Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#12689 - 10/15/08 11:35 AM Re: Spelling, this forum, the internet, and you... [Re: The Evil Eye]
The Evil Eye Offline
stranger

Loc: Chicago, IL
Also on a side note, I thought this board had an automatic spellcheck. It wouldn't be a bad idea..

#12691 - 10/15/08 11:42 AM Re: Spelling, this forum, the internet, and you... [Re: The Evil Eye]
DistroyA Offline

Loc: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
If anything, the only thing I encourage is the proper usage of paragraphs, full stops, question marks, etc. I couldn't care less if words are misspelled accidentally, so lng as dey dnt luk lyk dis (Fuck, that hurts my eyes...). Spelling something like a chav or like you were typing a text message out on a restrictive phone or phone budget on a forum isn't the best way to go. I just makes you look like a retard.

Really, and truthfully, this isn't the problem I've noticed more on these forums. Something not as noticeable per se, but I've noticed it a lot, and it really pisses me off.

#12692 - 10/15/08 12:21 PM Re: Spelling, this forum, the internet, and you... [Re: The Evil Eye]
Nemesis Offline

Loc: US
There is a free app for Internet Explorer called ieSpell... I've downloaded it and it works. I mostly use Opera anyway, which comes with a spell checker.

As for having one on the site, you'd have to take that up with Xear. He's the head honcho here, along with Disabuse. Personally I don't think one is necessary. The few who can't bother to spell correctly 95% of the time tend not to last very long around here.

Some people are irked by "spelling Nazis", and forums who run a tight ship like we try to do. That's fine for them, they certainly don't have to join. If they're perfectly okay with forums that consist of nothing but a bastardization of the English language and as you mentioned, random stoned posts, then we'd rather not have them ;\)

#12702 - 10/15/08 03:38 PM Re: Spelling, this forum, the internet, and you... [Re: Nemesis]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Personally I think How a person presents themselves online is often indicative of how they present themselves in person. The same people that can't be bothered to use capitalization or punctuation are often the same people that don't bother to brush their teeth or use deodorant.
The same people that are lazy about checking their spelling are often also lazy about how they conduct their daily life.

And even if these things aren't always true, lazy writing is still a sign of lazy thinking.

#12704 - 10/15/08 03:52 PM Re: Spelling, this forum, the internet, and you... [Re: Dan_Dread]
BloodHorn Offline

Loc: Stockbridge Ga
I know my punctuation,Capitalization is not perfect, But I'm trying to work on it. I'm kind of slow learner when it comes to studying from a book. Its just the way it is. But I try to make my post the best I can. Which is better then what some do. And I guess that is what keeps me from being kicked off the forum. So thanks to those who are patient with me. It is most appreciated.

#12744 - 10/15/08 11:09 PM Re: Spelling, this forum, the internet, and you... [Re: Dan_Dread]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
Couldn't agree more. No one held a gun to anyone's head to join this site. The rules and regs are out there for anyone to read prior to posting. If a new user were to spend a little more time lurking and reading, instead of jumping right in and puking all over the forums, they would realize we hold a high standard here towards grammar and spelling. Hmm, when I went to high school back in the dark ages, we were held to these very simple standards. I guess it's true what they say about our education system today. Feed them through the chute and let society deal with them. Fuck it if they don't know how to do simple algebra or spell. Whining and complaining about the rules and regs only digs your hole deeper.

#12745 - 10/16/08 01:04 AM Re: Spelling, this forum, the internet, and you... [Re: fakepropht]
blsk Offline

Loc: salem or
NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND!!! If you can't keep up we'll all slow down for you! Can't aim that high? We'll point our reticles in the mud.

#12746 - 10/16/08 01:25 AM Re: Spelling, this forum, the internet, and you... [Re: blsk]
Nykky Offline
stranger

Loc: Northern CA
I have a hard time spelling words correctly sometimes. I have Firefox and that helps a lot. When I do post something on here or other forums that I belong to I usually take a long time submitting the post because I am rereading and editing everything I have typed. I am really good at run on sentences and I have to go back and edit stuff out all the time. I do this while writing letters to my friend in Iraq or even to my daughters teachers. When I am finished with anything written or typed I feel confident that my point has gotten across and the other person can understand what they are reading. It is very annoying to try to decipher misspelled words.

I have noticed this is something I only started caring about in the last 3 years or so. My husband is a spelling Nazi and has helped me care about how I present myself in written and typed correspondence. I still have a lot to work on but doing something to better myself makes more sense than trying to defend something I have written against others who spell and use correct grammar when I haven't.

My daughter has gotten an A in spelling for the last 4 years, she is in the 6th grade.

It has taken me 15 minutes to post this, hehe.

#12755 - 10/16/08 01:12 PM Re: Spelling, this forum, the internet, and you... [Re: Nykky]
ta2zz Offline
veteran member

Loc: Connecticut

Well said,

Originally Posted By: Nykky
I still have a lot to work on but doing something to better myself makes more sense than trying to defend something I have written against others who spell and use correct grammar when I haven't.

Better yourself do not defend or promote ignorance or laziness...

Others should carve this into their forehead in reverse so they can read it every time they look in the mirror... Free tattoo anyone? Not that mistakes do not happen... There is always some idiot who thinks it is better wasting time to try to defend their ignorance or outright laziness when it comes to presenting themselves... Even in this thread...

Thank you...

~T~

Edited by ta2zz (10/16/08 01:13 PM)
Edit Reason: heh forgot a word...

#12758 - 10/16/08 02:59 PM Re: Spelling, this forum, the internet, and you... [Re: Nemesis]
Disabuse Offline

Originally Posted By: Nemesis
"As for having one on the site, you'd have to take that up with Xear. He's the head honcho here, along with Disabuse."

