Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#11120 - 08/31/08 12:49 AM Re: Myspace, facebook, Hi5 and the 600 club Poker game [Re: Morgan]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Loc: Adelaide Australia
Playing it safe isn't always going to win no.

A good poker player, keeps the others he plays with guessing. By this I mean, not being obvious that you have either a good or bad hand.

Knowing the odds and being able to read your aponant. Playing your position on the table properly.

IE the dealer bets last, so doesn't have to have as strong a hand as say the person betting first, because he can see what others are doing first. But if I am first, I need to be more confident of my hand, as there is more chances of someone calling or raising me.

I'm sure FP can enlighten you alot more than me. I've only been learning from websites, where as I know he's also read alot of books on the subject.

Zeph

#11129 - 09/01/08 01:39 AM Re: Myspace, facebook, Hi5 and the 600 club Poker game [Re: ZephyrGirl]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
I can go into great length on this subject. There are a million variables that come into play. Position, amount of chips, blinds, number of players, stage of the tournament, the way the other players play. But I won't. This might be better handled in a pm. I could take up a lot of banwidth with this question. To cite an example that is barely 24 hours old. I played in a tournament yesterday in Atlantic City. It was final table, and we were down to about 8 players. The short stack moved all in in first postion. He had been playing tight, hoping that others would bust out ahead of him and he could move up in money position. So this meant he had a solid hand. I was next and I looked down at Ace Queen of clubs. At the final table, this hand is a monster. I have a ton of outs, and am favored over most hands. I had more chips than him, so I pushed all in. Hoping to isolate him, and take him out and gain his chips. The chip leader folded. The guy next to me moves all in from the small blind. Now this can't be good. The big blind also moves all in. He is second in chips and has enough chips to call all of us. This is highly unusual. You rarely see four players pushing all in like this. Sincet there will be no more betting, we all flip up our hands. The short stack has the same hand as me, only AQ of hearts and diamonds. The guy next to me has Ace King unsuited. The guy in the big blind flips up 2 3 suited. Now I don't know how much time you have playing, but 2 3 suited when 3 players have moved all in is a very weak hand. It was going to cost him half his chip stack to make that call, since I had the highest amount invested in the pot at that time. He was playing very reckless. He should have folded that hand. All I remember from the flop is that it came a card, 2 3. He made two pair. Since all the rest of us had and Ace, and two of us were sharing the Queen, it would be hard for us to catch an out to win. A club did hit on the flop. Which slightly helped my hand. The next card was a dud for all of us. It was not a club, A, K, or Q. So we are all drawing dead. It doesn't matter what card comes next, we are all eliminated. I don't even remember what it was. Bottom line, a player eliminated 3 others with a shit hand. Very few players that make a living playing poker would have played the hand he did. Call it luck, but that hand never should have won. I was actually the pre-flop favorite. Only because I was suited. Well I finished 5th. In the money, but bitter as all hell. I can't fault the other players for doing what they did. No one would fold AQ or AK. So I guess this would be an example of where not playing it safe paid off big time. I could have met that dude in a side street and ripped his teeth out of his jaw for making that call. I would have still lost the pot to the guy that called with AK. But I had him covered in chips, and could have lived on compete for a better finish. Plus we would have eliminated the short stack. Now cash games are different. You have to make some risky plays. Like I said, I can go to great lengths on this subject. To answer your question, yes sometimes you have to play risky. I didn't make it to the final table by only playing KK or AA. I think the hardest part for a new player is being able to put an opponent on a hand. If you can develop that skill, and recognize when you are beat, it will carry you far. I laid down a lot of big hands that I thought were beat.

#12918 - 10/20/08 03:54 AM Re: Myspace, facebook, Hi5 and the 600 club Poker [Re: Speedy]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

I think it's time for another game.

Friday night 24 October at 9pm EST.

Saturday morning at 11.30 DCT In Austrlia

Hope to see Morgan and Ta2zz and FakeProphet, and everyone whose ever said they are interested. IF there is a few of us, it will be more fun. You've got nothing to loose.

Daevid, you should come to this one too, seeing as you are a 600club poker group member.

Zeph

#13003 - 10/20/08 10:22 PM Re: Myspace, facebook, Hi5 and the 600 club Poker [Re: ZephyrGirl]
fakepropht Moderator Offline
Big Slick

Loc: Texas
I'll have to check my stuff, but if I have nothing going on, I will be there. I have VIP status there now, so I can probably set up a table as well and might even be able to spread some perks. I will look into this. I'll be bringing my pirate's chest of chips. I can offer tips and commentary. Like I'm Johnny Chan or something, LOL.

#13005 - 10/20/08 10:30 PM Re: Myspace, facebook, Hi5 and the 600 club Poker [Re: fakepropht]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
 Quote:

You've got nothing to loose.

This is probably my most gigantic pet peeve ever. The word is LOSE.

LOOSE is the opposite of TIGHT.

Sorry, don't mind me, continue about your business.

#13117 - 10/21/08 04:09 PM Re: Myspace, facebook, Hi5 and the 600 club Poker [Re: Dan_Dread]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

You're fine. You're also right. It is lose.

But, are you game to play? That's the big question.

Zeph

#13119 - 10/21/08 04:22 PM Re: Myspace, facebook, Hi5 and the 600 club Poker [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Dan_Dread Offline
stalker

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Well I am not big on cards, so instead I'll let my deranged mind add more deviant meaning to your words ;\)

#13374 - 10/24/08 05:12 AM Re: Myspace, facebook, Hi5 and the 600 club Poker [Re: Dan_Dread]
ZephyrGirl Offline
R.I.P.

Bump for cards Friday night/ Sat morning poker game myspace, or facebook but definately 600 club

#13407 - 10/24/08 06:50 PM Re: Myspace, facebook, Hi5 and the 600 club Poker [Re: ZephyrGirl]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
hmm, not sure.
At work now and laptop is screwed, will try from home system.
I play on Poker Stars too. They are running some tournament tonight I got invited to play at.

List a place to go to after 10:30pm/11pm eastern nyc time.

see ya,
Morgan

#13706 - 10/31/08 07:53 PM Re: Myspace, facebook, Hi5 and the 600 club Poker [Re: Morgan]
Morgan Offline
Princess of Hell
stalker

Loc: New York City
I was doing some research on the hand of the moon cult when I came across this site/conversation.

http://www.politicalforum.com/religion/54899-islam-still-pagan-cult-moon-god-allah-proof.html

I think its nice to know that we are not the only place that gets xitans pushing the christ envelope. lol

Morg

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Woland, TV is God, fakepropht, SkaffenAmtiskaw, Asmedious, Fist 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.025 seconds of which 0.003 seconds were spent on 23 queries. Zlib compression disabled.