — a slight increase in rank from last year. Broadband is twice as fast as mobile. Broadband speed growth is also outpacing mobile. The rollout of 5G mobile connections should help.

Net Neutrality was always bullshit.

Page 5 of 5 <12345

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.039 seconds of which 0.025 seconds were spent on 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.