It has been discussed. As far as putting one, it doesn't look like that is going to happen. There are plenty of resources available to people online to help improve their spelling and grammar already. It is ridiculously easy to obtain them as well.

As stated already in this thread, you have to be extremely lazy to not get one. And if you're truly that lazy, you have bigger issues in your life that need more attention then your publicizing thoughts on this forum.

#12764 - 10/16/08 06:12 PM Re: Spelling, this forum, the internet, and you... [Re: Disabuse]
Fabiano Offline

I hope my grammar is not too bad! I'm more used to "business English" than "usual English" or "Shakespear English"... I do my best (as usual)! I'm forced to have a french/english dictionnary next to me, or at least google translation.

I generally re-read my posts not so much for the spelling but rather for figuring out if what I've written is clear & understandable. Also to ensure it reflects the most acccuratly my thoughts. During this content review, I generally catch the spelling mistakes on the fly...

The most important for me is : Think before writing!

On the subject I like this quote from Boileau :

Quote:
"Ce qui se conçoit bien s'énonce clairement et les mots pour le dire arrivent aisément".

In English: "Whatever is well conceived is clearly said, and the words to say it flow with ease. "

And, oh yes, a last word:

Sometimes I'm lazy. I just choose the be lazy! I take the responsabilities of my lazyness off course, but I reserve me the right to be lazy.
And also, I'm always a little bit irritated with I see "rules being imposed". I don't know why, it's a kind of "repulsion gut-feeling"! After all I'm the only one who can impose rules to myself.
So I check my spelling because I just want to do it, not because of this forum rules. For instance, Nemesis, the two spaces after the period: forget about it LOL! I'll not complicate my life for that. But thanks for the tip, if one day I have to write some "important" letter, I'll remeber it...

And if one day I'm so lazy that I write a very crapy post which fuck your eyes, just skip it instead of whining and complaining about it!

#12768 - 10/16/08 08:27 PM Re: Spelling, this forum, the internet, and you... [Re: Disabuse]
Nemesis Offline

Quote:
There are plenty of resources available to people online to help improve their spelling and grammar already. It is ridiculously easy to obtain them as well.

As stated already in this thread, you have to be extremely lazy to not get one. And if you're truly that lazy, you have bigger issues in your life that need more attention then your publicizing thoughts on this forum.

My thoughts exactly, D. I think having one on the site is totally superfluous.

#12769 - 10/16/08 08:43 PM Re: Spelling, this forum, the internet, and you... [Re: Fabiano]
Nemesis Offline

Quote:
I hope my grammar is not too bad! I'm more used to "business English" than "usual English" or "Shakespear English"... I do my best (as usual)! I'm forced to have a french/english dictionnary next to me, or at least google translation.

We are quite understanding of those for whom English is a second language. Your posts are well-made for someone who is more at ease conversing in French!

Quote:
I generally re-read my posts not so much for the spelling but rather for figuring out if what I've written is clear & understandable. Also to ensure it reflects the most acccuratly my thoughts. During this content review, I generally catch the spelling mistakes on the fly...

Ahh, the magic of the "Preview Post" button...I love it too.

Quote:
And also, I'm always a little bit irritated with I see "rules being imposed".

It's because most members here are used to setting their own boundaries in life, instead of them being set down (and expected to be followed) by others. That's what makes a gathering of Satanists such a tightrope walk, whether it be virtually or in reality. I myself got a little pissy after a post I'd made on another forum was deleted as being "too risque" and not appropriate for young people (it's a budgie enthusiast forum). But, I took it in good grace, acknowledging the fact that I am not a mod there, and let the issue drop. I have been a good little boring girl there ever since.

Quote:
Nemesis, the two spaces after the period: forget about it LOL

I did some research on that, actually. Turns out that in HTML they automatically leave one space after a period, even though one might have entered two spaces. I guess it's to keep things more uniform. The double space rule was used mainly with old typewriters, and in hand writing. I still do a double space out of habit, although when it's posted on the forum it comes up as a single space. Oh well

#12770 - 10/16/08 08:49 PM Re: Spelling, this forum, the internet, and you... [Re: Nemesis]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
To everyone in general, not you Nem. What you type and how you present it is a reflection of you. 99% of us will never meet another user. We form our opinions and perceptions of each and every user based on what they type in these little boxes. If you don't care and find it ok to come across as a retard, we are viewing you as a retard. If you don't mind coming across as a drunken monkey at the keyboard, you will be treated as a drunken monkey at the keyboard. I would hope that if you were meeting someone for the first time, or going for an important interview or promotion, you wouldn't just roll out of bed, pull something out of the clothes hamper, and plop yourself in the chair. I would expect you would comb your hair, shave, brush your teeth, perhaps take a shower or dab a little perfume on, and find your finest clean outfit. You would shake hands and act like you want to be there and attentive. Why should these forums be any different? Respect, dignity, manners, and self worth. Have we forgotten these values in our pursuit to make it to 300 posts or stroking our egos?

#12772 - 10/16/08 11:03 PM Re: Spelling, this forum, the internet, and you... [Re: fakepropht]
BloodHorn Offline

Loc: Stockbridge Ga
That is very much true prophet. And I hope I have made a descent impression to everyone. As I have stated before, I know I'm not the smartest guy and that my spelling and so forth isn't the best. I am working on it to the best of my ability, And I hope that I have made some friends or at least gained some respect sense i first started posting on this forum.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  SkaffenAmtiskaw, fakepropht, TV is God, Woland, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds of which 0.002 seconds were spent on 28 queries. Zlib compression disabled.